The Student Room Group

Routes into law for penultimate year non-law graduate.

Hello everyone!

I’ve posted a few times in the Law forum, and you’ve all been so helpful. Alas, I find myself with another question.

I’m a penultimate-year languages student at Cambridge, currently on a Year Abroad. I’ve got an internship in the financial services sector this summer, but I’m really passionate about Law, and I really want to complete the GDL and LPC upon graduation. My question is - as a non-law undergrad with little law experience apart from work experience as a parliamentary assistant to an MP and a few open days - how best to go about this?

- Apply for training schemes (I’m ideally looking at MC and SC) in my fourth year, and hope for the best (that is, an offer, plus sponsorship of the GDL), whilst aiming to complete winter workshops this year.
- Apply for vac schemes and hope that they will offer sponsorship for the GDL that I will have already applied for at this stage.

The reason that I’m quite so concerned is because the fees for the GDL (not to mention the living expenses in London!) are not insignificant, and I’m quite afraid of beginning it without a TC. I know that BPP offer scholarships for which I would be eligible, but sponsorship seems like less of a risky option. I really don’t come from a well-off background, so this is something of an issue.

Many many thanks!
Apply for a mix of VS and TCs. For the MC, your best bet is applying straight for TCs or a workshop as a precursor to a TC app. For example, A&O have a winter vacation scheme which would be ideal for you. If you're interested in US firms, apply for the vacation schemes since they recruit predominately from this and are generally open to finalists. Chances are that you could secure a TC before early 2016, instead of needing to apply for TCs in the summer of 2016.

I'm not sure how narrow your definition of a SC firm is? For example Berwin Leighton Paisner is 'SC' whilst Hogan Lovells is not, yet I'm sure plenty would see the latter as a better firm. Keep an open mind when applying since the MC for example does not suit everyone.

Out of interest, where does the passion come from for a career in law if you've not had much experience? - Just ask because even law students with tons of experiences would err on the side of caution when describing their interest in the profession.

From what you've written on this forum and the experiences of friends at Cambridge with a similar background, I don't think you need to worry about self-funding.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am in the exact same situation - I am a penultimate year non-law undergraduate studying at Nottingham.

I am aiming to undertake legal w/ex over this summer before applying for Vac schemes and TCs in my final year. I am in the same situation with regards to finances, if I don't secure a TC with sponsorship then I won't be able to continue.

Any tips you want to share for pursuing law? Anything else I could be doing to maximise my chances of securing a VS/TC?
I'm going into my penultimate year of a non law degree at King's College London and I'm not sure on what to do either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending