The Student Room Group

Computer science applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be doing outside of school. I've done a bit but should I be seething up my own business and become ceo of Google to even be given a chance?? Jk but serious how much is enough
Original post by Icamehereforfunk
Does anyone have any advice on what I should be doing outside of school. I've done a bit but should I be seething up my own business and become ceo of Google to even be given a chance?? Jk but serious how much is enough

Have you looked at codeacademy?
AABB at AS looking forward to doing a Computer Science Degree (grades permitting ofc :biggrin: )

Applying to:

Sheffield
Bath
Exeter
Warwick

and one other... just need to figure out what that is -_-
Original post by Bobjim12
Have you looked at codeacademy?

I have but I found it much easier to just look at other peoples code and change it a bit :smile: I created a phone app about commercial airlines in year 10 using query phone gap build. Using Python created a s u v a t calculator for a physics project and done a lot of stuff on my raspberry Pi including built a robot :smile: but my main worry is not done any Java or C yet apart from a small amount of C on the Pi. I've also read the singularity is near as part of wider reading
Original post by Icamehereforfunk
I have but I found it much easier to just look at other peoples code and change it a bit :smile: I created a phone app about commercial airlines in year 10 using query phone gap build. Using Python created a s u v a t calculator for a physics project and done a lot of stuff on my raspberry Pi including built a robot :smile: but my main worry is not done any Java or C yet apart from a small amount of C on the Pi. I've also read the singularity is near as part of wider reading

I would personally say there's no need to start those as you learn those at Uni anyway.
Reply 25
I am going for:
Oxford
Imperial
Ucl
Warwick
Idk about 5th, probs Kent. Any recommendations?

Also, anyone else applying to oxford besides Princepieman ?
AABC at AS with mitigating circumstances, and C pending remark.

Durham - AAA
York - AAB (hopefully)
Nottingham - AAB
Manchester - AAA
Warwick - AAA

Either Durham, Warwick or Manchester will be my firm dependent on which give me offers, and then Nottingham or York shall be my insurance :smile:

I was considering applying for Oxford despite the very low chance of an offer. I had 64% attendance this year which is reflected in my results, but I have very genuine reasons. If my remark came back and raised me to AABB, I may consider it and go all out with my personal statement.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ryanroks1
AABC at AS with mitigating circumstances, and C pending remark.

Durham - AAA
York - AAB (hopefully)
Nottingham - AAB
Manchester - AAA
Warwick - AAA

Either Durham, Warwick or Manchester will be my firm dependent on which give me offers, and then Nottingham or York shall be my insurance :smile:

I was considering applying for Oxford despite the very low chance of an offer. I had 64% attendance this year which is reflected in my results, but I have very genuine reasons. If my remark came back and raised me to AABB, I may consider it and go all out with my personal statement.

If your 2 As are maths and further maths then go for it i say, it will depend a lot on the MAT in turn.
Reply 28
Hey there, studying BTEC level 3 Extended Diploma in IT, Welsh Baccalaureate as well as GCSE English and Maths (Mature student that has yet to do GCSEs). Currently have D*D* in my BTEC after first year under the new rules.

I'm currently looking to apply to the following universities:

Newcastle University - MComp CS with Year in Industry
Newcastle University - MComp CS with Game Engineering and Year in Industry
Swansea University - MSci CS with Year in Industry
Kings College London - MSci CS
University of Nottingham - MSci CS

My firm would be Newcastle's straight CS course as it has many interesting modules, most of which are very industry related. Insurance would be Swansea as they are my local university and have attended a summer university program there this past summer, plus the CS department have shot up the rankings to rank 23rd or so.
Original post by cnova
Hey there, studying BTEC level 3 Extended Diploma in IT, Welsh Baccalaureate as well as GCSE English and Maths (Mature student that has yet to do GCSEs). Currently have D*D* in my BTEC after first year under the new rules.

I'm currently looking to apply to the following universities:

Newcastle University - MComp CS with Year in Industry
Newcastle University - MComp CS with Game Engineering and Year in Industry
Swansea University - MSci CS with Year in Industry
Kings College London - MSci CS
University of Nottingham - MSci CS

My firm would be Newcastle's straight CS course as it has many interesting modules, most of which are very industry related. Insurance would be Swansea as they are my local university and have attended a summer university program there this past summer, plus the CS department have shot up the rankings to rank 23rd or so.

Why waste an option on an identical course that you can move into at Newcastle? Just throw in another uni altogether - the department doesn't favour those who apply to multiple courses within it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Princepieman
Why waste an option on an identical course that you can move into at Newcastle? Just throw in another uni altogether - the department doesn't favour those who apply to multiple courses within it.

I only put that down as I couldn't really find any other courses that met my criteria of:

Offering an Undergraduate Masters course

Accepting my BTEC qualification

Interesting units (Robotics, Security, Games etc)

Decently ranked

My previous option was Birmingham but they've changed their entry requirements for 2016 onward. Other than this, I was looking at perhaps Royal Holloway instead of the second Newcastle option as the course there seems great, but I've read a lot of conflicting posts with mixed feelings on the place, more specifically its location of being on the outskirts of London.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by cnova
I only put that down as I couldn't really find any other courses that met my criteria of:

Offering an Undergraduate Masters course

Accepting my BTEC qualification

Interesting units (Robotics, Security, Games etc)

Decently ranked

My previous option was Birmingham but they've changed their entry requirements for 2016 onward. Other than this, I was looking at perhaps Royal Holloway instead of the second Newcastle option as the course there seems great, but I've read a lot of conflicting posts with mixed feelings on the place, more specifically its location of being on the outskirts of London.

Royal Holloway, MSci Computer Science (4 years)
Games and Robotics programming in first year
DDD in BTEC IT Extended Diploma
Not ranked too bad either
Reply 32
Original post by yt7777
Royal Holloway, MSci Computer Science (4 years)
Games and Robotics programming in first year
DDD in BTEC IT Extended Diploma
Not ranked too bad either

Cool, the course sounds like it's right up my alley. However, what's the university itself and the surrounding area like? I've read on here and other outlets that it's rather dead and expensive?
Reply 33
Original post by cnova
Cool, the course sounds like it's right up my alley. However, what's the university itself and the surrounding area like? I've read on here and other outlets that it's rather dead and expensive?

The university campus itself is really nice (look at some pictures), however you're right it can be quite dead, but it is what you make it, there is something to do every night you just have to find it, the SU is open 2 nights per week, the pub across the road has a student night on Mondays which is always a good laugh and then there is Liquid in Windsor (a short bus trip away), in terms of finances, it is really good, its actually in Surrey which makes it really cheap and you still get London funding (an extra £2500) when actually its like 30/40 mins away from London, I actually pay less for my accommodation (around £4000 per year) than ALL of my friends who went elsewhere in the country and because of the 'University of London' status my maintenance loan is much bigger then theres and I dont need to have a job at uni because of that extra money, i actually have lots of extra money to do what i want with, its really beneficial

I also did the BTEC Extended in IT, if you decide to apply check if you cover the correct units from this list
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by yt7777
if you decide to apply check if you cover the correct units from this list

Other than the quietness, that sounds great. I think I'll book an open day visit. I just checked that list and I've got four from the first list and seven from the second, so np on that front.

Thanks for answering my questions, it's really helpful! A few more, if you don't mind... What's the accommodation, internet at accommodation and SU like, more specifically society and nightlife wise?

Thanks again.
Doing CS with business/management/accounting + a year in industry

Anyone else going down this route?

Manchester AAA (1st choice)
Bath AAA
Birmingham AAA
Kings AAB (probably insurance)
Queen Mary (BBB)

I only got BBCD at AS though so without good enough predictions this list is sure to change.
Reply 36
Original post by cnova
Other than the quietness, that sounds great. I think I'll book an open day visit. I just checked that list and I've got four from the first list and seven from the second, so np on that front.

Thanks for answering my questions, it's really helpful! A few more, if you don't mind... What's the accommodation, internet at accommodation and SU like, more specifically society and nightlife wise?

Thanks again.

Thats awesome, i think I only had about 8 all together :P

No worries at all, the accommodation is really nice, its mostly on campus which is a really good experience for first year and i have never had any problems with the internet (although i know someone in another block had complaints), the SU is good, 2 nights per week the SU is like a night club and its a really good laugh, i dont really get into the society side of things but the Computing society is meant to be really good
Reply 37
Original post by yt7777
Thats awesome, i think I only had about 8 all together :P

No worries at all, the accommodation is really nice, its mostly on campus which is a really good experience for first year and i have never had any problems with the internet (although i know someone in another block had complaints), the SU is good, 2 nights per week the SU is like a night club and its a really good laugh, i dont really get into the society side of things but the Computing society is meant to be really good

After reading your thoughts on the place, I started researching the societies and the course modules and I've got to say, it looks like a hidden gem. I've decided that the MSci CS with year in industry is going to be my final university choice, thanks for the information.
I have yet to decide my final list of universities... really hard choice
How much of an experience would be good? I know none is really needed, but it would be a nice bonus. CS GCSE or A Level are not offered at my school sadly
Reply 39
Original post by cnova
After reading your thoughts on the place, I started researching the societies and the course modules and I've got to say, it looks like a hidden gem. I've decided that the MSci CS with year in industry is going to be my final university choice, thanks for the information.

Awesome! No worries at all, im just about to start my second year and im hopefully going to transfer onto the MSci course when i get back

Also look into the funding situation, it is the only uni i believe where you get this, it really is great, you pay the same sort of costs as most other places in the uk but get an extra £2500, makes things so much easier

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending