The Student Room Group

How did you get over sixth form?

Hi I know this isn't really related to uni but I assume all of you who are at uni now went to your school sixth form, college etc. well my last day at sixth form is fast approaching next month and I was wondering how did you get over it. Stupid question but I just don't know how I'll adjust. I've been at that school since year 7 and while it isn't the best school and has its problems I have had good times there. How long did it take you to stop missing it and enjoy uni life? Do you sometimes wish you were back at school right now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For me uni is nothing like sixth form.

I actually enjoyed sixth form (apart from the A-level stress obviously), I grew up with the people there and my real friends are still the ones back home tbh. also the connection I had and the banter etc with teachers at A-Level is nothing like the seriousness of the lecturers at uni and the non-existent banter.

I'd do anything to go back to school tbh.
well it's been a while but as soon as i got in to freshers week Collage while fun felt 100,000,000 yeas away i gusss i was just ready to leave it was my time
I didn't enjoy 6th form and couldn't wait to leave home so it was pretty easy for me.
Original post by r-t
Hi I know this isn't really related to uni but I assume all of you who are at uni now went to your school sixth form, college etc. well my last day at sixth form is fast approaching next month and I was wondering how did you get over it. Stupid question but I just don't know how I'll adjust. I've been at that school since year 7 and while it isn't the best school and has its problems I have had good times there. How long did it take you to stop missing it and enjoy uni life? Do you sometimes wish you were back at school right now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly do think your ready if you find your self wishing your back at collage I wasn't ready at 20. I went back to uni at 21 for a second try (after dropping out the end of the first semester the first time round) and didn't miss collage at all (at 20 I wished I was back at collage the whole time)
I agree with pretty much everyone. i was at my sixth form school for 7 or 8 years so I knew I felt ready to leave when I did. However, the one thing I did and still do miss is the personal, intimate relationships I had with my teachers. For instance, I could just knock on their door and they'd ask me to either wait for a bit or to come in and ask what I wanted it. If they were teaching a class, they'd give them a task and tell me to come over and they would help me. At my sixth form, you felt wanted and needed. At uni, the lectureres don't give a rat's ass about where you are, what you were up to last night. I think as they talk at you in lectures they see us as money signs, paying their bills so they just treat us as a means to an end.

I believe teachers care about your well-being, where you want to be, and they do genuinely monitor you because they are concerned about your performance and lateness and etc. For instance, my English A-level teachers knew how much I loved English so whenever I was late or handed in one piece of homework late, they used to scold me. I feel like I was appreciated as being part of the class. Maybe it was because I was one of the "louder" students so if my presence wasn't there, the class vibe wasn't the same? (We all had a couple of students who if they werent there, you could tell). But at uni, you wouldn't notice it, and they don't either.

I think teachers at sixth form make you feel at ease, but my lecturers make me feel uncomfortable/awkward because of their formality of their seriousness. I think there's been about 3/4 lectures out of a dozen I've been taught who I wish I had more because they created bant with us all made the theatre room of 300 come alive.

I do sometimes wish I was back at sixth form. I have a friend there who I constantly check in with to give me the updates of what's happening, any new teachers, if any teachers are married/pregnant or lefft etc just to make me feel like I'm apart of it. I do believe school was a big part of my life and I very much disliked and liked school at times but sixth form was defo a missed thing. It's cosier and smaller than uni, so you will defo miss if it you were involved with your sixth form and school.

As the years go on, you will slowly disconnect with it and only have your friends and memories to go on. But that's what EVERYONE will go through. It's a natural occasion of the "moving on" stage us young people go through. Cause, uni is a massive step, no matter which way you look at it. I'm an independent person - I hate it when things are done for me, and etc, but it is a whole new playing field. I hope you will enjoy it though!
Original post by jelly1000
I didn't enjoy 6th form and couldn't wait to leave home so it was pretty easy for me.

This. I absolutely hated school and sixth form, so my last day there couldn't come soon enough. I've settled into uni so well and I don't want to leave I'm loving it so much :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by r-t

When you've been spending half your life at one place for the last 7 years, it and all the people in it will inevitably become a big part of you. I've only been at my college for 2 years (it's separate from my secondary) and I still come back to visit on open days. I haven't gone on to uni yet, but yeah, I do still miss my college after 2 years... Not in a clingy, I can't live without it kind of way, though, fortunately. I reckon you won't miss it as much as you're expecting, either.

You just have to remember that you'll have plenty of opportunity for good times and meeting new friends at university or whatever it is you go on to do after college. :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks a lot guys, from what I'm getting its a totally different story for everyone! Although I have been at my school for 7 years I haven't made as many friends as I should have so will probably only miss a few people. Small classes and close relationships with teachers is probably something I'd take time to get used to because atm there are only about 8-9 people in each of my classes and I'm pretty close with my teachers so this will probably take time to get used to. Luckily I'm staying in the same city for my uni aswell so it shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for everyone's experiences and responses, really helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending