The Student Room Group

Relative molecular mass

I was doing this question in the revision book for OCR B and it is as follows:
An experiment was carried out to find the relative molecular mass of a sample of LPG. 1dm3 of the LPG had a mass of 2.25g at RT and pressure. Calculate a value for the relative molecular mass of this sample. Assume that 1 mole of gas occupied 24dm3 at RT and pressure.

The answer states that it is 2.25 x 24 to get to 54 but I'm not sure how they got to that. If someone could explain I'd appreciate it ty.
Original post by misteltain
An experiment was carried out to find the relative molecular mass of a sample of LPG. 1dm3 of the LPG had a mass of 2.25g at RT and pressure. Calculate a value for the relative molecular mass of this sample. Assume that 1 mole of gas occupied 24dm3 at RT and pressure.

The answer states that it is 2.25 x 24 to get to 54 but I'm not sure how they got to that. If someone could explain I'd appreciate it ty.

I would divide moles by 24 (understand why? 24 dm3 = 1 moles, so 1 dm3 = 1/24 moles)
do mass (g) / n (moles) = rmm (theres a formula triangle for this you should learn which comes in useful) Not sure why the mark scheme did that...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jacksonmeg
I would divide moles by 24 (understand why? 24 dm3 = 1 moles, so 1 dm3 = 1/24 moles)
do mass (g) / n (moles) = rmm (theres a formula triangle for this you should learn which comes in useful) Not sure why the mark scheme did that...

So if 1/24 =0.04 moles, using m/n = Mr would be 2.25/0.04 to get 56.25? That's how I was planning to use the triangle but I'm not sure if this even makes sense lol anyone got anything else?

Struggling with simple mathematics :facepalm:
So if 1/24 =0.04 moles, using m/n = Mr would be 2.25/0.04 to get 56.25? That's how I was planning to use the triangle but I'm not sure if this even makes sense lol anyone got anything else?

Struggling with simple mathematics :facepalm:

Yes that's what I did to work it out
Reply 4
Yes that's what I did to work it out

y u do dis mark scheme. Someone put us out of our misery
y u do dis mark scheme. Someone put us out of our misery

You won't be marked down because my method is correct, what level is this?
Reply 6
You won't be marked down because my method is correct, what level is this?

AS. It's not a past paper or anything so I'll overlook it I guess. Thanks for your help!

The answer states that it is 2.25 x 24 to get to 54 but I'm not sure how they got to that. If someone could explain I'd appreciate it ty

I agree with jacksonmeg.
what i did was see how many moles are there in 1 dm3:
24dm3= 1mole
1dm3 = x
then cross multiply to find x = 1/24 (don't change it to decimals)
next, use the formula relative molecular mass = mass/number of moles
which is 2.25 / 1/24 = (exactly) 54.
hope i could help! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
[QUOTE="O/LSHAMINI;55556597"]

The answer states that it is 2.25 x 24 to get to 54 but I'm not sure how they got to that. If someone could explain I'd appreciate it ty

I agree with jacksonmeg.
what i did was see how many moles are there in 1 dm3:
24dm3= 1mole
1dm3 = x
then cross multiply to find x = 1/24 (don't change it to decimals)
next, use the formula relative molecular mass = mass/number of moles
which is 2.25 / 1/24 = (exactly) 54.
hope i could help! :smile:

Thank you very much! Funny how changing it to decimals and then dividing makes such a difference -_- appreciate the help x
[QUOTE="misteltain;55558107"]
Original post by O/LSHAMINI

Thank you very much! Funny how changing it to decimals and then dividing makes such a difference -_- appreciate the help x

No problem! Glad to be of help! 😀

Quick Reply

Latest