The Student Room Group

Will England win the World Cup in 2018?

Poll

Will England win the next World Cup

I felt last WC we had a lot of players who had already past the prime of their careers-now if you look at the squad and the players Hodgson has at his disposal now it makes promising reading-the likes of Ruddy, Forster, Stones, Shaw, Barkley, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, Sturridge etc etc all young talents with the likes of Rooney still having one more WC left in him. If they all play to their potential we have a good chance of winning in 2018 but then Brazil/Argentina etc are turning out some frightening youngsters also so I'm torn.

Scroll to see replies

A mixture of:

- :biggrin:
- Way too early to say
- We are nowhere near elite level yet
- People have been saying this for years, young talents this, if they play to their potential that
- We haven't won a competitive knockout fixture against a top team since Spain in 1996 and even that was on penalties, in 90 minutes it's more than 20 years ago
With Brendan as manager too?
Depends if jack grealish is english or nah

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah mate. Capt. Rooney is going to **** on all them other countries. ENGLAND ENGLAND!!!!!

[video="youtube;v7hEqCdAwjs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7hEqCdAwjs[/video]
Reply 5
No, Russia will

Spoiler

We're perrenial under-achievers/bottlers :lol:
No, we're pretty mediocre. If we did win it would be the greatest World Cup shock since 1950.
Welbz and sturridge to score winners against the almighty Germany.

Oh wait, this is reality. Not gonna happen
Original post by Danny the Geezer
I felt last WC we had a lot of players who had already past the prime of their careers-now if you look at the squad and the players Hodgson has at his disposal now it makes promising reading-the likes of Ruddy, Forster, Stones, Shaw, Barkley, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, Sturridge etc etc all young talents with the likes of Rooney still having one more WC left in him. If they all play to their potential we have a good chance of winning in 2018 but then Brazil/Argentina etc are turning out some frightening youngsters also so I'm torn.

Ruddy is not a ''young talent'. He is the same age as Joe Hart and doesn't even play top flight football.
Maybe if murinhio is a coach. Ain't wining any cups with Roy dinosaur Hodgson
Original post by Danny the Geezer

No we will bottle it against the big teams
Reply 12
No. No we won't. It'll be (the manager/the referee/the PL schedule/the lack of talent/the FA/lack of grassroots facilities/the climate/the pressure/the media expectation/the tactics) fault. Delete as applicable in three years time.
Honestly think Iceland have a better chance.
Maybe if Ferguson was the England manager, otherwise no chance.
Original post by Mackay
No. No we won't. It'll be (the manager/the referee/the PL schedule/the lack of talent/the FA/lack of grassroots facilities/the climate/the pressure/the media expectation/the tactics) fault. Delete as applicable in three years time.

Hmm I'll go with lack of grassroots and media expectation. Then potentially a lack of talent, but only after the media (thus being blamed for raising expectation) and pundits outside of the direct media say how great some of our line up is, but will trash them afterwards when we're knocked out in the round of 16 (generously we escape the group stage...just....luck not skill).
Reply 16
The media expectation thing is such a myth. There has been NO expectation since 2006, and we've been woeful. I hope Greg Dyke has a plan...
No.

Scotland will win the 2022 World Cup though
We'll never win the World Cup as long as we insist on entering four teams into the competition.
Los Deutscher Fußball Bund! 🇩🇪

Quick Reply

Latest