The Student Room Group

AS Psychology Edexcel - UNIT 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Llvdr
Im very nervous about tomorrow. I'm currently answering the questions from the unit guide x

I can't count how many times I've done that just to check my weaknesses haha.
I might do that for recap revision now actually, seems most appropriate just in case there is anything I can answer!
Good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure you'll do fine x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
I'm really worried about the evaluations of theories in cognitive! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sop98
Help needed with Sheirf et al

Anything specific??
Reply 63
I know the evaluation point but I feel like I might get them all confused and muddled up! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by aglitterofleonie
Im doing interference theory of forgetting and this evaluation would score full 6 marks:
The theory has evidence from research such as McGeoch (1932) who showed that students are more likely to forget information from topics that are more similar in nature (1st mark). This suggests, for example, that revision psychology should not be followed by sociology as the learning of one will interfere with the recall of another (2nd mark). However, the majority of supporting experiments are lab based + use nonsense syllables to demonstrate interference (3rd). The research therefore has low ecological validity + interference is much less easier to demonstrate when meaningful real life material is used (4th). Moreover, other theories have focused on lack of retrieval cues as an explanation of forgetting (5th). Interference theory places too much emphasis on activity bet the learning of information and recall, ignoring internal and external cues (6th).

Just to make sure that youll get full marks, always try and include one more point than necessary. So for example say that, because the research is based on lab experiments, the studies have strong control over extraneous variables, standardised procedures and can therefore be replicated. This means that they can be tested for reliability and that it is likely that the IV affected the DV, allowing cause and effect relationships to be drawn.
Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you! I'm doing interference too, so this was great :biggrin: Can I know the source of this? Did you write it or was it from a textbook? Curious cause I didn't come across a study by McGeoch :/ Good luck for tomorrow
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by max320
If it's about agent if state compare to social power theory (more types of authority, less of a description to obedience than the agency theory) for about a line. (1 mark?)

Also in a scenario say that the leader may be charismatic (1 mark)

SIT compare to realistic conflict theory and define (people fight over resources through competition) (2 mark)

On a few mark schemes these have been on there though not social power theory but it seems relevant and is mentioned on the aspsychology101 agency theory pdf page.

Good luck

Thank youuu! Yes sorry I forgot to mention, I was talking about SIT. But those were some helpful points! Good Luck to you too :biggrin:
Reply 66
Can someone explain the results of Craik and Tulvings 1975 study please. I find it very confusing from student guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please tell me that displacement won't come up as a 12 marker? There's literally no evaluation in the edexcel book. Why put in questions that you don't even provide answers to in your own damn book? :frown:
Original post by Hannahloulou98
Any predictions for what might come up? My teacher thinks Displacement for the 12 marker:smile:

isn't that unit 2 though for psychodynamic ?
Original post by Llvdr
Can someone explain the results of Craik and Tulvings 1975 study please. I find it very confusing from student guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing you're asking for the results only. 65% of words processed semantically were recognised. 36% for phonetic and 17% structurally. These are concluded from stage 1 where participants were shown a list of 60 words and after each one they were asked a question which was structured so it was processed in one of the 3 ways; semantic, phonetic or structural.
Original post by Trolleybaby
We have eye witness testimony and football violence too and I really like them both as key issues haha.
I think Hofling et al/Sherif et al may come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teachers also predicted Hofling and Sherif.
Original post by dominika98
isn't that unit 2 though for psychodynamic ?

It's one of the theories of forgetting from the Cognitive Approach.
Original post by beast709

Oh the 2 theories of forgetting im doing is the trace decay and cue dependent
Does anyone have good evaluative points for the weaknesses of the multi-store model please? I only have two and my second point isn't very expanded and will probably only give me one mark, if that. Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 74
Please tell me that displacement won't come up as a 12 marker? There's literally no evaluation in the edexcel book. Why put in questions that you don't even provide answers to in your own damn book? :frown:

I hope it isn't coming up to. Though 6 mark max would be ok, unless you can bring in evaluation of the multi-storey model of memory though that may not provide very valid points for evaluation. Of the displacement theory, ideally I would prefer social to come up, such as a scenario, or a case study.
Reply 75
Does anyone have good evaluative points for the weaknesses of the multi-store model please? I only have two and my second point isn't very expanded and will probably only give me one mark, if that. Much appreciated :smile:

It has been found that there may be several forms of long term storage, facts skills and events (?) as shown by HM and so may be oversimplified.

Doesn't explain flashbulb memories ..... That's all I can think of for weaknesses many strengths/supporting studies though
Reply 76

Funny thing though is that repression is a cognitive form of forgetting and may be used as evidence when justifying a scenario involving recall, quite weird....?
hey guys, has anyone got any good links they could share with me on some info for a describes and evaluate cue dependancy theory please? thank you
Original post by max320
It has been found that there may be several forms of long term storage, facts skills and events (?) as shown by HM and so may be oversimplified.

Doesn't explain flashbulb memories ..... That's all I can think of for weaknesses many strengths/supporting studies though

Do you think it will matter if I have an unequal amount of strengths and weaknesses. For example, 3 strengths and 2 weaknesses?
Reply 79
Do you think it will matter if I have an unequal amount of strengths and weaknesses. For example, 3 strengths and 2 weaknesses?

Nah not to those proportions, I think you could have 10 strengths and 2 weaknesses and not be penalised (if the question was long enough) though having no weaknesses may be a bit of a gamble though as long as the strengths are valid points they they should be getting you some points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending