The Student Room Group

Jaguar Landrover Assessment Centre tips

Hi

I recently recieved an offer to go an assessment centre for the a higher apprenticeship in engineering, and I was wondering if anybody who has been successful getting onto the scheme would like to share some tips and examples on what they did.

I have been to assessment centres for both Rolls Royce and BAE Systems however I was unsuccesful in both which has been a kick in the confidence, but I am putting in extra effort to makesure I dont go wrong where I did before.

Anyway I would be very grateful for any tips you can offer, cheers in advance:smile:
Hi mate

I had my higher apprenticeship assessment centre yesterday (7th May). They said we would hear yay or nay in the next few weeks, but lo and behold I had a phone call last night offering me a spot on the scheme. I'm 28 years old and working, so I'm sure ive come at it from a different angle to most, but I'll try and be helpful.

The first thing for me was my interview. Its 1 to 1 with a JLR employee. Its mostly a behavioural interview, so try to link back to experiences you have had and reflect on how you performed. The questions are all set questions with set criteria you have to hit to score points. The assessors were all very nice in my experience so they will try and help you, if they dwell on a question or elaborate on it it means they think you can expand on your answer and score more highly, so do that! If you get a chance to talk to an apprentice there before the interview it might help you.

The practical test was very easy, but its supposed to be. What they are testing is your ability to analyse the process, suggest improvements to the process and the instructions. I had plenty of time for it too, so take your time actually doing the process and think about each step as you do it. I rushed through and it made it harder to come up with improvements afterwards.

Fact finding took me a little by surprise and i felt quite rushed. Keep in mind the company values as well as normal business practise when coming to your conclusions. You want to make money, you want to improve reputation, you want to improve relationships, you want to maintain quality and so on.

In the group exercise make sure you listen to everyone and don't be afraid to ask for more clarity if someone in the group isnt being clear but obviously be respectful. If youre able to take everything in youll be able to take some leadership over the meeting, something i failed at! And make a note of the start time!!!

There's another thread where people are unsure about wearing a suit. Its an assessment for a paid position, wear a suit like everyone else will.

Good luck.
Reply 2
Firstly I would like to say well done, we both know it's very difficult to get onto these things so well done to you, and also you must have performed very well for them to ring you the next day to tell you that you've got it.

And also can I say thanks for sharing this, it's put me a little at ease as when I went to Rolls Royce I was unsuccessful because of a technical interview, and at BAE it was company knowledge that let me down. There seems nothing here that seems to require those parts however I have still gone into overdrive learning about them just incase.

Can I just ask if they said anything about accommodation? Not as in they will provide any but more like do they do a housing event where apprentices can meet and decide on accommodation together or something along those lines? Thanks in advance.
Company knowledge will certainly help. They may not ask about it specifically, but being able to link your experiences to the company and how you think you will work within the company can only help. Part of the criteria that they are looking for (and it says this stuff all over the apprenticeship documentation) is that you can demonstrate your motivation for the role and part of that means demonstrating knowing what the role is and how it fits into the wider company.

They didn't really talk about accommodation. I was told when I had the offer that I'll be sent a facebook link so I can get in touch with all the other apprentices, which I guess would be the starting point for looking for shared housing, but nothing beyond that. I'm local to Warwickshire College, so I won't be looking to relocate in the first year so I haven't looked into it really.
Reply 4
So I went to my assessment day two days ago and yesterday I received a phonecall telling me I was successful, looks like ill be joining you on the apprenticeship.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending