The Student Room Group

the IB and Death

Hi everyone, I'm in a bit of a a fix. I lost a very close relative a few months ago and honestly my mum hasn't really been pulling through like I hoped she would. I have been able to suppress the grief for the purposes of my exams, but my mum doesn't have that so she has been relying on me a lot. I don't want her to have to keep her feelings bottled up, we live in a divorced household and she really doesn't have anyone else to talk to about familial disputes/her feelings anymore so I want to help.
However anyone who's done the IB knows how hard it is to stay focused at the best of times, and it's taking up a lot of time/emotional strength to stay supportive when I'm halfway through my exams and still have so much stuff to memorize/get on top of. (For some idea of how badly I'm doing, even Maths Studies has become a struggle :L)
Any advice on how I should deal with this? I wondered if maybe someone else might have experience with coping with grieving relatives during exam time. It's not that I don't want to help, because I really do. But if I let myself dwell on it too much I'm going to crumble and I've only got 2 weeks to go.
Reply 1
My friend had a very similar problem to this and you should definitely tell the examiners about the problems you're having. The IB tend to be really nice about this kind of thing and they sometimes give a lot of leniency depending on what the situation is so you should 100% tell you if you need time to get over what happened.
I hope all the exams are going well and sorry to hear about your loss
Reply 2
Thank you that is reassuring to hear, I have a note from my GP which I am hoping my school will send for me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending