The Student Room Group

I hate my heritage

I've never really understood why people are told to be 'proud' of their heritage and culture. Likewise, I've never understood the concept of nationalist pride, or patriotism. Basically, I hate my background, and I'm quite frankly ashamed of it. Why do I have to feel any sort of attachment to a part of me that I had no choice about.

TSRians, are you proud of your heritage, or your background, motherland, or, do any of you feel more attachment to your country of nationality that you did not originate from(e.g. Being a descendant of immigrants)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course i am proud. Its not something to be ashamed of.
Reply 2
Original post by lostwanderer
I've never really understood why people are told to be 'proud' of their heritage and culture. Likewise, I've never understood the concept of nationalist pride, or patriotism. Basically, I hate my background, and I'm quite frankly ashamed of it. Why do I have to feel any sort of attachment to a part of me that I had no choice about.

TSRians, are you proud of your heritage, or your background, motherland, or, do any of you feel more attachment to your country of nationality that you did not originate from(e.g. Being a descendant of immigrants)

Yes, I love my culture, I am mixed raced and I love it, the food, the females, the lifestyle, the everything.:tongue:

I love being Spanish/Italian.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am proud of my background, my origin, my country or whatever you'd like to call it.

At the end of the day, it'll always be a part of you, so it's best you learn how to embrace it.
Reply 4
im chinese by ethnicity but i was born and raised in london so i figure myself british. i dont feel particularly chinese apart from my looks, i mean, i dont speak it, dont know how to write it, we dont really celebrate any chinese holidays in this household either. my family is more british than anything i feel. except the food... we always have rice and im bored of it. ive grown to love... "white people food" i call it ahaha. e.g. shepherds pie etc.
What is your Heritage?
I guess I also don't understand the whole "you should be proud of your country/motherland" thing. Why should I be proud of belonging to one nation and not another? it's not like I accomplished something out of it or I did it myself. I was just born Lebanese. Live with it. Nothing to be proud or ashamed of.

I hate and I love Lebanon! I hate the corruption, the sectarianism, the instability, the violence, the lawlessness, the power cuts, the crazy driving! But I love walking through Martyrs' square in Beirut just as much, and I love my father's little home village Qana, I love the awkward way in which the country balances conservatism with liberalism and the different religions ,the beautiful mountains and landmarks,the sunset, the country's extensive history, the energy and resilience of my people, and of course our incredible food :wink:

Okay so maybe I love Lebanon a lot more than i hate it :tongue:

You mentioned nationality. Although my background is Lebanese, my family are immigrants to Côte d'Ivoire(West Africa.) I love Côte d'Ivoire just as much as I do Lebanon, and although I'm not considered a native, this is the country that I have spent most of my life so far. I cannot say I feel a stronger connection to one more than the other.

Sorry for the essay:this is so much more interesting than revising.

You are who you are OP. You don't need to feel proud of your background, but you certainly don't need to feel ashamed either :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
You should not say stuff like that, embrace who you are because you can't change your origin.
I am somewhat proud of mine, not because it's particularly amazing or heroic to be English/scottish. It's relatively boring actually. I am just proud because it's part of ME and explains where I came from and other people might be interested in my heritage too. Although I doubt it.
Every time I watch the news I feel less and less proud..
Original post by DRR Lumberjack
What is your Heritage?

South Asian
I recognise that nationality is meaningless, nationalism is cancer and letting your origin affect your future or relations is idiotic. But I still feel proud of my country (Ukraine). It seems like it is simply too instictual to love your heritage to stop yourself.
I am Bangladeshi and I'm alright with my heritage. I don't love it but I don't hate it either. Bangladesh as a country is quite interesting to visit though, part of that might be because I love animals.
Reply 13
Original post by LibertyMan
I recognise that nationality is meaningless, nationalism is cancer and letting your origin affect your future or relations is idiotic. But I still feel proud of my country (Ukraine). It seems like it is simply too instictual to love your heritage to stop yourself.

I love Ukranian culture
bear™ adores middle-class English culture. that is proper middle class, not estate agents etc.
I dislike my heritage. Never been proud of it and pretty much tried to distance myself as far away as possible with it. Although the brown skin doesn't help..

Pretty sad tbh because I don't feel a sense of cultural identity
Original post by childofthesun
and of course our incredible food :wink:

You are who you are OP. You don't need to feel proud of your background, but you certainly don't need to feel ashamed either :smile:

and incredible women :wink:
South Asian

So....you're ashamed of being South Asian?

What kind of South Asian are you?
Original post by bolly_mad
So....you're ashamed of being South Asian?

What kind of South Asian are you?

Yes

Bengali
Yes

Bengali

Indian Bengali or Bangladeshi?

Quick Reply

Latest