The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chakede
i think the consensus ppl take from this thread for the meaning of benefit' is that claimed by those not working.

there are of course benefits paid to working ppl like working tax credits, which most ppl im sure would agree are a good idea

Yes i did clearly understand what this thread did mean Chakede.But it does get on my nerves sometimes when people start classing everyone whose on benefits as work shy and benefit scroungers.When as i said in previous replies in this thread that not everyone on benefits are work shy but they are on benefits because of health reasons.They are as you stated above other individuals who get working tax credits because they work. Thats the point that i was trying to make Chakede,there is a small majority on benefits because they ill or disabled or even elderly,yets not forget the elderly here
Original post by illegaltobepoor
I personally have Autism and I get really annoyed when people walk up to me and say your not disabled. There have been dozens of times where I have almost exploded inside with anger but I know that if I even raise a hand to someone I will end up being sectioned under the mental health act and will have to wait at least 6 months before getting discharged out of the funny farm hospital.

There are a couple people on TSR who try and tell me what I am and what I am not. At best they are trolls trying to get a reaction because they think Autism is funny. Its not a joke. It really isn't.

I really do feel sorry for people who have really severe Autism. They really struggle to control their behavior. But your right there are genuine mental health patients out there. A lot of them really do try but there are people who will literally take disability benefits and then work on the side in full time jobs. It really is disgraceful.

The people who my relative cares for definitely do not have autism. The company doesn't cater for the sector of health provision.

I'm a medic, I understand the implications of autism and I don't think you should have support taken away. That doesn't change the fact that we shouldn't try and weed out fake claimants. Equally, we need to stop support given to those who were once considered mentally disabled but who now simply abuse the system because that's the easiest thing for them to do. There are people I've met personally on community placements who suffered from 'depression' 15 years ago and are now prozac-dependents who sit around doing nothing to help themselves, all whilst wasting taxpayer money on special brew and fags.

I don't care if it sounds 'harsh', we have to stop stimulating a culture whereby work doesn't pay.
Original post by yoshibuster
One thing I don't understand is that people in this country always seem to make a big deal out of those claiming welfare.

Because they are gratified by being able to feel superior to someone else. It is one of the few pleasures in otherwise miserable, narrow little lives
People will attack the faceless and the voiceless for self-esteem reasons.

When economy does well, people attack them.

When it struggles, people have friends or family who receive financial aid, or do so themselves, so they're more aware of the **** people who need that aid can be put through, and it's the politicians who are attacked for human rights-bending treatment of their vulnerable vulnerable relatives or friends.

Then when the economy goes back, everyone in their circle has a job, and the unemployed or disabled become faceless, and thus easy to ridicule.
[video="youtube;YCqOifWetbU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCqOifWetbU[/video]
lol You can tell who here has lived on a council estate and who hasn't.

I remember when people used to purposely flood their (I say theirs - I mean which they live in) houses/flats so that the council/housing associate would pay to have it redecorated.

The current administration probably did use a sledgehammer to crack a nut and some geneuinely vulnerable (the minority mind you) got needlessly affected. But the way it used to be was a joke. But then a lot of you lot wouldn't know that.
Original post by KimKallstrom

I remember when people used to purposely flood their (I say theirs - I mean which they live in) houses/flats so that the council/housing associate would pay to have it redecorated.

The current administration probably did use a sledgehammer to crack a nut and some geneuinely vulnerable (the minority mind you) got needlessly affected. But the way it used to be was a joke. But then a lot of you lot wouldn't know that.

It's gone from one extreme (letting things fly) to the other (taking advantage of the vulnerable, discrimination, sanction targets). Neither are acceptable.

You don't seem to quite understand how much of a minority you're talking about. People flooding their homes for redecoration, that's just insanity. It happened, and it may have been brought to light, but that doesn't mean it's even a large minority.

But the minority of genuinly vulnerable who have been affected badly may not even be a minority. You're making the assumption that the majority of people getting financial aid are doing it to be lazy. Level of exposure does not equate to proportion.

A lot of the vulnerable are being attacked by the DWP, because they're going after everyone. If you lock up half the population, you get all the criminals off the streets. Who cares about all the innocents?
Original post by yoshibuster
One thing I don't understand is that people in this country always seem to make a big deal out of those claiming welfare. 'My hard working tax money' ' I don't want my preciously earned taxes going to single mothers', but do these people even pay attention to where ELSE their 'hard earned money' goes? You never hear them speak about it, it's just scroungers this, scrounger that...People like David Icke are right here, surely?

I mean why do people get so up in arms about someone on £50 a week on JSA, but they don't care if a rich, overweight, flabby politician spends some of their hard earned money on stuffing his face with sandwiches and kit kats each week? What about all those illegal wars your tax money paid for?

I have been on benefits before and also worked and it didn't bother me at all that I paid tax that went to help out single moms and those in desperation.

In a country that is still ruled by a monarchy, how can a guy claiming 50 quid a week or 300 quid a week housing benefit and eating tesco value noodles for dinner be your enemy?

It's because the media always show stories like "This woman with a back problem who managed to have 10 kids claims 96K in benefits a year". This is a true story, about a woman who had scoliosis - a spine deformation. It doesn't stop you from working at all - as a sufferer of it, I know this. She had 10 children so obviously it wasn't severe as you can't really have children if you have a severe form. She has no good reason for being out of work and claims an awful lot of money. These are the only stories you hear about in the news, and they make your everyday working person think that every person claiming benefits is the same as this. It's the newspapers and media that are to blame for the attitudes, because they always sell stories of the extremes, rather than the norm.
Benefits should be a safety net. People do fall on hard times, become single parents due to unforeseen circumstances, lose their jobs that they believed were secure, get sick, end up with a disability that means they cannot work. This is what the state should be for, to help these people who through no fault of their own need assistance throughout hard times of unforeseen mishaps of life.

While I do understand that it is a minority of people who are so called 'benefit scroungers', a relaxation on who can claim benefits does encourage a dependency culture and a belief that the state owes them something. I have sympathy for those listed above, I really do. But for the majority of cases, benefits should never be a permanent solution. The single parent can get a part time job when their child starts school, could ask for help from their parents if they're lucky enough to have ones that are willing to help. Those who've fallen on hard times can get a cleaning job to get them by while they're trying to get back onto their feet. Of course these are textbook solutions, problems occur in the real world. But as long as benefits don't stop people being encouraged to strive to help themselves then the safety net is no more and dependency culture is spread.

The real world is tough, but we all have to work hard to get where we want to be. Dependency culture does not encourage hard work, it simply encourages laziness and wasted resources.
Reply 169
Blame it on the press. I personally have nothing against genuine people in need of some help from society. All the best.
Original post by lankyryan
Its not all people on benefits, its those who can work, but choose not to, as they cant be bothered, the culture where Labour made it possible for those who were not in work to earn more than those who do.

Hearing of families that have 8 children who get a free 6 bedroom house, free car and living fairly lavish lifestyle's funded purely by the tax payer, is quite disgusting. This was fairly common place where I used to live

I don't think Labour made it possible for those not in work to 'earn' more than those who were.

Why would they do that?

Unless you are referring to isolated cases where there is a family with lots of children.

Also you say it's disgusting but of course the main advantage of working is in order to get a mortgage and buy a house which is the main way most people get on in this country.

Those on benefits will never own a home. Plus what would you do with the children of such a family?

Whatever it is it I wonder if some may deem it to be even more ' disgusting'
Original post by KimKallstrom

How many times did someone do this that you know of?

How long would they have had to wait to have their flat redecorated do you know?
As of 2014 the IMF classed Britain as the 5th richest country on the planet yet we have trouble feeding our own people.

I'll tell you what the problem is; we live a country where envy and hate are being encouraged by the ruling class.
There is no wonder everyone is arguing for the crumbs off the rich mans table because the politicians, media and establishment are encouraging people to do harm to each other.

Its like how chunkymark artist taxi driver says!

LOOK AT THEM! LOOK AT THEM OVER THERE!
ARE YOU ON BENEFITS?? ARE YOU ON BENEFITS??
YOU DIRTY SCROUNGER!
WHERE HERE WORKING OUR GUTS OUT!

BLAH BLAH BLAH!

Fear, hate and prejudice.

[video="youtube;eWyKkVF23xE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWyKkVF23xE[/video]
The public dislike unemployment benefits and migrants using any kind of benefit.

The latter is justified the former is not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The answer is simple: because they've been told to hate them.
People have ill feelings towards those whom they see as abusing the welfare state because they're paying for it. That's pretty obvious and perfectly sensible.
I think I can sum this up in two words.

Daily Mail.
Of course the people you are talking about are the same peoplewho actively condone corporations and rich people dodging taxes. lmao the only scroungers in the world are the elite. They scrounge off the 99%, not the other way around.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
People have ill feelings towards those whom they see as abusing the welfare state because they're paying for it. That's pretty obvious and perfectly sensible.

It's not just towards people abusing the system. It's also towards those of us who aren't abusing the system who they think are.
Original post by OU Student
It's not just towards people abusing the system. It's also towards those of us who aren't abusing the system who they think are.

I don't think anyone thinks that people (genuinely) on disability are abusing the system. Maybe the odd person does, but I'm sure they're a minority, and my comments obviously aren't directed towards that.

Latest

Trending

Trending