The Student Room Group

Reading at uni

I heard that despite not having many hours in lectures/seminars, students are expected to read a certain amount around their topic or otherwise per week. I couldn't find the thread or site that said the amount of reading they expected you to do so can someone help me out? :-)

I'm tempted to say 600 pages a week, but I really can't remember
(edited 8 years ago)
my module handbooks all suggest you do 200 hours work for 20 credits, so taking off say 60 hours of lectures that i have, i m supposed to do 140 hours for one modules so depends how much you can read in that many hours i suppose(not that i know anyone that spends that many hours reading:P)
Reply 2
Yes, that's right. It will depend on your course. So for example if you are studying English Lit you might have to read a whole novel in time for the next lecture, but for Business Studies you might have to read chapter of a text book, or several academic papers around a topic. You will be instructed on what to read but will also have to find some of your own sources.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not as people make it. If you stay consistent with your uni work then it's very much easier than your a levels
Reply 4
I was told that the material given in lectures, was 10% of what you needed to get a good result on my course. Not only in terms of the amount of independent reading, but in developing academic skills like being critical of what you're reading (don't automatically believe that what you read is correct, and try to spot where academics disagree with each other and decide who is most likely to be right etc).

Quick Reply

Latest