The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

I'm just dreading this exam eek-
I just hope the grade boundaries are especially low this year :tongue:
Reply 61
Does anyone know if we can use research of the Bradshaw model and Strahel Stream Order Classification system as secondary data or does it need to be researching anticedant conditions/ previous research results for the same place?
Does anyone know how to explain Environmental Quality Survey (EQS)?
Reply 63
Original post by Elocin505
Does anyone know how to explain Environmental Quality Survey (EQS)?

Was the command word definitely explain?
Original post by Issy :)
Was the command word definitely explain?

Just to describe and explain the EQS?
I don't know how to properly explain it in the exam.
For one of the questions it says "draw an annotated sketch map showing the characteristics of your study area"

Does anyone have any idea what I draw here? If anyone has a picture or something please can you share it?

Thanks! :smile:
I find that looking at examiners notes really help. Its useful to see where people dropped marks etc, and they comment on what kind of techniques you need to use to access Level 2 answers etc.
Original post by TheGreatImposter
For one of the questions it says "draw an annotated sketch map showing the characteristics of your study area"

Does anyone have any idea what I draw here? If anyone has a picture or something please can you share it?

My teacher gave us some exemplar answers and its as easy as you think. image.jpg
Original post by TheGreatImposter

My teacher gave us some exemplar answers and its as easy as you think. image.jpg
Original post by MrKmas508

Is that enough for 5 marks? :redface: thanks :smile:
also If you have any other exemplars that may help it'll be much appreciated! :biggrin:

I have some but not all of them got full marks so I'm sorta fustrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
can cross sectional diagrams of the river be used when talking about how you analysed your data and why etc? my teacher said they can but I thought that they were more for data presentation and most people talk about spearman's rank etc?
Does anyone know if we can use research of the Bradshaw model and Strahel Stream Order Classification system as secondary data or does it need to be researching anticedant conditions/ previous research results for the same place?

I don't know about the second one, but the Bradshaw Model is what it is - a Model.

A past question was "Outline the aim and describe the theory, idea, or concept from which your aim was derived", and that's the situation in which the Bradshaw Model (and probably the other one, idk what it is) would be used.

For secondary data, you'd need data from another river (width, depth etc.) to show whether or not that also supports your findings.

Hope this helps :smile:

At our school we did two investigations, one for rivers and one for population... the population one has better info for secondary data (census), but I'd still rather use my rivers one xD
(edited 8 years ago)
does anyone know how to construct the proportional divided circles for this exam?
Original post by laura_lush97
does anyone know how to construct the proportional divided circles for this exam?

My school gave us a booklet on graphical skills.

It says :
The method for drawing proportional circle or semi-circles is:
1) Calculate the square root of the values
2) Multiply each square root by a constant: this gives you the radius of each circle.
3) Draw the circles and mark the scale on the map.
The circles can be divided.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 74
Good Luck to everyone tomorrow

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I'm struggling on a question to do with the strengths and limitations of the Spearman's rank co-efficient test. If anyone can help me that would be great but I know we're all busy revising

:biggrin:
Thank you

Original post by Peppercrunch
My school gave us a booklet on graphical skills.

It says :
The method for drawing proportional circle or semi-circles is:
1) Calculate the square root of the values
2) Multiply each square root by a constant: this gives you the radius of each circle.
3) Draw the circles and mark the scale on the map.
The circles can be divided.
Reply 76
Original post by Emsy_

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I'm struggling on a question to do with the strengths and limitations of the Spearman's rank co-efficient test. If anyone can help me that would be great but I know we're all busy revising

strengths: Shows correlation. Also shows if correlation is statistically significant (therefore not due to chance)
Weaknesses: Needs a lot of data (mine didn't really have enough). There are more but I can't remember any * please can someone add more*
hope this helps and good luck 🍀
Reply 77
strengths: Shows correlation. Also shows if correlation is statistically significant (therefore not due to chance)
Weaknesses: Needs a lot of data (mine didn't really have enough). There are more but I can't remember any * please can someone add more*
hope this helps and good luck 🍀

Thank you! Good luck to you too
If anyone ants exemplar section 2 answers just ask
Reply 79
Original post by Emsy_

- enables us to see a correlation with very high accuracy that a scatter graph cannot do
- takes up to 30 data sets so was appropriate for our study
- takes into account all data

- time consuming when could just plot points on a scatter graph and draw line of best fit
- takes into account anomalies which can corrupt results whereas scatter graph's line of best fit would ignore anomalies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending