The Student Room Group

Computer science applicants 2016

A new thread for anyone applying for computer science 2016 entry.

So where are you going to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which A levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bumping this.

I'm applying to:

Oxford (it's a yolo choice, don't really care what happens) - CS and Philosophy
Bristol - Maths +CS (or Nottingham for Data Science)
Warwick - Discrete Maths
Durham - Computer Science
KCL - CS with a year abroad
Original post by Princepieman
Bumping this.

I'm applying to:

Oxford (it's a yolo choice, don't really care what happens) - CS and Philosophy
Bristol - Maths +CS (or Nottingham for Data Science)
Warwick - Discrete Maths
Durham - Computer Science
KCL - CS with a year abroad

How come you didn't go for the Computer Science degree?
Original post by Juichiro
How come you didn't go for the Computer Science degree?

It's essentially a Maths and Computer Science degree. Plus, looking at the structure of the programme, there seems to be a lot of flexibility in terms of what modules you can do - i.e. you can take some economics modules or stats modules if that interests you.

Honestly, I made the mistake of not applying for the degree I actually like last year - which would be a healthy combo of Maths + CS. I found that the normal CS degree was too practical (too much programming) and didn't delve deep enough into what underpins it all: the maths.
I applied last year for a straight CS course and got 4/4 offers but taking a gap year now due to finances.. was a bit disappointed with my results I must say. Getting myself ready for like 3-4 rejections this year, hopefully atleast one of them gives me an offer.

Princepieman, didn't you do CS at Nottingham? What was your overall experience of the uni and the course itself? Also, might be a bit of a longshot, but could I take a look at your personal statement? Kinda struggling for inspiration on how to improve it this time.
Reply 6
Straigt CS at:

Cambridge or Oxford - can't decide between the two. Loved both cities, loved Cambridge a bit more. Both courses seem great, would be happy to end up at either. Got quite low UMS averages, so I'll try doing some MAT past papers to see if I have a chance at Oxford.
Bristol
Edinburgh
Imperial - not sure. Maybe I'll swap it for some other non-London uni.
UCL
Reply 7
Applying for CS at:
Imperial
Warwick
Bristol
Manchester
Birmingham
Original post by Rabadon
Applying for CS at:
Imperial
Warwick
Bristol
Manchester
Birmingham

Original post by mnk179
Straigt CS at:

Cambridge or Oxford - can't decide between the two. Loved both cities, loved Cambridge a bit more. Both courses seem great, would be happy to end up at either. Got quite low UMS averages, so I'll try doing some MAT past papers to see if I have a chance at Oxford.
Bristol
Edinburgh
Imperial - not sure. Maybe I'll swap it for some other non-London uni.
UCL

Between Nottingham (their Data Science course) and Bristol, which would be better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BlueWolf16
I applied last year for a straight CS course and got 4/4 offers but taking a gap year now due to finances.. was a bit disappointed with my results I must say. Getting myself ready for like 3-4 rejections this year, hopefully atleast one of them gives me an offer.

Princepieman, didn't you do CS at Nottingham? What was your overall experience of the uni and the course itself? Also, might be a bit of a longshot, but could I take a look at your personal statement? Kinda struggling for inspiration on how to improve it this time.

Nope, didn't get in on results day.

I'm doing 3 A-levels in a year this time round, and praying to the gods that be for offers.

Yeah, of you want to look at my old PS - just PM me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Straight CS at:

Imperial
Cambridge,
KCL
Bath

KCL and Bath with years in industry.

I am thinking of UCL as my 5th, sort of imperial reject place, but i have heard the CS department has degraded in the last couple of years?
Original post by Princepieman
Between Nottingham (their Data Science course) and Bristol, which would be better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be very confident in saying Bristol. Theyre very high in both guardian/CUG rankings (I understand rankings aren't the be all and end all) compared to notts.
Original post by Rabadon
I'd be very confident in saying Bristol. Theyre very high in both guardian/CUG rankings (I understand rankings aren't the be all and end all) compared to notts.

Great, thanks for your input!

It's just a struggle because the on-campus accommodation at Notts is cheaper and within walking distance from the CS and Maths lectures. Whereas, Bristol has a much better rep and a somewhat better choice of modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LANCASTER!!!! loved it so much :smile: I got ABBC as AS so not flying as high as you guys but all the same have a great love for the subject :smile: anyone else in the lower grades position??
Original post by Icamehereforfunk
LANCASTER!!!! loved it so much :smile: I got ABBC as AS so not flying as high as you guys but all the same have a great love for the subject :smile: anyone else in the lower grades position??

I'm assuming you went to the open day at Lancaster.. What did you honestly think of it? I'd very interested in applying there too.
I'm assuming you went to the open day at Lancaster.. What did you honestly think of it? I'd very interested in applying there too.

I did indeed :smile: I just enjoyed how homely it felt, they have designed all the accommodation to look like houses which was really unique. The college system was such a good idea as you could live with like minded people. I'm thinking of Grizdale or Bowland. The Info Lab building where you study Computer Science is very modern with large glass frontage and the view from the top floor was stunning. The academics were patient and really explained why our code my not be working and not just provided a fix. If you have any other questions please ask as I'm happy to share my experience with others
Original post by Icamehereforfunk
I did indeed :smile: I just enjoyed how homely it felt, they have designed all the accommodation to look like houses which was really unique. The college system was such a good idea as you could live with like minded people. I'm thinking of Grizdale or Bowland. The Info Lab building where you study Computer Science is very modern with large glass frontage and the view from the top floor was stunning. The academics were patient and really explained why our code my not be working and not just provided a fix. If you have any other questions please ask as I'm happy to share my experience with others

Cool. What did you think of the town itself?
Still cant consider between
CS with business and accounting or
Cs with maths

Going for
Queen marry
Kings college
City
Cool. What did you think of the town itself?

The town is quite far away from campus so will be a short bus ride or car journey if you are lucky enough :smile: all the colleges haves bars and common rooms so I'm thinking going into the town won't be that frequent. However I did visit it when leaving and the buildings are made out of traditional limestone which makes things look pretty but also good town centre and sainsburys etc
Reply 19
Any opinions on Middlesex. Planning to apply...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending