The Student Room Group

Why do we have unmyelinated neurones?

Why do we have unmyelinated neurones in some parts of our body? what is the advantage of having these neurones since they conduct the nerve impulse slower?

thanks
bump
Original post by EliteHoneyBadger
Why do we have unmyelinated neurones in some parts of our body? what is the advantage of having these neurones since they conduct the nerve impulse slower?

thanks

A simple reason is that the neurones have just evolved to be that way. From my knowledge, the CNS requires myelinated neurones to transfer electrical impulses quickly and communicate with the brain and spinal cord. The peripheral nervous system doesn't need such efficiency in communicating electrical signals like the CNS, and makes do just fine with unmyelinated neurones. Also think about the functions of both nervous systems and why the CNS requires higher conduction rates.

I don't think there is any selection advantage of having unmyelinated neurones. I haven't done much reading around the area though.
It's a massive waste of energy to myelinate neurones which aren't involved in life or death situations. Schwann cells need energy to survive too and you don't wanna be just throwing energy away at things that aren't important
thanks for your answers!
Reply 5
Original post by EliteHoneyBadger

thanks

You don't necessarily need all types of information to travel to the brain at maximum speed - the neurons that deliver information on pain, for example tend to be unmyelinated.

There's also the issue of length. If you have a very short neuron, adding myelin probably won't make a huge difference to speed of conduction since it took so little time to begin with, compared to saltatory conduction in a very long neuron.
Original post by Eloades11
I don't think there is any selection advantage of having unmyelinated neurones. I haven't done much reading around the area though.

Unmyelinated neurons are more resistant to hypoxia. Could have something to do with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending