The Student Room Group

EPQ

Ok, so I'm fairly new to this site but the time for me to choose a topic for my EPQ at sixth form is coming up.
I really want to do something on musical theatre, but I don't know what exactly.
Any ideas/ possible questions I could use involving musical theatre?
My friend did a theatre one, I don't know what the title or question was, but she got a group of people and organised, directed and played in a production at a local centre to raise money for charity I think she did a video log of the making and production of the show
What other sorts of things do you study and where do you intend to go after sixth form?
My extended project was on the development of a water fuelled aircraft. The project can be totally unique, something that hasn't been tried before.
Original post by Jacob Boris
What other sorts of things do you study and where do you intend to go after sixth form?

I study biology and spanish
I'm interested in nutrition also

I also intend to go to university studying nutrition/ dietetics
Original post by The-olden-days
I also intend to go to university studying nutrition/ dietetics

Perhaps you could in some way tailor it toward your intended degree? In that instance it can become another thing to beef up your personal statement, or to talk about in interviews, and can help you get offers! When I did the EPQ, my college was open to us studying anything but said it would be best if we did it in a relevant area to what we wanted to go and do. If you still wanted to do it in theatre, perhaps you could do a research paper on the diets/nutrition of actors/actresses, work out whether the way they eat and what they eat is healthy, what are the potential risks, and ways to improve? Or something of the like? I know very little about nutrition so I apologise if that sounds like an ignorant idea!
Having said that my original thought was you could do a research paper on the historical development of theatre and how it reflects the social changes. Or even how theatre and the arts can influence society. Or a case study on certain movements in relation to society, and other media. There are a lot of potential things to do with and about theatre! My advice though is choose something that you will be able to research and get resources for. If you cannot access any resources then it will become incredibly difficult, so choose a topic that you will be able to research thoroughly!
yes I do think something tailored towards my degree would be good, however I was thinking many universities will like the fact that I have an interest other than nutrition. I quit like the idea of historical development of theatre and social changes, thank you.

From your experience of EPQ do you know if there is an option to do a performance or presentation instead of the 5,000 word essay?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The-olden-days
yes I do think something tailored towards my degree would be good, however I was thinking many universities will like the fact that I have an interest other than nutrition. I quit like the idea of historical development of theatre and social changes, thank you.

From your experience of EPQ do you know if there is an option to do a performance or presentation instead of the 5,000 word essay?

I don't know about other exam boards but I know that AQA does allow other formats, though I can't be certain which, and I think they still ask for a written report albeit shorter ( I seem to remember it being 800 words but I could be mistaken) to go alongside the performance. Even within the 5000 word essay format, which I did, we had to do a presentation (I used powerpoint) and in all cases a production log must be filled out, and it is this which is worth the most marks. I think it was a 20/30 split out of 50, with the production log being worth 30 marks. But yeah they should allow a performance, but I'd make sure with your supervisor how to go about it, as I think the marking criteria might actually be very similar to the essay. :smile:
I don't know about other exam boards but I know that AQA does allow other formats, though I can't be certain which, and I think they still ask for a written report albeit shorter ( I seem to remember it being 800 words but I could be mistaken) to go alongside the performance. Even within the 5000 word essay format, which I did, we had to do a presentation (I used powerpoint) and in all cases a production log must be filled out, and it is this which is worth the most marks. I think it was a 20/30 split out of 50, with the production log being worth 30 marks. But yeah they should allow a performance, but I'd make sure with your supervisor how to go about it, as I think the marking criteria might actually be very similar to the essay. :smile:

Thats great thanks, my exam board is AQA. I will make sure to ask my supervisor :smile:

Quick Reply