The Student Room Group

My IB Subjects..

Hi
Next year I'll be going into IB and was just wondering how tough the actual program is and whether my subject choices are alright. I'm planning to do something like chemical engineering, computer science or business & management. These are my subjects:

HL Chemistry
HL Maths
HL Economics
SL French Ab initio
SL English Lang&Lit
SL Physics

I was wondering if I should change any of the subjects, such as biology for physics or b&m for econs. :smile:
Reply 1
Hi!

Looking at the requirements of some of the top universities, your subject choices seem appropriate for either of the three courses that you mentioned. In fact, I would not advise changing anything, certainly not Biology for Physics.

While Chemistry and Mathematics HL appear essential for Chemical Engineering, some universities also require Physics. As most engineering degrees are quite physics-based, even basic knowledge acquired by taking Physics SL might prove helpful. Comparing the level of difficulty of IB Biology and Physics, to someone who is good at Mathematics (which - based on your interests - I assume you are) Physics SL should not be too much of a burden. Biology, on the other hand, will require quite a lot of memorizing, wherefore I recommend it only if you are at least moderately interested in biological processes and enjoy the subject.

Regarding the Economics/Business dilemma, most universities offering Business-related courses do not ask for Business and Management specifically, and, in case you decide to do a science degree, I do not think your Group 3 subject will really matter. Both Economics and Business develop some valuable mathematical skills, improve one’s critical thinking and have a range of applications in other areas, so either should prepare you well for university.

Finally, for you not to be mislead by my inevitable bias towards some subjects, I guess I should add that I am - or was(?) since I am sitting the May 2015 exams - doing Physics SL, Biology HL, Economics HL and have little knowledge about Business and Management as it is not offered at my school.

Best of luck! :wink:
Reply 2
your subject choices seem great! I am bearing the end of the first year of IB and I did higher maths for a while but beware... it is very hard, purely because there is so little teaching time and the questions are so abstract. Although it most likely is essential for engineering! The IB in general is pretty full on; the content itself is manageable but there is a huge workload. Although I am only in the first year I can still see how much revision I am going to have to do next year to remember everything and it's pretty tough now! However, I do not regret chips ing IB as I feel it will be worth it in the end and I've learnt more this past year than the 5 years before that. You're also never bored with our subjects because there is so much variety and the coursework, even though I haven't done much of it yet seems much more interesting and creative than that of A levels. Good luck!
Reply 3
Sorry for the spellcheck typos aha I typed that very quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending