The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry Revision Guides

OK, this topic has probably come up before but I can't find it. So which revision guides (or textbooks) would you recommend for AS Edexcel Chemistry? I have a Collins one for Edexcel Bio, which has been excellent - perhaps something along those lines? I really want to get an A in Chemistry, but I've been neglecting it a bit for the past few weeks due to the January exams :redface: Thanks!
The Nelson Advanced unit guides for Edexcel are good, but in addition to that, I'd strongly recommend the NAS 'Make the grade' books. These NAS books are written by chief examiners, and all that... It includes the relevant stuff you need to know for the edexcel syllabus. Also at the back of the book there are a few past questions. The make the grade books are good for revision, they have lots of questions, with answers, as well as all the points listed that you should know. Also it has all the organic reactions listed in there, which includes the correct conditions and reagents (which the actual markschemes follow - sometimes some textbook answers aren't accepted by edexcel), I found this most useful.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Letts Study guides, quite concise, but does the job. Textbook go for Advanced chem for you.
Reply 3
I like the Letts Success Guides. I've been using them ever since my year 9 SATs. They're actually good, plenty of visual and laid out in a intelligeble manner. Unlike those damned CGP books :P
Reply 4
Mustard-man
The Nelson Advanced unit guides for Edexcel are good, but in addition to that, I'd strongly recommend the NAS 'Make the grade' books. These NAS books are written by chief examiners, and all that... It includes the relevant stuff you need to know for the edexcel syllabus. Also at the back of the book there are a few past questions. The make the grade books are good for revision, they have lots of questions, with answers, as well as all the points listed that you should know. Also it has all the organic reactions listed in there, which includes the correct conditions and reagents (which the actual markschemes follow - sometimes some textbook answers aren't accepted by edexcel), I found this most useful.

Hope this helps :smile:

Looks like an ideal choice! :smile: Thanks, I'll definitely get that one.

I think I may get a Letts one too, but the problem is that there are so many of them :confused: What are the differences between these?

Success Guides
Revise AS
AS exam secrets
AS in a week

???
Reply 5
get these two if you need a textbook type of thing, Success Guides and Revise AS, buy either one.

The other 2 basically help you on exam technique and skills, personally id buy both, and have. Their both excellent in their own ways. If you only want to buy 1, buy the revise as chem in a week.
Excalibur
Looks like an ideal choice! :smile: Thanks, I'll definitely get that one.

I think I may get a Letts one too, but the problem is that there are so many of them :confused: What are the differences between these?

Success Guides
Revise AS
AS exam secrets
AS in a week

???

I didn't find the AS in a week one particularly useful, it was too brief and just didnt suit me. I used the exam secrets, its pretty good, its all questions though, so you need a revision guide aswell. I don't know about the other two. I can see why you're confused though, there's soo many different revision guides and they all seem so similar, its really hard to decide between them.
Reply 7
DO NOT BUY AS LETTS for Chemistry... It is ****!
Reply 8
Mixed responses then :p:
Reply 9
no, it is absolute crap! ive just started doing a unit 2 paper for my resit in january and half the stuff isnt in the letts book.... (hence ive opened that other topic) my CGP A2 guide is really good though...
I do OCR and Heinemann is the best for that. I agree that Letts and CGP are both dreadful. I also have one of those Collins Exam Practice books, and they're quite good for any exam board i think... you can get them for about £2 from The Works.
Make the Grade is probably the best revision guide for Edexcel Chemistry.

Latest