The Student Room Group

G541 Psychology OCR EXAM TOMORROW

Scroll to see replies

I think it definitely was event sampling - it states sampling technique not method. In my revision notes 'sampling techniques' refers to time and event. Whereas 'sampling method' refers to actual participants.
Original post by veryscared123
really i hope it is

GUYS listen, I don't remember but if it said SAMPLING METHOD then the answer is opportunity sampling but if it said SAMPLING TECHNIQUE then it's event sampling so yh which was it?
Original post by MCmnbvgyuio
You only needed to put the most common and least common I think. It wouldn't have really made sense to write anything about the range/mean/et.c because all of the values recorded a different behaviour. You'd only really find a range if you had multiple values recording the same behaviour.

That's what I thought but I thought just putting these down would only give me 2 out of the 4 marks.

It felt too easy to be an answer so I included the range although it will probably give me 0 credit.

I like how it was possibly the easiest question on the paper because anyone even those not taking A levels could have inferred that from the data. I just felt for a 4 mark question I needed to put in more.:smile:
a sampling technigue is opp sampling it says it in my OCR book
Original post by Bambooza
I think it definitely was event sampling - it states sampling technique not method. In my revision notes 'sampling techniques' refers to time and event. Whereas 'sampling method' refers to actual participants.

No it didn't it said method.

Plus while you could infer that it was probably event sampling used it did nto give enough information e.g. whether they were to record the behaviours every time they happened (event sampling) or whether it was recorded for ever 5 second intervals for 10 mins (time sampling)/
Original post by kingdoo
That's what I thought but I thought just putting these down would only give me 2 out of the 4 marks.

It felt too easy to be an answer so I included the range although it will probably give me 0 credit.

I like how it was possibly the easiest question on the paper because anyone even those not taking A levels could have inferred that from the data. I just felt for a 4 mark question I needed to put in more.:smile:

I thought that too but it asked for 2 in the question :smile:.

I still managed to get it wrong first time around :colondollar:
I thought that too but it asked for 2 in the question :smile:.

I still managed to get it wrong first time around :colondollar:

Right well for AS in particular they are not allowed to negatively mark so me writing it down should have no impact (I hope). I should still get at least 2 marks though because I still stated those 2 points.:rolleyes:
Hi guys. The exam was good but I didn't have time to check my answer. I'm stressing soo much about that sampling method question. I wrote event sampling because it said "the frequency of territorial markers ON A BUS JOURNEY" so it is one occasion they are recording behaviour on so it's event sampling. Isn't every observation opportunity sample because you observe the people you see? But I've got a feeling that opportunity sampling is the right answer. Please someone tell me which one is right. I won't be able to concentrate until I know. Thanks
Original post by exam_hater
Hi guys. The exam was good but I didn't have time to check my answer. I'm stressing soo much about that sampling method question. I wrote event sampling because it said "the frequency of territorial markers ON A BUS JOURNEY" so it is one occasion they are recording behaviour on so it's event sampling. Isn't every observation opportunity sample because you observe the people you see? But I've got a feeling that opportunity sampling is the right answer. Please someone tell me which one is right. I won't be able to concentrate until I know. Thanks

me too
Original post by exam_hater

The frequency of the territorial markers does not neccessarily mean it was event sampling. It could have been the frequency of those behaviours recorded during every 5 second intervals for 10 mins which would be time sampling without these details we still did not know which was actually used.

Also not all observations are opportunity. Milgram was an observation but they he collected through self-selecting sampling.
It was definitely an opportunity sample as the description gave details about the sample. There was nothing about timings etc only that it was on a bus.
I can't believe people are still debating this sampling question :rolleyes:

The answer was opportunity sampling, absolutely 100%.
I'm almost certain it said sampling method,since sampling techniques aren't actually a thing. If you've written sampling techniques in your notes then that's kinda your own fault, that doesn't make it the right answer. The correct term is method of data collection.

Also, there is no way you could tell whether they recorded the behaviour every time it was shown, or at regular intervals, because all you were given was the raw data. Therefore it would be impossible to tell between time and event sampling.

Finally, the question asked you to refer to the information you were given. If you had read this you would have seen that in the procedure the researchers were observing people who happened to be on that bus, which makes it opportunity sampling.

And in response to people who claim that all observations use opportunity sampling, this just isn't true at all. You can use any sampling method to get participants for an observation, its just typically opportunity sampling because its quick, easy and almost always gives you a covert study
I agree - I did not once doubt that the answer was opportunity sample. I feel sorry for the 50% of people who would have lost these easy marks.
Also, a similar question regarding the sampling method (quesrion 4) came in the 2013 paper, where the answer was opportunity sample.
The only way to solve this is to ask OCR to accept both answers so everyone is happy. It was an ambiguous question so I believe that everyone should get marked for writing either event or opportunity. If many people are asking them then they have to do something about it. What's there to lose. If you are concerned email them: [email protected]
Reply 95
Sampling technique is not always event/time though, "Obviously it is not usually possible to test everyone in the target population so therefore psychologists use sampling techniques to choose people who are representative (typical) of the population as a whole." from the Holah website for G541 revision. I don't know the answer, personally I put opportunity because I felt the most you could do from the details given was to infer that an event sample was used, it was not explicit enough, however you could tell it was an opportunity sample as it was impossible to control who got on the bus at any given time. This then led on to the part b of how you could tell that the particular sample was used.
Reply 96
Original post by hollyer
To be honest, they could give the mark for either. The sample of participants was selected with opportunity sampling, the data was sampled using event sampling. The question didn't seem clear on which it was asking so they may accept either.

This ^ I don't recall the question saying how was the method collected? It said what type of sampling was used in this study, which usually means how the participants were obtained
For everyone saying they should accept both, I'm sorry but you're just wrong. Event/time sampling are NOT examples of sampling methods (or 'sampling techniques' which doesn't actually mean anything). The only right answer was opportunity sampling because that's what a sampling method is. Its the correct answer for so many reasons. It wasn't an ambiguous question, the point of asking such a simple question was to catch out people that don't know the difference and it seems to have succeeded in doing that very well
For everyone saying they should accept both, I'm sorry but you're just wrong. Event/time sampling are NOT examples of sampling methods (or 'sampling techniques' which doesn't actually mean anything). The only right answer was opportunity sampling because that's what a sampling method is. Its the correct answer for so many reasons. It wasn't an ambiguous question, the point of asking such a simple question was to catch out people that don't know the difference and it seems to have succeeded in doing that very well

This is so accurate!
Original post by Sunnyftw
This ^ I don't recall the question saying how was the method collected? It said what type of sampling was used in this study, which usually means how the participants were obtained

You're right, it didn't say data collection. There was nothing explicit about time at all only participants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending