The Student Room Group

Jobs with a music technology degree?

First time posting so sorry if there is mistakes

Finishing the first year of my two year music technology course at college and i was wondering..where do I when I finish? I'm the sort of person where I have my mind set of something and I do it! But I really do not have a clue.

Do I got to university or a job or an apprenticeship? Please help me out

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Ashley!

I remember it being a difficult decision after BTEC to decide what to do and where to go. I studied Music Tech too and after talking to my family and friends, it seemed that uni was the right direction to go in. I guess it all depends on what you want to do career wise, I'm a singer songwriter and I wanted to learn how to produce my own music and gain some skills in that area. So for me, going to uni helped me to really develop those skills and gain some contacts in the industry.

Some people might say that uni doesn't help producers/sound engineers but in my experience, I've been given jobs purely based on the fact that I have degree. I'm not saying that will be the case for every job, but it certainly helps. Studying also gives you that experience of working under pressure and helps to prepare you for "life in the real world".

If you've got any specific questions about my experience, feel free to ask me! :-)

Best Wishes
Jemma
Reply 2
I've been reading articles on how university is and how it goes and everybody loves the experience of getting some part time work and getting an apartment somewhere and seeing whats it's like be a "grown up" for once. Do you like it? What should I expect when I go? Because at the moment, going to university is my first option because I can say I have a degree In something :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Ashley

I loved the uni experience. It's exactly like you described above! I started working part time in my second year which helped massively because when I graduated, I carried on living in Leeds and working alongside doing my music.

A degree requires a lot of hard work but they do ease you into it and if you're passionate about what you're studying, it's great fun! They know that it's a massive change in someone's life to move away from home and adjust to living on your own with new friends, so the first year is all about trying to get the life work balance.

Hope this helps!

Jemma
Reply 4
This has helped a lot! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by AshleyPinder

Finishing the first year of my two year music technology course at college and i was wondering..where do I when I finish? I'm the sort of person where I have my mind set of something and I do it! But I really do not have a clue.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to do a course that will actually get you a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
probably mcdonalds with a degree like that
Omg you guys, stop being so pessimistic. You can apply any degree to loads of jobs out there
Reply 8
Original post by undine_monty
Omg you guys, stop being so pessimistic. You can apply any degree to loads of jobs out there

Name 1 in relation to a music degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
Name 1 in relation to a music degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Music teacher
Reply 10
Original post by T.I.P
Name 1 in relation to a music degreePosted from TSR Mobile

Iggy Azalea's translator.
Reply 11
Music teacher

Dont make me laugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
Dont make me laugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its a valid job. You could also work in advertising, making jingles. Or you could even go on to do a masters in music to teach it at University.
Reply 13
Its a valid job. You could also work in advertising, making jingles. Or you could even go on to do a masters in music to teach it at University.

You dont need a music degree to make jingles or work in advertising or be a music teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are plenty of jobs that you can get: Live sound engineer, studio engineer, producer, loud speaker designer, software developer for music app (VST plugins, sequencing software) Hardware developer (Amps, PA’s, synths etc.), Record label, broadcast engineer, music therapy, theatre, stage crew, acoustic research, acoustic consultant, guitar luthier, record shop manager, guitar tech (drum tech, bass tech etc.), audiology (Healthcare), DSP (Digital Signal Processing) engineer, promotion company and probably many more as these are only of the top of my head.

Some will require a degree others won’t. The BBC has a degree level apprenticeship for broadcast engineer, they offer it every year.

https://www.york.ac.uk/electronics/undergraduate/courses/music_technology/

http://www.engineering.leeds.ac.uk/electronic/undergraduate/degree-music-multimedia-electronics/

http://www.anglia.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/audio-and-music-technology

http://careerssearch.bbc.co.uk/jobs/job/apprentice-broadcast-engineer/5434
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by T.I.P
You dont need a music degree to make jingles or work in advertising or be a music teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

The music industry is all about who you know and not what you know. Meeting people, lecturers and students, may open up doors for you that you would not be able to get by yourself
Original post by T.I.P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe not to make jingles, but to be a music teacher, you do need a degree. I mean teaching in schools.

As a private music tutor, you would need theory qualifications. A lot of them also have music degrees.
Thanks everybody! I will take all advice on board :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to look at course content and see if any of it appeals to you and you would actually enjoy studying it for 3 years.
Leeds college of music seems the right place for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending