The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Geography Unit 1 12th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Oh :frown: what about solar output?
Original post by cherryblossoms
Astronomical Forcing is long term climate change e.g Orbital eccentricity is 100,000 years. So probably not sorry.
Can some give the case study on London olympics
Can some give the case study on London olympics
I know i'm late to the party, but did anyone else talk about UKIP in their paper. I mentioned them when talking about UK to Poland migration. As one of the political impacts I said there would was a growth in political parties that want to limit migration, e.g. UKIP who won the 2014 European elections and polled almost 4 million votes in the 2015 general election'. Up to date info right there.
Original post by sxxxxt
For question 10a)

I wrote about: colonies where Indians came over to become assets to the NHS and Pakistanis came over to work in textile mills. I said this was made easier due to a shared language which also encouraged more to come over. This was in 2001, the groups have increased since 2001 because as many of these people retire, they are inviting their extended family over on a dependancy basis which means more people are coming into the UK from India and Pakistan. I then said NI had seen a decrease because reduced political unrest means people wanted to go back and resume their lives, as well as return to their immediate family (can someone tell me if this is valid? I could think of no other reasons, but it seemed almost impossible to ignore as it was the only one that had decreased) I then went on to say US had seen an increase due to elite unis such as Oxford and Cambridge. The shared cultures and languages made integration easier encouraging more and more people. How many marks do you think this would be out of 10?

Question 10b)

I wrote about: Poland to UK. Impacted the UK as helped their economy. 80% of those who came in 2004 were 34 or younger meaning they would be of a working age and have kids to deal with ageing population. I contrasted this with Spain who would have an influx of older people who seek retirement there. This will affect the demographic model. Many Polish people will however send much of their money home with around 2.6 bn sent home in 2006 compared to Spain where the ageing population will spend their grey £ there boosting the economy. I had a few more minor points. I then ended with the UK having many political issues such as the rise of parties such as UKIP who want an EU referendum due to the migration. This is the same in Spain, where many locals accuse British people of not intergating into the society and culture ect. (added a similiarty before contrasting this again) However, there are many positives from the Polish migration on the UK such as Catholic Church attendance increasing and an increased number of Polish shops in the Midlands as well as hybrid food and cultures. How many marks would this get?

I feel like I have screwed up in the short answers. Grade very much depends on the essays.

For 10)a

1)it was showing the population change for the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND (ROI- which it was displayed) not Northern Ireland, as NI is part of the UK, they wouldn't be counted as immigrants therefore would not be show on the graph.....
2) There hasn't been troubles in Ireland for over 20 years so why would they pick that decade to return if it was over the conflict, they would have returned sooner

for 10)b They asked for contrasting MIGRATION movements, NOT CONTRASTING IMPACTS. so the contrasting movements would be people from Poland to the UK for work, People from UK to Spain for retirement then you comment on the impacts (costs/benefits or + and - impacts) of the house country.
Reply 405
Hi there someone answer this please because I am freaking out, for unit 2 the resource question on heritage and culture i talked about liverpool for culture which was accurate but for heritage i used leicester but kinda made stuff up like the heritage of the leicester museum where this encourages degaradation less deforestation needed etc would i get penalised for that bit of leicester because it is wrong cuz i lied about it but my culture case study was sport on can i still reach band 3.
Original post by K3lvin
Hi there someone answer this please because I am freaking out, for unit 2 the resource question on heritage and culture i talked about liverpool for culture which was accurate but for heritage i used leicester but kinda made stuff up like the heritage of the leicester museum where this encourages degaradation less deforestation needed etc would i get penalised for that bit of leicester because it is wrong cuz i lied about it but my culture case study was sport on can i still reach band 3.

Yes that's completely fine, it was actually a resource question anyway so you disn't really need to go into *that* much detail about examples, but if you did, that's great, the examiner must take what you say as the truth, even if they know there isn't a museum in Leicester they can still give you the mark, When they said culture and heritage im not completely sure if they required you to talk about both separately,but if you did I suppose that's great. Also, since it's a resource question you are expected to refer to the resource in your question as much as possible, (and take examples from it) which im sure you did :smile:)
Reply 407
one other thing is that for the success of coastal defences i had one really good point to explain the success of a hard engineering which was gabions but i then talked about another successful one but i completely made this up and i think i wont be able to reach level 3 as i just made itup completely even though a storm hit there recently and it didnt withold helpppppp
Original post by K3lvin
one other thing is that for the success of coastal defences i had one really good point to explain the success of a hard engineering which was gabions but i then talked about another successful one but i completely made this up and i think i wont be able to reach level 3 as i just made itup completely even though a storm hit there recently and it didnt withold helpppppp

The examiners mark scheme for 10/15 mark questions allows 'other sensible suggestions' so even if you haven't been taught a particular point ( or even if it's not in the books) you can still receive marks, as long as your idea makes sense and it sensible. Good points to mention with that particular question may have included ideas about sustainability or actual protection from the sea as well as taking into account social/ecological/and physical impacts of various sea defences.
Reply 409
Original post by MimiRuby
The examiners mark scheme for 10/15 mark questions allows 'other sensible suggestions' so even if you haven't been taught a particular point ( or even if it's not in the books) you can still receive marks, as long as your idea makes sense and it sensible. Good points to mention with that particular question may have included ideas about sustainability or actual protection from the sea as well as taking into account social/ecological/and physical impacts of various sea defences.

I think cuz my first point was really good and my second was that good i may get level 2 5 or 6 marks which would be okay as i found all other questions really easy so yh
Original post by K3lvin
I think cuz my first point was really good and my second was that good i may get level 2 5 or 6 marks which would be okay as i found all other questions really easy so yh

Yeah that's good :biggrin:
does anyone have copies of the geography papers they could perhaps send??? Would be really useful!
Reply 412
What does everyone think the grade boundaries for unit 1 will be
Original post by Aqeeb29
What does everyone think the grade boundaries for unit 1 will be

Higher than last year's 60/90, but not excessively high. Like 65ish/90 for an A?
Reply 414
Original post by elen90
Higher than last year's 60/90, but not excessively high. Like 65ish/90 for an A?

Do you reckon, last year is was 60/90. And many people thought the paper was difficult. The lower it's been was in June 2012- 59/90. So I think this year either it's going to be 59,60,61
Did anyone do a 10/15 marker on enhanced human activity also I believe the 10 marker was on mitigation??

Enhanced human activity
- Increase co2 concentration etc 330ppm
- Industrial revolution

Mitigation**
- Kyoto protocal
- Geniva convention????
Reply 416
I've got a copy of the geographer papers and mark schemes for 2015
CAN I SEE THEM?! pleasseeeeeee
How did everyone do? Im still waiting for my school to open
Original post by grammar12
How did everyone do? Im still waiting for my school to open

An a! It was my best grade and I found it really boring and wanted to drop it! Not now, as other things didn't go as well... Good luck to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending