The Student Room Group

Computer Science

Hey there,

Hopefully next year I will be studying Computer Science in a decent University at London. I did not do A Levels and done BTEC ICT for some stupid reasons, however I love computers and technology. I taught myself some programming languages like JavaScript and Python, which I would say I know that basic. My maths level is average, I would say A-Level. The question is that I am afraid I might not cope with the subject especially the Maths in the modules. I am willing to study a lot and love the subject, since I was young I was involved with computers, and not only gaming. :P Anyone that studied this subject before please share your opinion. Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, do you do the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT?

if so, it is accepted at most universities and is good preparation for Computer Science.

I did the same one and I now study BSc Computer Science at Royal Holloway, University of London, where the offer is DDD with 4 Computing modules (OOP, EDP, Procedural Programming, Sofware D&D, Maths for IT, Data Analysis, Developing Computer Games or Networked Systems Security) or if you dont have all 4 there is another list where 2 units count as one to make the 4 required.

Other University of London Colleges that accept it include: Queen Mary, Kings College London, Goldsmiths, UCL (Info Management not CS)

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by yt7777
Hey, do you do the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT?

if so, it is accepted at most universities and is good preparation for Computer Science.

I did the same one and I now study BSc Computer Science at Royal Holloway, University of London, where the offer is DDD with 4 Computing modules (OOP, EDP, Procedural Programming, Sofware D&D, Maths for IT, Data Analysis, Developing Computer Games or Networked Systems Security) or if you dont have all 4 there is another list where 2 units count as one to make the 4 required.

Other University of London Colleges that accept it include: Queen Mary, Kings College London, Goldsmiths, UCL (Info Management not CS)

Hope this helps :smile:

Yes I'm finishing Extended Diploma, I know it gives you good offers but does it prepare you enough to cope with the University's standards? Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Massive.Attack
Yes I'm finishing Extended Diploma, I know it gives you good offers but does it prepare you enough to cope with the University's standards? Thanks for the help :smile:

Easily, in my opinion it is much better than A level Computing

and some of my uni modules have been very similar in content to my BTEC modules

what modules are your doing on your BTEC?
These are the units that I have done:

Unit 1 - Communication and Employability Skills for IT

Unit 2 - Computer Systems

Unit 3 - Information Systems

Unit 4 - Impact of the use of IT on Business Systems

Unit 7 - Organisational Systems Security

Unit 8 - E-commerce

Unit 12 - IT Technical Support

Unit 14 - Event Driven Programming

Unit 17 - Project Planning with IT

Unit 18 - Database Design

Unit 22 - Developing Computer Games

Unit 25 - Maintaining Computer Systems

Unit 28 - Website Development

Unit 29 - Installing and Upgrading Software

Unit 30 - Digital Graphics

Unit 31 - Computer Animation

Unit 39 - Web Animation

Unit 40 - Game Design
Reply 5

Unit 8 - E-commerce

Unit 39 - Web Animation

Unit 40 - Game Design

That meets the entry requirements for Royal Holloway(DDD)

And I'm sure if you achieve good grades you'll be able to get into other good University of London Colleges QMUL(D*DD) and KCL(DDD)
Original post by yt7777
That meets the entry requirements for Royal Holloway(DDD)

And I'm sure if you achieve good grades you'll be able to get into other good University of London Colleges QMUL(D*DD) and KCL(DDD)

Thanks a lot for your reply it really helped :smile:
Reply 7
Hey man, i'm hoping to do computer science after i finish my a levels in college, do you think my a level subjects are okay to study it? ' History, english literature, economics and business and government & politics' I took these a levels because i thought i was going to become an accountant or pursue that career but changed my mind :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks a lot for your reply it really helped :smile:

No worries, if you have any spare time around your compulsory units I would recommend looking at unit 26 Maths for IT Practitioners and as much programming as possible Java and OO concepts in particular
Reply 9
Original post by Hefty11
Hey man, i'm hoping to do computer science after i finish my a levels in college, do you think my a level subjects are okay to study it? ' History, english literature, economics and business and government & politics' I took these a levels because i thought i was going to become an accountant or pursue that career but changed my mind :/

Not one of those is relevant, and your total lack of maths and computing rules you out of the top unis. Won't be easy, best of luck.
Reply 10
Original post by TVIO
Not one of those is relevant, and your total lack of maths and computing rules you out of the top unis. Won't be easy, best of luck.

Damn that sucks, well if i fail one of my exams, i might try to pick u computer science as level in my A2 year. Thanks for the reply, i'm not sure what to do now :/
Reply 11
A good grasp of A level mathematics (or equivalent) is important in computer science. If anything, it serves as evidence of your problem solving ability and logical thinking. As you go deeper into a comp sci degree, there will be many areas which hugely rely on these skills, such as algorithmics.
Hey there,

Hopefully next year I will be studying Computer Science in a decent University at London. I did not do A Levels and done BTEC ICT for some stupid reasons, however I love computers and technology. I taught myself some programming languages like JavaScript and Python, which I would say I know that basic. My maths level is average, I would say A-Level. The question is that I am afraid I might not cope with the subject especially the Maths in the modules. I am willing to study a lot and love the subject, since I was young I was involved with computers, and not only gaming. :P Anyone that studied this subject before please share your opinion. Thanks in advance.

The maths is minimal on most courses, you say you know A-level maths so you'll be fine as that's all the expect. You'll be learning Logic which isn't numbers based anyways.
Reply 13
Original post by Dirtybit
The maths is minimal on most courses, you say you know A-level maths so you'll be fine as that's all the expect. You'll be learning Logic which isn't numbers based anyways.

He may not need the maths learned, but the qualification itself is required by almost all universities.
Original post by Deci
He may not need the maths learned, but the qualification itself is required by almost all universities.

Whoops, read that slightly wrong, thought he did Maths. Yeah Maths is pretty essential at most good uni's but he can still find a Uni that will accept him without. He wanted to know if he could survive through the course with the level of Maths they use anyways so I think i've answered him.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Deci

No its not, not a lot of universities actually require A levels Maths for CompSci and a few Russell group unis don't require it either, I didn't take A level maths and I got 5 offers from good universities
Original post by yt7777
No its not, not a lot of universities actually require A levels Maths for CompSci and a few Russell group unis don't require it either, I didn't take A level maths and I got 5 offers from good universities

You love bigging yourself up don'tch'ya?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Hefty11
Damn that sucks, well if i fail one of my exams, i might try to pick u computer science as level in my A2 year. Thanks for the reply, i'm not sure what to do now :/

Your situation isn't ideal, but you can still get into a decent uni without them, just not top 10-15
Reply 18
Original post by Princepieman
You love bigging yourself up don'tch'ya?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, they said that 'almost all' universities require Maths A level for CompSci when actually its the minority of universities that actually require it, and i was pre-empting a response about a uni not being good if they don't require it when actually some top unis actually dont require it, what I said about my offers was just proving my point with an example.
(edited 8 years ago)

Unit 8 - E-commerce

Unit 39 - Web Animation

Unit 40 - Game Design

what unit was your favourite? just out of interest...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending