The Student Room Group

How to motivate yourself?

Hello,
I was wondering how people have motivated themselves and not got distracted by the internet and/or gaming. I have been doing revision while in college and a little on week days and more of week ends but I feel I could do more but then I get tired and want to relax and end up playing video games *cough* Skyrim *cough* for too long :frown: Anyone got any tips?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
bae motivates me :love:
Original post by Dinaa

How?
Reply 3
It depends on what subjects you are doing. If you do maths, which is a favorite of mine, just set yourself a sort of time award for completing a past paper like 30 minutes per paper completed for free leisure time and have time after dinner free for what you want too. If you're strict and keep to the scoring then it gives a great sense of relief when you're spending that 30 minutes of gaming time that you've actually earned and you wont feel guilty.

Or you could make a timetable for yourself in your free time which will give you a que when you need to start working.

You could have set times at which you vcan do what you want, mine personally is a Saturday.

Another way is to get someone you live with or a sort of parental control on your games device to prevent you from playing at certain times.

Hope this helps, I know how hard it is to keep motivated with me being a gamer whilst doing A-levels!
When I studied for A-levels, especially for some really boring subjects, I motivated my self by constantly considering how life will be better and how happy I will be with myself once I finish. perhaps you will feel more energized by being one step closer to fulfilling your goal.

Also try to scare yourself into action by asking : What is the cost (financial, emotional) if I don't do well?.

Really hope this helps.
Think about how **** you will feel on results day if you get a bad grade and how that will impact your whole life, and how you might as well have been playing on your computer the whole year and not bothered going to college/sixthform if you turn up with U's not saying you will. So my advice would be turn off the computer and lock your phone away or something and start revising. Equally if the temptations are too much to handle at home go to your local library or round a friends house to revise.

Try chunking down revision into like hour or so chunks with like a few minutes gap inbetween to make give yourself a little break, and try and use what ever type of revision works best for you.

The top bit may sound a bit harsh but in all honesty I have seen it happens to friends and it is heartbreaking to see.
Reply 6
think about how you will feel on result day, think about the time, think about how much your parent put together to put you there and just like someone said, think about getting it done once and for all. Mostly i find myself studying when the thought of the amount my dad spends on my fees comes to my head, that really motivate me and the ambition of making it big in life. i hope that helps.DONT LET YOUR PARENTS DOWN{:colondollar:my motivational quote}
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Needs2Achieve
How?

Well, lets say I am sub and he is Dom.

I do as he says and he cares about me and knows these exams mean a lot to me, so he tells me what to do e.g. 5 flash cards a day for psychology/tests me on things I find difficult to remember.

:love:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
luckyyyyy
There are a few ways both long term and short term that I stay motivated.
Long term:
- Think about the grades I need to get into uni
- Look at early works from AS level and see how I have improved; this reminds me I can still grow if I work hard
- Imagine the life I can lead after Uni if that is on the cards
- This one is more specific to what I'm studying but I imagine the people I can help if I become a Psychologist
Short term:
- Set a timetable and Stick to it. I find planning specific pages, questions etc to do is better than just saying I'll revise any topic from x subject for y hours.
- Equally when setting a timetable I set small tasks and study a variety of subjects in my day to make it manageable and prevent boredom
- Use a variety of revision techniques to spice it up; flash cards, quizes, reading, exam questions etc
- Leave study things around the room to remind and motivate me e.g posters on my walls
- Have a reward system, I like to watch an episode of house after I've done a good thunk of revision (say 2-3 hours)
- Take small breaks to walk around, get a drink etc
- Set a timer, sit down and work until it goes off no exceptions
- A change of scenery is good too, if you associate a environment with fun you may find it harder to study there, I like the local and college library as well as my dining room table or desk when at home.

I think the most important thing in general is to try and make you revision sustainable and manageable, you may be able to do 1-2 exam papers a day for a week but you probably won't stick to it, a timed section of a paper every 2 days and a timed paper a day on the weekends however is much better and you'll probably stick at it for longer leading to more revision in the long run! Definitely remember to treat yourself otherwise you'll get burned out and loose motivation!I like to have a few hours off on Wednesday evenings to go on family walks and wind down, it gives me something to look forward to during my 3 hour english class too :smile:
Original post by Needs2Achieve
Hello,
I was wondering how people have motivated themselves and not got distracted by the internet and/or gaming. I have been doing revision while in college and a little on week days and more of week ends but I feel I could do more but then I get tired and want to relax and end up playing video games *cough* Skyrim *cough* for too long :frown: Anyone got any tips?
Thanks in advance :smile:

Cameron will **** me over if i fail my exams. Thats what motivates me.
I'm lately not feeling motivated but i don't look to extrinsic motivation because it's artificial and doesn't really help long term

I think if i was on study leave it'd be better, because then you have more autonomy, you're more responsible for your own learning, you realise you're doing this because you personally enjoy the subjects and want to, and school takes that away by being really controlling and setting a million mocks in the run up to exams to further lower our morale

i think being part of groups like TSR helps, really get involved in threads about your subjects and discuss things and build momentum up from there, we can push each other up to the top that way, it helps you get enthusiastic about your topics when other people are too and you're excited together, just get lost in it

Now i need to go do this stuff too
Original post by Dinaa

Omg same here!
Original post by ImNotReallyMe
I'm lately not feeling motivated but i don't look to extrinsic motivation because it's artificial and doesn't really help long term

I think if i was on study leave it'd be better, because then you have more autonomy, you're more responsible for your own learning, you realise you're doing this because you personally enjoy the subjects and want to, and school takes that away by being really controlling and setting a million mocks in the run up to exams to further lower our morale

i think being part of groups like TSR helps, really get involved in threads about your subjects and discuss things and build momentum up from there, we can push each other up to the top that way, it helps you get enthusiastic about your topics when other people are too and you're excited together, just get lost in it

Now i need to go do this stuff too

Thank you people :smile: i dont have enough time to thank you all indiviually as i am busy revising right now :wink: aha :tongue:
Original post by EraseMeElysion
There are a few ways both long term and short term that I stay motivated.
Long term:
- Think about the grades I need to get into uni
- Look at early works from AS level and see how I have improved; this reminds me I can still grow if I work hard
- Imagine the life I can lead after Uni if that is on the cards
- This one is more specific to what I'm studying but I imagine the people I can help if I become a Psychologist
Short term:
- Set a timetable and Stick to it. I find planning specific pages, questions etc to do is better than just saying I'll revise any topic from x subject for y hours.
- Equally when setting a timetable I set small tasks and study a variety of subjects in my day to make it manageable and prevent boredom
- Use a variety of revision techniques to spice it up; flash cards, quizes, reading, exam questions etc
- Leave study things around the room to remind and motivate me e.g posters on my walls
- Have a reward system, I like to watch an episode of house after I've done a good thunk of revision (say 2-3 hours)
- Take small breaks to walk around, get a drink etc
- Set a timer, sit down and work until it goes off no exceptions
- A change of scenery is good too, if you associate a environment with fun you may find it harder to study there, I like the local and college library as well as my dining room table or desk when at home.

I think the most important thing in general is to try and make you revision sustainable and manageable, you may be able to do 1-2 exam papers a day for a week but you probably won't stick to it, a timed section of a paper every 2 days and a timed paper a day on the weekends however is much better and you'll probably stick at it for longer leading to more revision in the long run! Definitely remember to treat yourself otherwise you'll get burned out and loose motivation!I like to have a few hours off on Wednesday evenings to go on family walks and wind down, it gives me something to look forward to during my 3 hour english class too :smile:

Great advice! Im trying to remind myself how much more prepared and less stressed i will feel once I've put the hard work in. Really hard to keep motivated! Keep reminding myself that it will all be over soon!
Original post by littlelm
Great advice! Im trying to remind myself how much more prepared and less stressed i will feel once I've put the hard work in. Really hard to keep motivated! Keep reminding myself that it will all be over soon!

Thanks, I do exactly the same. Knowing I'll be able to relax once the exams are over and even be less worried about the exam as I've experience of plenty of past papers is nice.

Quick Reply

Latest