The Student Room Group

mature student not enough ucas points advice

Im a mature student and looking to start uni at 22 I was accepted onto a sports coaching course however I realised that I actually wanted to do a sport and exercise science course however my predicted grade with my btec is too low atm. They said to get a reevaluated grade estimate but my tutor won't do that so is there no way in hell I can get into the course and the sports and excise science is the only one I want to do an. Btw my final grade will be a MMP but I need a MMM is clearing a option? Thanks
Have you checked with your tutors to see if you can resubmit any assignments to bump your grade up to the required MMM? My son was able to do this when he needed to get a DDD for a scholarship. Clearing will probably be an option, but it will be much less stress if you can get the grades.

Another option would be to start the sports coaching course, and then see if you can transfer across. Sports Coaching and Sports Science usually have the same core modules for the first year or two, so this may be possible, as long as you get good grades for your coursework once you are at university.
Reply 2
Hi ya
Do they not accept access courses or is this not a possibility ?
i d say start the sport coaching get good 1st year grades then request a transfer
Original post by claireestelle
i d say start the sport coaching get good 1st year grades then request a transfer

Would I start from year 2 if I transfer thnx
Original post by JessSLT
Hi ya
Do they not accept access courses or is this not a possibility ?

No bup thank u
Original post by Welcome2ConAir
Would I start from year 2 if I transfer thnx

You d have to check out if the modules match it varies from uni to uni what they do with transfers
Reply 7
Original post by Welcome2ConAir
Im a mature student and looking to start uni at 22 I was accepted onto a sports coaching course however I realised that I actually wanted to do a sport and exercise science course however my predicted grade with my btec is too low atm. They said to get a reevaluated grade estimate but my tutor won't do that so is there no way in hell I can get into the course and the sports and excise science is the only one I want to do an. Btw my final grade will be a MMP but I need a MMM is clearing a option? Thanks

Perhaps consider any additional training or volunteering you can undertake in order to strength your application. Your refree could then send a letter to the university suggesting that although you have missed the grade by a small margin you have undertaken additional work in order to show your enthusiasm for the course.

Quick Reply

Latest