The Student Room Group
Reply 1
That's strange, my college encourages people to resit, even if they got an A, for UMS marks.

I reckon that every college is aloud to do whatever it wants, maybe it finds that pupils do less well in their A2's through focussing too much on their AS's and doesn't allow it.

The only thing i can advise is that you present your case to someone in charge, or you tutor first and ask him/her if they think that the college will make an exception for you.(That is, assuming that you wish to resit and can't)
Reply 2
BeesKnees
My college only allows two resits per subject for the duration of the A level course. Most people in other colleges/sixth forms seem to be able to resit as many times as they want/need to. Are they really allowed to impose this sort of restriction? :mad:

If they pay for your resits - then that's understandable. But if you pay for them, thats ridiculous tbh lol. We were encouraged to resit modules to get as many UMS marks in the bag as we can, but we pay for them.
I've heard that quite a few schools/colleges do that actually. As Adthegreat said, maybe it's because they don't want people concentrating too much on AS resits at the detriment of their A2s. I agree with -Arctic-Monkey- that it's fair enough if your school pays for them, but if you pay for them, it should be up to you.......even though a limit on resits would give the A-level system back some much needed credibility, but that's just my personal opinion and I won't go into it :p: Anyway, you could try offering to pay for a resit yourself and arguing why you should be allowed to do it, or if that doesn't work, you could always enter elsewhere as a private candidate.
Reply 4
BeesKnees
My college only allows two resits per subject for the duration of the A level course. Most people in other colleges/sixth forms seem to be able to resit as many times as they want/need to. Are they really allowed to impose this sort of restriction? :mad:

It's their school therefore their rules!
Reply 5
_-Arctic-Monkey-_
If they pay for your resits - then that's understandable. But if you pay for them, thats ridiculous tbh lol. We were encouraged to resit modules to get as many UMS marks in the bag as we can, but we pay for them.

Nope, they don't pay for our resits :rolleyes: .

kellywood_5
even though a limit on resits would give the A-level system back some much needed credibility

I agree but at the same time when it comes to A levels i'm competing with the rest of the country, not just the students at my college. At other schools many are re-taking A levels just to raise UMS marks and that option isn't available to me- gives them a slight advantage grrrr. It does push me to work hard though coz I can't afford to do badly in many modules :p: .

Thanks for the responses.
BeesKnees
I agree but at the same time when it comes to A levels i'm competing with the rest of the country, not just the students at my college. At other schools many are re-taking A levels just to raise UMS marksand that option isn't available to me- gives them a slight advantage grrrr. It does push me to work hard though coz I can't afford to do badly in many modules :p:

I'm sure that doesn't happen at any normal schools, ie comprehensives and colleges as opposed to grammar and private. The overwhelming majority of resits at my school were to turn Us into passes or Ds and Es into acceptable grades. Everyone, including my teachers, thought I was mad for resitting a module I got a B in, so I think it's safe to say that no one ever resat to get a higher UMS mark! As you said, it gives you that extra push to work hard and do well the first time, and when you get good results, you can be proud that you did it without multiple resits.
My school limited me to something like 4 subjects in total. I just resat the other ones elsewhere, and well, I showed them! :proud: They were saying about it affecting my A2s, which I feel isn't that good a reason because who really does intense revision at the mid-point of their A2 year? Besides, it forces you to revise the AS stuff, thus gearing you up more for the synoptic stuff at A2. However, for some reason they didn't limit our retakes in the Summer (June) session :s-smilie:
I'm not sure if my school limits the number of re-sits we can do in the summer, but they won't let us do any in January, because it will aparently disrupt our A2s. Me and loads of other people are doing them at another centre anyway, but it costs more money, and we're gonna have to skip school to go to the exams:rolleyes: For resits in the summer we have to get a form signed by the head of subject to say we can, and some of them were saying no to too many resits. I agree its stupid that schools have these rules, by the time you get to sixth form they should give us more freedom, a and it should be up to you what you re-take. If you want to do more resits, just do it as a private candidate at another centre.
Reply 9
Yep

Latest