The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Does repeating a year /resitting modules hinders your opportunity to apply for master

If someone needs to either repeat a year or resit a modules which will be stated on your final year of transcript. But though still get a decent results in the end.

Does the fact that you have repeated a year or resit some modules hinders your opportunities in applying for masters.

Or as long as you have got a decent results it does not matter too much
Original post by Muffins11
If someone needs to either repeat a year or resit a modules which will be stated on your final year of transcript. But though still get a decent results in the end.

Does the fact that you have repeated a year or resit some modules hinders your opportunities in applying for masters.

Or as long as you have got a decent results it does not matter too much

Seriously it is how you have overcome a bad situation that is more relevant. I don't think it will be held against you. Just as an aside I heard this being shared by a Nobel prize winner from Sheffield University, Sir Richard Roberts - that he resit his A levels, got a 2:1, completed his PhD research within year 1, and that it is not how you start but how you finish. I think his talk is on YouTube.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by GandalfWhite
Seriously it is how you have overcome a bad situation that is more relevant. I don't think it will be held against you. Just as an aside I heard this being shared by a Nobel prize winner from Sheffield University, Sir Richard Roberts - that he resit his A levels, got a 2:1, completed his PhD research within year 1, and that it is not how you start but how you finish. I think his talk is on YouTube.

Thanks for your reply. I was more referring to repeating third year at university which will be stated on the final year of transcript so when it comes to applying university for masters or jobs they will request for the transcrpt so they will know that someone has repeated.
Which is slightly different to alevels once you resit your makers will places to contribute to your overall grade .
I'm resitting a year at LSE right now and although I don't know how it will affect job prospects etc since I'm not there yet, I know it was better for me to resit than to continue onto second year and struggle with the increase workload. As GandalfWhite said, it's about overcoming a bad situation. If you can justify why resitting was the best thing for you to do and how you have bettered yourself from it, I don't think it can have a negative impact on your future.
Original post by Muffins11
Thanks for your reply. I was more referring to repeating third year at university which will be stated on the final year of transcript so when it comes to applying university for masters or jobs they will request for the transcrpt so they will know that someone has repeated.
Which is slightly different to alevels once you resit your makers will places to contribute to your overall grade .

I think most employers don't look at transcripts. You just state your degree class and the appropriate modules you took in your CV. After your first job nobody cares about modules and transcripts, just your degree and more importantly your experience and whether you can contribute to the company. The academic past is less relevant and not necessarily the best predictor of future success. Don't worry too much. One more story ... I know of a medic who failed a year, repeated as external student, reentered the uni upon succeeding in his external exams and hv gradually worked himself to be a Professor of Medicine in a large UK university.
Original post by yayifications
I'm resitting a year at LSE right now and although I don't know how it will affect job prospects etc since I'm not there yet, I know it was better for me to resit than to continue onto second year and struggle with the increase workload. As GandalfWhite said, it's about overcoming a bad situation. If you can justify why resitting was the best thing for you to do and how you have bettered yourself from it, I don't think it can have a negative impact on your future.

Yes. Nothing new or unusual with students over partying or underestimating their 1st year especially. Universities know it happens. Never too late to pick yourself up and get back on track. Best wishes on our studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending