The Student Room Group

Mhairi Black, the new 20 year-old SNP MP. Too young?

I can't be the only one who finds electing a 20 year-old student ridiculous?

It makes me question the rationality of the average SNP voter if they're happy to elect someone so young into such a mature and demanding position. I don't think any 20 year old is old enough or experienced enough in the world of politics to take on such an important role.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Wow, at least give the girl a chance to prove herself before you judge her on her age.
Might be well good, I dunno but she gorged off the universal snp success. To be honest, I don't think it will hurt to have someone young in there as they can almost give a new opinion and perspective
Nope too young. She's pretty much my age, and that sort of position requires experience.
If she can shout loud enough during PMQs she is old enough.
Nope.
Reply 6
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Nope too young. She's pretty much my age, and that sort of position requires experience.

I sense envy.
Original post by Reluire

It makes me question the rationality of the average SNP voter if they're happy to elect someone so young into such a mature and demanding position. I don't think any 20 year old is old enough or experienced enough in the world of politics to take on such an important role.

Thoughts?

My thoughts? She's a woman in a position of power and obviously men don't like that and they will chip away at her credibility till she resigns or is out stead.
Reply 8
The people in that area made a conscious choice to vote for her, so if the quality of the representation is not what they expected, they only have themselves to blame.

People experimenting with different ideas is a part of democracy. If she's not mature enough, then the people would learn not to vote for somebody as inexperienced as her again.

But first give her a chance to prove herself. Please.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Reluire

That is for the electorate to decide. The decided that was fine. To just dismiss anyone because they are below say 25 is ageist and a bit stupid. What you gonna do? Ban people of a certain age from standing?

Original post by Eva.Gregoria

She is going to get a **** tonne of experience now at such a young age.

Just because you don't even vote doesn't mean other 20 year olds aren't good enough to stand for election :tongue: (the smiley means I can get away with being a cocky knob, hopefully)

*zing*
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daenerys...
My thoughts? She's a woman in a position of power and obviously men don't like that and they will chip away at her credibility till she resigns or is out stead.

Oh my days! I can't believe you're still keeping up this act.:lol:

It's getting tedious.

Don't you get tired of pretending?
Reply 11

This has nothing at all to do with feminism or sexism. :s-smilie:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That is for the electorate to decide. The decided that was fine. To just dismiss anyone because they are below say 25 is ageist and a bit stupid. What you gonna do? Ban people of a certain age from standing?

Interesting how some people are always going on about letting young people have a voice as they're the future, yet moan when one actually gets somewhere :rolleyes:
Original post by Reluire

Thoughts?

A 20 year old who's worked, owned a business or invented something... sure.

A 20 year old student who may never have worked in a day in her life.. hope she's kicked out as soon as possible.
Reply 14
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

With most things, I would agree. I mean, I support votes for 16 and 17 year olds. But a 20 year-old student becoming an MP? Too young for such a mature role. I suspect this wasn't so much a vote for her as much as it was a vote for the Scottish nationalist cause. I don't think they cared who stood for the SNP, they just weren't going to vote Labour or Tory.

If men don't like women in power then why is Thatcher is revered and why is May 1st or 2nd at the bookies.
...why would they choose a 20 year old though? a publicity stunt I bet
Original post by Novascope
Interesting how some people are always going on about letting young people have a voice as they're the future, yet moan when one actually gets somewhere :rolleyes:

Does make me wonder what I am doing with my life sat in my pants in my room all day though :s-smilie:

She is only 20 :eek3:
(edited 8 years ago)
Looks older than 20, and even though there are a lot of mature 20 year olds, I can't imagine anyone my age having anywhere near enough experience with this type of stuff
Original post by Reluire
With most things, I would agree. I mean, I support votes for 16 and 17 year olds. But a 20 year-old student becoming an MP? Too young for such a mature role. I suspect this wasn't so much a vote for her as much as it was a vote for the Scottish nationalist cause. I don't think they cared who stood for the SNP, they just weren't going to vote Labour or Tory.

I would still say you are being prejudiced. But you are entitled to your view, as long as you don't start banning poeple her age form standing. You are free to not vote for someone.

Joan of Arc went to actual war at like 16 :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending