The Student Room Group

History essays help

Hey guys! So I'm doing AS level history & finding it extremely difficult to answer my Russian-based questions based purely on knowledge & argument. I keep getting level 3's and am now aiming for level 4. I was just wondering if I could get any help on how to structure my argument & make it as sophisticated & coherent as possible. Help would be much appreciated thanks! :smile:
Are you doing stalin Russia and tsar/bolsh Russia??

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is how should structure it. Intro and include what's in the question and any other relevant factors. Half of the essay should be arguing for the given factor. Other half should be for the other relevant factors. Conclusion is a must so make sure you leave at least 5 mins for it and which factor is most significant relating to the question. Also after each paragraph you write make sure you link it back to the title of the question...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You're basically developing an argument so make sure you argue both sides and just use the p.e.e.l structure and include a conclusion
Reply 4
Hi! I also struggle with essays like this, though I'm doing the Cold War in Europe & not Tsarist Russia..

Some basic pointers my teacher/year 13s have given me:
1. Detail is important - make sure you use a lot/enough to support your arguments.
2. Don't narrate. You're answering a question, not telling a story. You need to be as analytic as possible.
3. Judgements!! You should reach one in every paragraph. Make them clear, and make them stand out. Implied judgements get less marks.
4. If the question mentions a factor, you need to talk about it.
5. Link back to the question - as often as is needed. According to some year 13s I know, this should happen every 7 or so lines.
6. Answer thematically - at least for OCR. I have no idea what other exam boards like, but themes and links between events are probably a good thing to include.
7. If you're running out of time in the exam - write a conclusion. My friend leaves space at the end of the paragraph she's writing to finish once she's done the conclusion. Never leave an essay conclusion-less!

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending