The Student Room Group

Latin as 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by z1ggystardust
Seriously? Everyone in my school thought it was the hardest paper we'd done. Cicero... :angry:

Well, got another year to put it right...

Did they? Hmm... There were definitely more constructions to be tested than usually, but I personally didn't get stuck in any part of the unseens.

What did you find difficult in specific?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Certamine orto?
Reply 62
Original post by Delta64
Certamine orto?

With a contest having began/arisen/started or any other translation of the ablative absolutes basically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Did they? Hmm... There were definitely more constructions to be tested than usually, but I personally didn't get stuck in any part of the unseens.

What did you find difficult in specific?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The 70 mark translation was largely okay but the Cicero was Cicero and therefore very tricky - it's never been my strong point but that was a different level...

Oh well, must move on to History now!
Reply 64
The 70 mark translation was largely okay but the Cicero was Cicero and therefore very tricky - it's never been my strong point but that was a different level...

They made the first one a lot easier for an adaptation considering its original author. Livy makes everyone and everything suicidal!

I see what you mean -but once you started the storyline, it was pretty easy to find your way through. If it was indeed very difficult for many people, they'll adjust the boundaries.

Best of luck with history!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The gerund of obligation was just great though, so simple which was fabulous! I had a little trouble in my exam, because I could find anywhere which said on alternative lines, I asked my invigilator who said not to, and then once I had finished after an hour I realise it said it at the top of each passage rather than on the front sheet. Was told to rewrite as much as I could again, hopefully I wrote it all down right - stressful day!
Reply 66
Original post by TheHistoryGeek
The gerund of obligation was just great though, so simple which was fabulous! I had a little trouble in my exam, because I could find anywhere which said on alternative lines, I asked my invigilator who said not to, and then once I had finished after an hour I realise it said it at the top of each passage rather than on the front sheet. Was told to rewrite as much as I could again, hopefully I wrote it all down right - stressful day!

All structures included, from jussive subjunctives to gerunds indicating purpose were great. I'm impressed with how they fit all these in two passages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did people translate the last line of Cicero ? It started with minime, nisi....
Reply 68

Same here! Which periods are you doing for History?? I'm doing Fascism and Henry VIII
Reply 69
Original post by Sophleah
How did people translate the last line of Cicero ? It started with minime, nisi....

I decided to take a liberal approach here, and said "Not at all, unless..." -I don't remember the rest of the sentence, though I recall it being slightly more difficult than the rest of the passage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I decided to take a liberal approach here, and said "Not at all, unless..." -I don't remember the rest of the sentence, though I recall it being slightly more difficult than the rest of the passage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it was "minime, nisi honor ignomina putanda est"
Original post by Mannz
Same here! Which periods are you doing for History?? I'm doing Fascism and Henry VIII

Yeah - History and Latin buddies!
I've got Maths and History on the same day! So unfair! At least Fascism and Henry VIII sounds interesting, I don't even know what my exams are called, but it's about British Foreign Policy 1880-39 (that period roughly) and Domestic History (1880-1939) which is SOO dull!

Seriously? Everyone in my school thought it was the hardest paper we'd done. Cicero... :angry:
Well, got another year to put it right...

Same here! I've done nearly every past paper back to 2008, and I've never seen anything that hard! I seriously think I got so much wrong! But it was like some words weren't even on the Vocab list!

Anyone know what 'Opus esse' was from Livy? It was the first line of the second paragraph, and it said something like 'He demanded silence... verbis opus esse' What does that mean?!
on the vocab list i think that it says that "opus est" means "there is need of" and therefore it would mean something like "there is no need for words" or something in the context
Reply 73
I think it was "minime, nisi honor ignomina putanda est"

Not at all, unless disgrace is to be thought of as honour.

I couldn't decide which one was the subject of putanda est (basically outlining necessity), so I just put the one which made more sense to me.

Original post by Daedalys

Anyone know what 'Opus esse' was from Livy? It was the first line of the second paragraph, and it said something like 'He demanded silence... verbis opus esse' What does that mean?!

Verbis opus est means "there is a need of arguments". Combined with negavisset, it means "he said that there was no need for arguments".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not at all, unless disgrace is to be thought of as honour.

I couldn't decide which one was the subject of putanda est (basically outlining necessity), so I just put the one which made more sense to me.

Verbis opus est means "there is a need of arguments". Combined with negavisset, it means "he said that there was no need for arguments".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah good I wrote that too! i think that the subject was "ignomina" because of the "a" on the end of "putanda"
Reply 75
ah good I wrote that too! i think that the subject was "ignomina" because of the "a" on the end of "putanda"

Indeed. Couldn't decide if honor was masculine or feminine. Thankfully we got that right :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 76
Does anyone remember what the name of the texts were?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anybody do the English to Latin?

And yeah compared to many other past papers I think this was harder....
A lot being tested
Original post by Azarashi
Did anybody do the English to Latin?

And yeah compared to many other past papers I think this was harder....
A lot being tested

vir quem cives laudaverunt ab urbe non discessit.
dixit se inter amicos manere malle.
magna voce clamavit "hostes nostris homines fortiores oppugnent. senatores uxorem viri oravit ut ei persuadere conaretur. uxor maritum rogavit num intellexit quid cives vellent.
Original post by mercieo
Does anyone remember what the name of the texts were?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Wife goals" by Livy
And "pro Balbo" by Cicero

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending