The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I don't know much about cell phones in general, just to say that you Europeans have it all figured out and we kind of have a messed up system. Some companies (Cingular, Nextel) run on GSM, and some others run on other system (LS something... I forget the acronym, or PCS). Most of Europe runs on GSM, or so I think, and so getting on the American network is as easy as purchasing a plan with a GSM network and getting a SIM card. We don't have the Orange Network over here, so you're probably going to have to cancel and get Pay-As-You-Go until you come over.

I'm sure someone knows better than I do though...
Cancel it and go pay as you go til you move to America. If you have an unlocked handset you can get a PAYG sim for free from Cingular once you get to the US. Your UK contract will allow you to roam here but there's no point as it's so expensive. I ended up having to buy out my UK contract when I moved here for my year exchange as I wasn't using the phone anyway.

You can buy a PAYG handset and sim here for around $40 with Cingular, Verizon is slightly more expensive and I think their PAYG phones start at $100+. It makes sense to pick the network most of your friends are on as both have free calls within network. I'm with Cingular and haven't had any problems.

Latest

Trending

Trending