The Student Room Group

Should I quit? :(

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If it helps, a shedload of Oxford mod lang and classics grads end up in M&A advisory (investment banking)
Your choice :smile:
Reply 3
You are just as likely to get into law as somebody who has taken a law degree if you take the GDL afterwards (and do well in your degree!). Please don't give up on something YOU want to do based on misinformed (somewhat snobbish) comments which I have seen on here, or the opinions of your parents. Languages are becoming an increasingly important asset, and to have an Oxford degree alongside it would be pretty impressive too. I'd say go for it
Reply 4
Tell your parents suck their respective mothers. Do what you want to do.
Thank you.

I think my parents say that because we come from a relatively poor background, and they just want me to get a good job which makes a decent amount of money...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

No you should not quit. Getting into Oxbridge is a chance that comes once in a lifetime. Don't worry about your parents, with a little bit of patience I'm sure they'll come around and be more open minded.

Best of luck in all of your endeavors.
Original post by cranberrie'spy
Don't worry about your parents, with a little bit of patience I'm sure they'll come around and be more open minded.

You haven't met my parents, especially my dad then. He is anything but open-minded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're right I haven't met him and possibly never will, but that doesn't mean it's a lost cause. Maybe you should ask someone they respect and listen to, to talk to them?
Reply 10
did not read/10

but no never quit :unimpressed:
Pretty sure JK Rowling did the same course at Exeter and look how well she's done...

More seriously, though, if there's anything I learned about finding a job, it's far easier getting one if you have a degree than if you didn't, and maybe even easier if the degree is from Oxbridge. And with a course like the one you're picking, it might take some time, hard work ladder-climbing to get to the salary that you want, as it is with many people with arts degrees.

At the end of the day, it's your life, and you only have to ask yourself if your heart is set in it enough to invest 3 or so of the prime years of your life in it.
Well 4 years (maybe 5 at Oxford).

But thank you anyway.

How much would your average solicitor or investment banker earn a year, do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Well 4 years (maybe 5 at Oxford).

But thank you anyway.

How much would your average solicitor or investment banker earn a year, do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on what you do. Solicitor is £30k-40k starting salary, front-office investment banking roles generally start on 45-50k then you get a first year bonus which varies depending on what you do in IB but ranges from 5k-25k in the first year (lawyers get bonuses as well, just nowhere near as nice as the bonuses in IB generally).

But screw your parents, do what you want, it's your life and they don't sound particularly well informed so I'd avoid paying much attention to them...
I come from a working classed background so I fell where you're coming from, It's as though parents cannot see you getting that high up because they didn't.

Where you go is entirely down to you, your parents should be supportive of you no matter where you go in life.

You only get one shot at this thing called life, don't waste it living off the opinions of your peers.
Go for what you think you'll enjoy! I did chemistry at Ox because I find the subject fascinating, but I didn't know what I wanted to do afterwards. I did work experience in finance and research but ultimately decided working in law, specifically working with scientific companies and in patents and IP was what I wanted to do. You can essentially do any degree and move across, as long as you show transferable skills and a passion for your old subject and new. It is an advantage to have people from a diverse academic background as well, so I'd recommend doing what you know you'll enjoy :smile:
Your degree classification will probably be more important than what you actually studied - most graduate schemes just want at 2.1 or a 2.2 in any subject. You're more likely to get a better grade if you study something you have some passion for.
It's not that. I respect my parents for taking care of me and worrying about my exams and such, but they frequently give me these condescending talks about choosing the right career in life and doing the right thing (with an unsubtle undertone of "do chem/IT/law, because you're not smart enough for medicine"). I feel like I'm being slowly cornered into submission, and I'm really afraid that they'll make me agree with them - my parents can be quite scary and strict when they need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Boris Johnson has a degree is classics so it can't be that bad.. :wink:
I just wonder why you want to study classics? Make sure you start with a career choice, and work your way back from that in terms of choosing the right courses, the best universities in terms of networking and faculty, etc etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending