The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry Unit 3B Edexcel IAL 2015 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

I wrote the skeletal formula for 1,2-dibromocyclohexane instead of didplayed formula!!!
and anyone knows why glass wool is better than filter paper? I wrote less transfer loss as filter paper absorbs the product.

For drying agent, I wrote to remove water from a mixture...
Original post by PlayerBB
What did you guys answer, why we can't measure the ∆H for the thermal decomposition of NH4Cl?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friends said temperature change of heating process cannot be measured.
Original post by MadZler
carboxylic acids and alcohols. I said dehydrating agent removes an OH group which is bonded whereas a drying agent just removes water from the solution.

It was a tertiary alcohol though :smile:

Yeah it's tertiary alcohol but I messed up and said tertiary oh group so I guess they'll put it wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jasmine:))))
My friends said temperature change of heating process cannot be measured.

Oh, I guess he/she is right, I didn't know what to write so I wrote because ∆H is very low

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MadZler
That one is always dodgy for me... I said since the products are gases they would escape so energy will leave the system.

I wrote that but I crossed it out, Idk why though I just thought that the answer is wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wrote the skeletal formula for 1,2-dibromocyclohexane instead of didplayed formula!!!
and anyone knows why glass wool is better than filter paper? I wrote less transfer loss as filter paper absorbs the product.

Same I wrote because filter paper absorbs some of the product decreasing the percentage yield

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I guess he/she is right, I didn't know what to write so I wrote because ∆H is very low

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote coz the products are gases. Temperature of gases are hard to measure.
Well, it just costs 1 mark,I think it won't affect the grade,haha.
I wrote that but I crossed it out, Idk why though I just thought that the answer is wrongPosted from TSR Mobile

Isn't it because heat input needed from the Bunsen, etc for decomp to happen, is so high that deltaT is waaaay smaller in comparison and hard to measure? I dunno.
(edited 8 years ago)

Hahaha YEAH!

Posted from TSR Mobile
@tsano-chan Yeahh I thought about it like this and because it is very low it's hard to measure, idk actually haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Same I wrote because filter paper absorbs some of the product decreasing the percentage yield

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm I just said it was finer :P
I messed up on the graph. :/ i hate myself for that. I drew an exothermic one instead of endothermic!!!
Ughhh

I wrote the same thing :smile:
Reply 33
Hey guys, what did you get for the Enthalpy change question? q=mct, then q/moles but what did you use for moles? It said in the question it used 1 mol, but my friends said otherwise. My final answer was 1.10kJmol^-1

I literally wrote the exact same thing for filter paper! Yayy!!
I forgot what I got but this the one mole is the mole ratio, I calculated the number of moles of the not excess I forgot :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheMadHatteress
I literally wrote the exact same thing for filter paper! Yayy!!

But like is it right because filter paper absorbs some of the product, there will be more transfer loss?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
For the e=mct did you use 25 or 30 grams for mass?
How did your Hess cycle look like?
Reply 38
Original post by MadZler

It's 25 because you only take liquids into account, which was the water. My Hess cycle went something like this: http://i.imgur.com/rnOZAD5.png
Original post by MadZler

I took 25 and I messed up with the Hess cycle as I forgot the arrow pointing to the left

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest