The Student Room Group

Why do a lot of the British public hate people on benefits?

One thing I don't understand is that people in this country always seem to make a big deal out of those claiming welfare. 'My hard working tax money' ' I don't want my preciously earned taxes going to single mothers', but do these people even pay attention to where ELSE their 'hard earned money' goes? You never hear them speak about it, it's just scroungers this, scrounger that...People like David Icke are right here, surely?

I mean why do people get so up in arms about someone on £50 a week on JSA, but they don't care if a rich, overweight, flabby politician spends some of their hard earned money on stuffing his face with sandwiches and kit kats each week? What about all those illegal wars your tax money paid for?

I have been on benefits before and also worked and it didn't bother me at all that I paid tax that went to help out single moms and those in desperation.

In a country that is still ruled by a monarchy, how can a guy claiming 50 quid a week or 300 quid a week housing benefit and eating tesco value noodles for dinner be your enemy?

Scroll to see replies

Because people only care about themselves. The down-and-outs can stay that way. It's basic human instinct. People like scapegoating.

Media outlets with huge influence will spin facts and tell the populace exactly what they want to hear - with absolutely nobody bar left-wing Labour voters bothering to read statistics on benefits. Some absolute nonsense is spouted on the effects of immigration on the welfare budget.
its just a group people can scapegoat without looking at the bigger picture
Reply 3
When people say, "it's terrible our money goes to benefit scroungers," what they're really saying is, "we're better than these people."
We're are British, we like to look down on those we identify as lesser than us.

Of course, this all ignores that the majority of people on benefits are working. It also ignores that virtually everyone is more than happy to collect any benefit they are entitled to.
Its not all people on benefits, its those who can work, but choose not to, as they cant be bothered, the culture where Labour made it possible for those who were not in work to earn more than those who do.

Hearing of families that have 8 children who get a free 6 bedroom house, free car and living fairly lavish lifestyle's funded purely by the tax payer, is quite disgusting. This was fairly common place where I used to live
Nobody looks down on them unless they are actualy scroungers, the fakers. Genuine people with disability and stuff, nobody looks down on them for getting benefits.
Its not how much they deserve it that people care about, its the fact that they are getting something for nothing. People don't like that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yoshibuster
One thing I don't understand is that people in this country always seem to make a big deal out of those claiming welfare. 'My hard working tax money' ' I don't want my preciously earned taxes going to single mothers', but do these people even pay attention to where ELSE their 'hard earned money' goes? You never hear them speak about it, it's just scroungers this, scrounger that...People like David Icke are right here, surely?

I mean why do people get so up in arms about someone on £50 a week on JSA, but they don't care if a rich, overweight, flabby politician spends some of their hard earned money on stuffing his face with sandwiches and kit kats each week? What about all those illegal wars your tax money paid for?

I have been on benefits before and also worked and it didn't bother me at all that I paid tax that went to help out single moms and those in desperation.

In a country that is still ruled by a monarchy, how can a guy claiming 50 quid a week or 300 quid a week housing benefit and eating tesco value noodles for dinner be your enemy?

Original post by lankyryan
Its not all people on benefits, its those who can work, but choose not to, as they cant be bothered, the culture where Labour made it possible for those who were not in work to earn more than those who do.

Hearing of families that have 8 children who get a free 6 bedroom house, free car and living fairly lavish lifestyle's funded purely by the tax payer, is quite disgusting. This was fairly common place where I used to live

Humans through out history up to this today often support something even if it is not likely to be in their interest. It happens all around the world. People are also not easily persuaded with the facts as long as their opinions are backed up by hearsay and anecdotal evidence. The overwhelming majority (backed up by the Government figures let alone independent studies) of those on benefits are the working low pay, disabled and pensioners but as long as they see one benefit scrounger they take that and happily inflate the reality to reaffirm their initial opinion.
(edited 8 years ago)
People always have to blame something....
Where are all these people though that live in a housing benefit paid for mansion and have 8 kids dressed in designers paid for by welfare? I have never ever seen anyone like this who lives on benefits. Most families I know who are long term claimants are still poor as hell and can just about afford to get by on cheap/crappy food. Are we supposed to penalize them for having an iphone and a laptop? Well how is anyone supposed to even function without the internet in modern life?

I have lived on council estates my whole life and known many 'benefit families' and none of them at all lived like we keep hearing about how they have 3 holidays a year, have a luxury kitted out car, a big house all paid for by the taxpayer. Where are these people? Most people on long term benefits don't even have a passport so how can they be holidaying and living on the hog on your taxes?
Reply 12
Not everyone on benefits deserves or is entitled to them.

The Queen never worked a day in her life, but I bet you've been the first to send your congrats to Wills and Kate on their new arrival. Lol
Original post by A5ko
Not everyone on benefits deserves or is entitled to them.

So what would you do with the single moms and their kids, put them on a chimney sweep?
Original post by Reformed2010
Humans through out history up to this today often support something even if it is not likely to be in their interest. It happens all around the world. People are also not easily persuaded with the facts as long as their opinions are backed up by hearsay and anecdotal evidence. The overwhelming majority (backed up by the Government figures let alone independent studies) of those on benefits are the working low pay, disabled and pensioners but as long as they see one benefit scrounger they take that and happily inflate the reality to reaffirm their initial opinion.

This was not hearsay, or an opinion, and it was not 1, or 2, this was a good 20-25% of the town. I dont doubt that nationally this is not the case, but you vote for things that are relevant to you, your own experiences, and this was mine, an attitude of "Whats the point in going to work to get money when you can claim it off the government anyway", and this was when I was in School, where many people wanted to just claim money off the government than go out and work.
Reply 16
So what would you do with the single moms and their kids, put them on a chimney sweep?

I said some, not all.

(Not everyone..)
The Queen never worked a day in her life, but I bet you've been the first to send your congrats to Wills and Kate on their new arrival. Lol

how sad. your Sovereign has worked tirelessly for our nation for almost eighty years.

I am going to write a poem to celebrate the wonderful birth of our new Princess.
Working in social care I've seen people with disabilities really struggling because of not getting what they are entitled to, sadly I've seen some cases of people that were plain lazy not wanting to work and making a living on benefits and that really infuriates me, while the welfare system is made to help people in need, it's exactly them that don't get what they should do sometimes.

I once worked with a guy that was forced to get a job (otherwise he was going to lose his benefits), he was a health guy in his thirties. He came me with a terrible attitude (like deserving a prize for just showing up in work) and at some point he even said openly that work is not his thing and he would rather be on benefits and he likes living like that -saying it exactly in those words, my boss really had a go at the guy for saying this calling him all sort of things. Needless to say that he did everything he could just to get sacked, so he could go back on benefits. This workplace was in a hotel, in the end he tried so hard that he nearly got assaulted by one of the chefs, getting himself and the chef sacked. Sorry to say, but to me this guy is a social parasite, there was no reason for this guy to get benefits as he should be in a job. In the meantime I got a work colleague suffering of CKD stage 3 and diabetes type one on insulin pump, he can barely drag himself around sometimes and he works over 40 hours weekly, barely in his mid-forties...how is this fair?

'Not all' does not mean 'most'

Latest

Trending

Trending