The Student Room Group

why do women date short men?

I was reading this post by a woman on a forum where she talked about wanting to have children. She has a husband who is only 5'4" and she is 5'1". She talked about how "she didn't care about height" but she was a little bit concerned about her children being short.

Now I'm sorry but height is a HUGE part of making your way in this world. If you're a man even more so. Masculinity and height are strongly linked. When height brings so many advantages in life: money, education, power, social status, romantic success (yes all these things are linked with height), why would you deliberately have short kids?

Why not date a man who is at least average to ensure your kids are at least approaching average themselves?

It surely can't be hard to find at least an average height man.

Parents have a duty to give their kids the best genes possible. If you care about what school your kids are going to attend then you should care about their genes too. It's bordering on child abuse to deliberately inflict a socially undesirable trait on your children.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree so much I am a girl and the first thing I notice about a guy is height it's so important and height is so so attractive to me it makes them so much more attractive and also feel more protective etc
lol this is just silly. Being short isn't the end of the world you know. My dad isn't exactly tall but my little brother is 6''1. My older brother is about the same height as my dad and he's wife still loves him the way he is, funnily enough my nephew is tall for his age. Do remember that it doesn't just stop at immediate family. Just because both parents are short, it doesn't mean the child is going to be short too.

This post just sounds like you're saying men need to be punished for being short and women should get with tall man because they are more masculine. What nonsense. It would be funny if you were to have a short son though, very funny..how would you deal with this OP?
Reply 3
Yes because being short is the worst thing in the world... said Tom Cruise never.
Reply 4
I'm 5'6 and have no problems.

Because Women want to date a grim looking 6'4 guy?
Reply 5
Loads of short peeps are highly successful but being tall is definitely better
Reply 6
Original post by phunky_fresh
lol this is just silly. Being short isn't the end of the world you know. My dad isn't exactly tall but my little brother is 6''1. My older brother is about the same height as my dad and he's wife still loves him the way he is, funnily enough my nephew is tall for his age. Do remember that it doesn't just stop at immediate family. Just because both parents are short, it doesn't mean the child is going to be short too.

This post just sounds like you're saying men need to be punished for being short and women should get with tall man because they are more masculine. What nonsense. It would be funny if you were to have a short son though, very funny..how would you deal with this OP?

Height is STONGLY hereditary. Short parents have short kids. Don't focus on the exceptions , look what happens normally.

You can very accurately predict a child's height from the height of their parents.

Add the mother’s height and the father’s height.

Add 5 inches for boys, or subtract 5 inches for girls.

Divide by two.

“Most children will reach an adult height within 4 inches of this estimation,” the site says.
From: http://www.parents.com/blogs/love-and-diapers/2012/03/07/development/estimating-your-childs-height/

Both the mother's height and the father's height matter. That's why it's imporant short women date tall men to move the height equation towards at least average.

I'm not saying short men should be punished I'm saying they're punished by society. It's called height discrimination. I've read that the difference between the pay of a 6'2" man and a 5'6" man is equal to the pay gap between men and women. It's that big of a difference.

"The average 20th-century American president, on the other hand, is 6 foot. Nineteenth-century presidents were still taller, at 5' 10". In fact, in more than half of presidential elections, the taller candidate has gotten more popular votes."

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-much-does-height-matter-career-success-shane-snow

The same results can be seen in business where the average height of CEOs and upper management is over 6'.

And yes short men are less masculine on average by defintion. Size and height are masculine qualities.
Reply 7
Original post by Rovey

How so?
Reply 8
You're right. Shortness is definitely undesirable. But then again super tall guys are also undesireable, just saying.

Yes manlets have a hard time as they lack the masculinity traits women are hardwired to seek out so if a women is trying to seek out a small guy to have children with she is not thinking about the prospects of those children socially in the future.

P.S Manlets, gain muscle. Really easy to look muscular when you're small and allows you to add the masculinity back from where you lack, as height is a symbol of strength, power and ability to protect, and muscles can give you that effect.
Reply 9
Original post by A5ko
How so?

More attractive ?
Original post by Rovey

You forgot about Tom Cruise. He's an action, movie star and he's only 5'7"!

You know what these examples are called? Exceptions. We all know about these examples because they stand out so much, they're rare.

Jusy like Muggsy Bogues the shortest ever NBA player, at 5'3", doesn't mean it's a realistic prospect for a 5'3" man to play NBA.

Short and successful are a minoroty. Most successful people are tall.

If you want to have successful kids then you need to have tall kids. Just like if you wanta kid that makes it to the NBA you need a tall kid, even if Muggy Bogues managed to make it at 5'3". You play the odds not against them.
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
You forgot about Tom Cruise. He's an action, movie star and he's only 5'7"!

You know what these examples are called? Exceptions. We all know about these examples because they stand out so much, they're rare.

Jusy like Muggsy Bogues the shortest ever NBA player, at 5'3", doesn't mean it's a realistic prospect for a 5'3" man to play NBA.

Short and successful are a minoroty. Most successful people are tall.

If you want to have successful kids then you need to have tall kids. Just like if you wanta kid that makes it to the NBA you need a tall kid, even if Muggy Bogues managed to make it at 5'3". You play the odds not against them.

But surely it's not just women that carry all the blame for going with a shorter man, if a taller man seeks out a tiny girl is he not just as responsible for not wanting a taller child ?
Reply 12
Original post by Rovey
More attractive ?

That's an opinion.

There are both ugly short and tall people.
It matters because your kids don't live in a vacuum where only their parent's love matter. The real world is very competative and judgemental: there's a limited amount of jobs to go around, there's limited places at university, or on the boards of a company. There's competition for attractive partners in relationships. Height impacts on all these areas of life.

Even if you don't care about height others will. The height of your kids will have a massive impact on their outcomes in life.

For example, if you had a kid with your boyfriend and he was 5'8" you can pretty much rule him out ever being the president of the United States, or the PM of Britain, irrespective of his other traits.
Original post by Rovey
But surely it's not just women that carry all the blame for going with a shorter man, if a taller man seeks out a tiny girl is he not just as responsible for not wanting a taller child ?

On average a tall man, short woman pairing will result in kids less tall than the man but still not short kids (see that height prediction formula I posted).

But yes if would be better if the tall man had kids with a tall woman, that way his height advantage will be passed down to the kids.

Even tall women earn more than short or average women, the difference was not as pronouncedas the difference between short men and tall men but it was significant nonetheless.

"Those who stand at 5ft8in and above are twice as likely to earn more than £30,000 a year - or up to £5,000 more than their vertically challenged friends.The researchers asked 1,461 women over the age of 16 to give details about their salary and measurements.A fifth of those questioned who fell into the 'tall' category said they earned £30,000 and above compared with 10 per cent of women under 5ft8in."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1265300/Tall-womens-salaries-leave-short-girls-shade.html#ixzz3ZR9ymN7R
It matters because your kids don't live in a vacuum where only their parent's love matter. The real world is very competative and judgemental: there's a limited amount of jobs to go around, there's limited places at university, or on the boards of a company. There's competition for attractive partners in relationships. Height impacts on all these areas of life.

Even if you don't care about height others will. The height of your kids will have a massive impact on their outcomes in life.

For example, if you had a kid with your boyfriend and he was 5'8" you can pretty much rule him out ever being the president of the United States, or the PM of Britain, irrespective of his other traits.

If you don't give birth in the USA you can rule out your child being being the President of the United States. I think that is inconsiderate and almost child abuse to give birth in any other country and therefore exclude your child from the possibility of becoming President. How could you be so cruel......
I was reading this post by a woman on a forum where she talked about wanting to have children. She has a husband who is only 5'4" and she is 5'1". She talked about how "she didn't care about height" but she was a little bit concerned about her children being short.

Now I'm sorry but height is a HUGE part of making your way in this world. If you're a man even more so. Masculinity and height are strongly linked. When height brings so many advantages in life: money, education, power, social status, romantic success (yes all these things are linked with height), why would you deliberately have short kids?

Why not date a man who is at least average to ensure your kids are at least approaching average themselves?

It surely can't be hard to find at least an average height man.

Parents have a duty to give their kids the best genes possible. If you care about what school your kids are going to attend then you should care about their genes too. It's bordering on child abuse to deliberately inflict a socially undesirable trait on your children.

Would say some women wouldn't care, unless the guy is

A: Shorter than them
B: Younger than them.

Guy could be 5'3 and only nine days older, some women wouldn't care less, only a problem if you're shorter and younger than the girl
Original post by iAmanze
You're right. Shortness is definitely undesirable. But then again super tall guys are also undesireable, just saying.

Yes manlets have a hard time as they lack the masculinity traits women are hardwired to seek out so if a women is trying to seek out a small guy to have children with she is not thinking about the prospects of those children socially in the future.

P.S Manlets, gain muscle. Really easy to look muscular when you're small and allows you to add the masculinity back from where you lack, as height is a symbol of strength, power and ability to protect, and muscles can give you that effect.

I think women think about height, allot. More than men do. Women are very sensitive to social pressures, so if we live in a society that favours tallness you can bet women are very aware of the fact.

Is it any wonder women are the gender who wear artificial height boosters such as high heels? Women are obsessed with height.

Every time you hear that women don't care about height, look around you at the percentage of women who are trying to boost their own height. I remember just yesterday reading this post by a woman who claimed she "didn't care about height" but her profile picture showed her straining in her high heels trying to eke our every last cm of height possible.

It really should be men who are given the oppotunity to wear high heels, but I don't think men are self aware about the height obsessed society they live in like women are.
Original post by may_1
I agree so much I am a girl and the first thing I notice about a guy is height it's so important and height is so so attractive to me it makes them so much more attractive and also feel more protective etc

I never really care unless they're shorter than me or younger
1. A lot of the support you use conflated correlation with causation.

2. Assortative mating. Look it up.

Latest

Trending

Trending