The Student Room Group

Middle lane hoggers

I've just graduated from uni as a student living with parents. In all my 3 year driving career I've spent most of my miles on motorways driving from Sheffield to Leeds.

There's nothing more i detest than middle lane hoggers (usually women in Fiat 500's) If lane 1 is clear then bloody use it!!! Let me just tell you folks now, there's no such thing as a 'slow, middle and fast lane'

In my second year I bought a sporty Ford Mondeo which is a lovely car and it's absolutely brilliant for terminating middle lane hoggers. I just put on my shades and slowly intercept them, then flash the main beam until they swing back into lane 1 - Business Rep Style.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I often drive in middle lane becsuse I stay around 70mph thingy, those in slow lane often only do 50-60mph and there are many trucks in that lane so I stay in middle lane to avoid chaging lanes all the time to overtske the slow drivers
Original post by Homeboy
I often drive in middle lane becsuse I stay around 70mph thingy, those in slow lane often only do 50-60mph and there are many trucks in that lane so I stay in middle lane to avoid chaging lanes all the time to overtske the slow drivers

Despite being a tiny bit more convenient for you (and only you), it is improper motorway etiquette and the police can issue a fine for it. It slows everyone else down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Homeboy

If you're seen by the police doing so you could get a £100 on the spot anti social driving fine.

Nothing annoys me more than having to over take middle lane hoggers or not being able to over take someone in lane 1 because of people like you sitting next to me for ages!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Flashing lights at people is also anti-social and Police can intervene ....
Original post by Muttley79
Flashing lights at people is also anti-social and Police can intervene ....

That's why I just use my indicator if someone is lane 3 hogging. It catches their eye but doesn't come across as aggressive/anti-social.
Reply 6
Original post by live_a_life
Despite being a tiny bit more convenient for you (and only you), it is improper motorway etiquette and the police can issue a fine for it. It slows everyone else down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thou saieth to thee, thou shant'nt use thee middle lane saying thou is greedy
I've recently taken delivery of a new M6 & I've been on the motorway once with it so far. On that occasion, I really noticed the "middle-lane hoggers" because they were just holding me up while I was trying to get the monster V8 going.
Reply 8
Yes. And even worse the right lane hoggers. Fml i dont know what is going through their minds when they are going at speeds slower than the mid lane and there is like a mile queue behind them forcing undertaking.

Gets on my fricking tits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by wowk
I just put on my shades and slowly intercept them, then flash the main beam until they swing back into lane 1 - Business Rep Style.

Thug life. :ahee:
Original post by h4mza
Thug life. :ahee:

Sorry ! I . Somehow made a typo/emoticon error and am struggling to delete these little figures in the bath?

:bath::bath:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Homeboy

highway code rule 264
You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs.
https://www.gov.uk/motorways-253-to-273/lane-discipline-264-to-266

the slow lane is often at 56mph (the limit for large HGVs), but when there is not a vehicle in it, you should be there.

Original post by live_a_life
That's why I just use my indicator if someone is lane 3 hogging. It catches their eye but doesn't come across as aggressive/anti-social.

the police can and (in my extensive research of an episode of police camera action) do the same for indicating like that as with flashing.
that said IMO its the guy in the wrong lane that should be pulled.
Reply 12
Original post by Homeboy

As somebody who drives professionally part time on days off from university, I can safely say that you are exactly the type of selfish, ignorant motorway driver that causes trouble for others. Sounds like you prefer to get into the middle lane and just switch off rather than use the road properly. Everybody else has to get back into the inside lane with all the trucks after overtaking. If you can't cope with the very simple motorway system, I suggest you get the bus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wowk
I've just graduated from uni as a student living with parents. In all my 3 year driving career I've spent most of my miles on motorways driving from Sheffield to Leeds.

There's nothing more i detest than middle lane hoggers (usually women in Fiat 500's) If lane 1 is clear then bloody use it!!! Let me just tell you folks now, there's no such thing as a 'slow, middle and fast lane'

In my second year I bought a sporty Ford Mondeo which is a lovely car and it's absolutely brilliant for terminating middle lane hoggers. I just put on my shades and slowly intercept them, then flash the main beam until they swing back into lane 1 - Business Rep Style.

If you came up behind me in the middle lane and flashed your lights, I'd ignore you. If you look to your right, you'll see another lane. Use it.
Original post by Runninground
If you came up behind me in the middle lane and flashed your lights, I'd ignore you. If you look to your right, you'll see another lane. Use it.

Why ignore them? You're in the wrong lane and they're letting you know. No need to let your pride get in the way - it's simple rules. As far as they know, you're oblivious to such concepts judging by your actions.

Not here to argue, it's just I can only see pride/stubbornness in those actions. Sure, it annoys them a little but you're still in the middle lane unnecessarily, all ready to slow down another driver (which increases traffic).

(This post was made on the assumption that you were in the middle lane and all other lanes were empty)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by wowk

There's nothing more i detest than middle lane hoggers

I've been driving 10+ years and I've never once been annoyed by this. What's so hard about putting your indicator on and pulling into the outside lane?
Original post by JC.
I've been driving 10+ years and I've never once been annoyed by this. What's so hard about putting your indicator on and pulling into the outside lane?
It is not the inconvenience of unnecessary overtaking that is annoying,
it is seeing an arrogant ignoramus reducing a three lane highway to two lanes because they find it convenient for them.
It also cause problems for traffic joining the motorway when there is no where for correctly positioned first lane traffic to go because somebody is cruising the middle lane.
Reply 17
Original post by mphysical
It is not the inconvenience of unnecessary overtaking that is annoying,
it is seeing an arrogant ignoramus reducing a three lane highway to two lanes because they find it convenient for them.
It also cause problems for traffic joining the motorway when there is no where for correctly positioned first lane traffic to go because somebody is cruising the middle lane.

Like I said, it doesn't bother me. If someones in your way, overtake. If you can't merge into traffic put your foot down. If you can't put your foot down you should buy a car with a bigger engine.
Reply 18
I find it annoying when people hog the middle lane...when there's no traffic in the left hand lane! Though sometimes I'll move across to the middle lane near a junction so people can join, then I'll go back to the left hand lane afterwards if it's clear or not full of lorries
Reply 19
Middle lane hoggers are annoying if the left lane is free and they do not pull over, however as mention there is another lane available to overtake. Meant to use the far left lane and use the other lanes as overtaking lanes. Middle lane hoggers can now face fines. Also flashing lights is never a good idea, in my old car i got flashed at by a range rover and found it distracting. Later down the road he got pulled and i went on my way. I was not hogging the middle lane, i was overtaking a lorry.

Quick Reply