The Student Room Group

Higher Maths, Mods, History OR Philosophy

I'm currently contemplating what subjects I should take next year. Originally I was doing Computing, Maths, English, Chemistry, Crash Higher Biology but I don't think I am capable of doing Higher Maths at this moment in time so I've decided to pick it up in S6. I am choosing between Higher History, Mods, Philosophy or keeping Maths. Which should I pick? I am more interested in Philosophy out of the three but isn't History and Mods more respectable? Which is easiest?
Reply 1
I presume you are doing N5 Maths? What have you been getting in past papers/prelims, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by JP298
I presume you are doing N5 Maths? What have you been getting in past papers/prelims, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty bad, around the 60% mark so I don't think I'd be able to handle Higher in S5
I wouldn't really do philosophy cos it's not that well perceived subject but I would say history is the best out of the two remaining. And yeah if you're getting 60% at Nat5 you would hate higher cos the jump in quantity and difficulty is huge! ;p
Ooo wb crashing physics? It would fit well with the rest of your subjects and very well perceived?
Reply 5
Original post by KG101
I'm currently contemplating what subjects I should take next year. Originally I was doing Computing, Maths, English, Chemistry, Crash Higher Biology but I don't think I am capable of doing Higher Maths at this moment in time so I've decided to pick it up in S6. I am choosing between Higher History, Mods, Philosophy or keeping Maths. Which should I pick? I am more interested in Philosophy out of the three but isn't History and Mods more respectable? Which is easiest?

I would go with History. I crashed Higher History this year from Higher Modern Studies and I coped pretty well, I'm just waiting for results day now!
I think you'll be able to cope with History! As long as you revise and of course of you enjoy the subject.
Reply 6
My Maths teacher advised me to take Higher Maths as I am looking to get a career in Computing and she said if I am struggling in S5, I can take the exam in S6. So, say I struggled with crash Higher Biology and Maths and ended up taking those exams in S6, do you think If I achieved 3 Highers in S5, I could still get in a good University if I left school with a good amount of Highers in S6? As I've read somewhere you need to achieve at least four by S5
Reply 7
Original post by KG101
My Maths teacher advised me to take Higher Maths as I am looking to get a career in Computing and she said if I am struggling in S5, I can take the exam in S6. So, say I struggled with crash Higher Biology and Maths and ended up taking those exams in S6, do you think If I achieved 3 Highers in S5, I could still get in a good University if I left school with a good amount of Highers in S6? As I've read somewhere you need to achieve at least four by S5

Best advice I could give you is look up the universities you want to go to when you leave school, right now. So when you make your S5 choices and you do end up struggling with Higher Biology and Maths, you can do them over two years so it will be classed as one sitting or even sit the exam. You might do better than expected.

Only some Uni's require specific number of highers in a certain year. For example, one might ask 5 highers in S5 then 2 AH in S6.
But, to study Computing I don't think they would. They will probably ask you to get a specific number of grades like ABBB and one must be at least, lets say computing. That is why I'm advising you to look up the universities you consider the best and what you want to go to.

I wish I had done that. But, I did 3 Higher's this year and dropped Higher English. So I'm going onto do a HND in Computing and after that go onto University hopefully third year.

Yes, you can still get into a good University if you achieved 3 highers in S5 and then more in S6. Also, I advise you to start revising very early so you aren't overwhelmed mid way in the year with tests because highers demand a lot of work and effort.
(edited 8 years ago)
Do subject you enjoy more than anything that way you are more likely to do well and be encouraged to study for them!

I done H History in S5 and loved the course but I also found it pretty time consuming so if you're wanting one thats not difficult but a lot of workload then I would go for that, if you are good at memorising a lot of stuff then go for it! Just be careful you're not giving yourself too many essays to memorise with English but its in no way impossible!

I done H RMPS this year in s6 and absolutely loved it, i found it pretty easy and relaxed and it was nice subject to take. Would have loved to have done philosophy but it wasn't offered at our school.

I took maths in both s5 and s6 ended up failing it in s5, hoping for a better result this year. Its one of those things you either get or you don't i suppose, however a lot of hard work pays off. I'd say with doing computing and chemistry and a bit in bio - i think, i've never taken it- next year you're already giving yourself a lot of maths based work so might be best not to add to that stress. Personally, I wished I had waited a year till I had more free periods to focus on it but it depends on what your plans are for S6.

I also crash highered H Geography this year and i've found it pretty easy! Not the most interesting of things but not the most dull! Just basically memorising a lot of stuff! As well as that I crash highered H Busman, would really recommend that, again just about memorising stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending