The Student Room Group

AS Biology Edexcel IAL Unit 1 & 2 2015

Thread for anyone doing AS Biology IAL! Unit 1: 21st of May/ Unit 2: 1st of June

How are you guys feeling about Unit 1? Guesses on what experiment may turn up? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm not really ready yet, at the moment I'm only revising for C12
Reply 2
Original post by Adorable98
I'm not really ready yet, at the moment I'm only revising for C12

I find Unit 1 harder than unit 2 to be honest!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ~xSarahx~
Thread for anyone doing AS Biology IAL! Unit 1: 21st of May/ Unit 2: 1st of June

How are you guys feeling about Unit 1? Guesses on what experiment may turn up? :smile:

Don't have a good feeling about Unit 1, could be tough(I hope not).

I think the experiment maybe about the initial rate of reaction..

What would be my overall UMS marks (out of 300) if I end up with 65/80 in both unit 1 & 2 and 30/40 in unit 3?
hey guys... I'm really worried about what I did in the unit 3b exam... in comparison I did much better in my u1 mocks... do you think I'd be able to cope up and get an A? thanks to anybody who replies. :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by DK 96
Don't have a good feeling about Unit 1, could be tough(I hope not).

I think the experiment maybe about the initial rate of reaction..

What would be my overall UMS marks (out of 300) if I end up with 65/80 in both unit 1 & 2 and 30/40 in unit 3?

Oh no I hate initial rate of reaction! xD I really hope that unit 1 is easy....and that we have low grade boundaries (I'm a wishful thinker)

I'm not too sure about the UMS marks you would get since I don't know how they are calculated, however, I did find this UMS converter on the pearson website:

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades.html

scroll all the way down until you come across 'edexcel mark converter'

You would definitely come out with a high UMS score if you achieve those marks! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ~xSarahx~
Oh no I hate initial rate of reaction! xD I really hope that unit 1 is easy....and that we have low grade boundaries (I'm a wishful thinker)

I'm not too sure about the UMS marks you would get since I don't know how they are calculated, however, I did find this UMS converter on the pearson website:

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades.html

scroll all the way down until you come across 'edexcel mark converter'

You would definitely come out with a high UMS score if you achieve those marks! :smile:

Yeah same here, hate initial rate of reaction & agree with you. Hope its easy..

Thank you so much for the converter :biggrin:
my so behind i have combined alevels and ial ugh my exams are not going well and i preplanned everything and im still behind :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by TheMadHatteress
hey guys... I'm really worried about what I did in the unit 3b exam... in comparison I did much better in my u1 mocks... do you think I'd be able to cope up and get an A? thanks to anybody who replies. :frown:

Yeah if you've solved a lot of past papers & are able to understand every single thing in this Unit (specially DNA & CVD chapters) then you're pretty much likely to get an A :smile: ( Hope that exam won't be tough :smile:)
Reply 9
Original post by DK 96
Yeah same here, hate initial rate of reaction & agree with you. Hope its easy..

Thank you so much for the converter :biggrin:

No problem! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any prediction guys?
can u please tell me an explanation of the initial rate of reaction and if possible with an example b/c I always mess up in it
Reply 12
guys how many past papers have u solved?
is it okay to just solve 2011-2013?? thats like 7 papers..
I have solvd 6 past papers, 2013-2014 n its different varients thts like 6 in total , did u solve the R papers?
Reply 14
dont u think 2014 is too recent?

oh so u solved gce 2014 ones also? oh

jan 2013 and may 2013 and may 2013 R makes 3 papers...

i suggest u doing 2011 jan specially, cuz i felt that this session, the examiners r keeping that paper in view, didnt u notice similarities with it and like the bio unit 3 paper??
Reply 15
Original post by TheMadHatteress

grade boundaries r usually minimum 59 for an A. how is ur prep? can u get that much marks? if so, then thumbs up u can get an A hopefully :smile:
Hey, guys what does osmotic effect mean? like Glucose is soluble and has an osmotic effect??
Reply 17
Original post by Adorable98
Hey, guys what does osmotic effect mean? like Glucose is soluble and has an osmotic effect??

i think it means that if glucose was in the solution, then it will cause osmosis to occur past the membrane... i think ur talking bout the amobea question in past papers right?
Original post by A84
i think it means that if glucose was in the solution, then it will cause osmosis to occur past the membrane... i think ur talking bout the amobea question in past papers right?

Nope, it was in my revision guide, and thanx
Reply 19
hey everyone! i how would you control the temperature when investigating the effect of caffeine on daphnia?

Quick Reply

Latest