The Student Room Group

Latin as 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Azarashi
I know verbs/nouns quite well...but...those damn little words like.... quoniam.... etsi...etc. I just can't get them in my head as easily

quoniam - since - I have perhaps an odd way of learning things - I relate the word to a song which has that word in it

So for 'quoniam' I think of Rainbow's 'Since You've Been Gone'

Just what works for me!
Original post by *Stefan*
I'd suggest writing them down until you. I don't think there's a better way than this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of people write notes to remember them, but that has never worked better than just reading them for me :frown:
I'll try to do all of them before the exam thank you for the suggestion!
Reply 42
Original post by z1ggystardust
quoniam - since - I have perhaps an odd way of learning things - I relate the word to a song which has that word in it

So for 'quoniam' I think of Rainbow's 'Since You've Been Gone'

Just what works for me!

that's so helpful... about to think of a song for each of the 850 words :')
Original post by Mannz
that's so helpful... about to think of a song for each of the 850 words :')

Haha - always knew my weird revision ways would come in handy - just don't start singing in the exam! :wink:
Original post by Mannz
Can I ask, how do you approach translation? Is it mainly vocab knowledge or tenses and endings etc?

erm
I spend 10 minutes reading
write out a rough draft
I check that I've got the right person from verb endings
the right number from verb, noun and adjective endings
the right subject and object from noun and adjective endings
when I can't translate a phrase I translate it literally so it sounds like archaic English
Reply 45
Original post by notathuggee
erm
I spend 10 minutes reading
write out a rough draft
I check that I've got the right person from verb endings
the right number from verb, noun and adjective endings
the right subject and object from noun and adjective endings
when I can't translate a phrase I translate it literally so it sounds like archaic English

Thank you. Whenever I can't translate a phrase, I get so confused because I can't understand what it's talking about because it sounds so old fashioned :frown:
Reply 46
Original post by z1ggystardust
Haha - always knew my weird revision ways would come in handy - just don't start singing in the exam! :wink:

Lmao, if you hear of a student who got excluded for singing during their Latin exam, you know who it is xD
Reply 47
Original post by Mannz
Thank you. Whenever I can't translate a phrase, I get so confused because I can't understand what it's talking about because it sounds so old fashioned :frown:

The first rule in that case is to break down the sentence into principal and secondary parts. If it still doesn't make sense, translate the main structures/grammar and guess the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
The first rule in that case is to break down the sentence into principal and secondary parts. If it still doesn't make sense, translate the main structures/grammar and guess the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok, got it. Thank you! I tend to get the wrong end of the stick with the storyline too :') hopefully it won't go completely wrong tomorrow.
Original post by Mannz
Ah ok, got it. Thank you! I tend to get the wrong end of the stick with the storyline too :') hopefully it won't go completely wrong tomorrow.

Yeah my problem used to be that the story sounded so weird that I didn't think I translated it right, do you guys remember last year's GCSE? I think it was Paper 2, about that guy eating himself....
"ob dolore"

*ob dolorem
Reply 51
*ob dolorem

Yeap... Slipped the "m". (Writing on my mobile...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
I'm so damn bored to go through the vocab list again. I've been doing so everyday lately, but I've reached a fatigue point now...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
kudos for revising vocab :wink:
i need to cram still
have you got a list of the most obscure/unguessable words?

I'd feel guilty otherwise :/

Not really. These are the words that I find somewhat difficult to differentiate though:

Munus
Murus
Paulisper
Paulatim
Paulo/paulum
Quisquam
Quisque
Quisquis

I've managed to come to grips with them though, so hopefully everything will be okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd feel guilty otherwise :/

Not really. These are the words that I find somewhat difficult to differentiate:

Munus
Murus
Paulisper
Paulatim
Paulo/paulum
Quisquam
Quisque
Quisquis

I've managed to come to grips with them though, so hopefully everything will be okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

munus muneris - office, duty
murus, muri - wall
paulisper - for a short time and paulatim - little by little (cf. the hymn)
paulum - small
paulo - ablative of comparison meaning by little
quisquam - no clue
quisque - no clue
quisquis - anyone
Reply 55
munus muneris - office, duty
murus, muri - wall
paulisper - for a short time and paulatim - little by little (cf. the hymn)
paulum - small
paulo - ablative of comparison meaning by little
quisquam - no clue
quisque - no clue
quisquis - anyone

Quisquam = anyone, anything
Quisque = each, every, each one
Quisquis = whoever, whatever

I have just pictured the vocab list for these three, and remember the translations in order...

And there's quidam and quidem as well: 1. One, a certain, some (like τις if you do Greek) 2. Indeed,in fact, however (like vero)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Good luck to you all for later! Time to get ready and cram those last few words + look over some more grammar. :rolleyes:
I'm doing English-Latin- just need to consolidate more grammar.

Keep a positive mind-set guys (including myself)- we can do this ^^
Reply 58
It's over now guys!!! The exam was pretty okay in terms of difficulty!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's over now guys!!! The exam was pretty okay in terms of difficulty!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously? Everyone in my school thought it was the hardest paper we'd done. Cicero... :angry:

Well, got another year to put it right...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending