The Student Room Group

AQA AS History Tsarist Russia Wed 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
'kin ell. Looking at the grade boundaries for all the papers and they are super low - its 50 marks average for an A.
Original post by Issymarsh
What did everyone put for the 24 marker for the 6 question...i completely failed.

I did that question but I'm not even sure what I wrote tbh it was all rubbish. I think this exam has given me PTSD.
Reply 62
Original post by Issymarsh
What did everyone put for the 24 marker for the 6 question...i completely failed.

PARA 1 - Social unrest (strikes in Petrograd due to uneployment/conditions/food shortages)

PARA 2 - Political problems (Gov sets up "military zones" which suspends civilian authority = liberal zemstva annoyed = ZEMGOR = Progressive Bloc)

PARA 3 - Military problems (Battle of Tannenburg 300,000 dead = demoralisation = 66,000 desertions = weaknesses in communications and industry)

PARA 4 - Nicholas's Leadership (Rasputin and decision to go on the front line)

CONC - most important = Nicholas's leadership i put

I think i did pretty bad, cos i didn't include statistics and some of my info on the social unrest/worker unrest was general.
At least this was the side of the course that granted less UMS...hoping my Anti-Semitism paper is either really kind to me, or I ace it, or, hell, both.
Reply 64
Original post by A9M4D
PARA 1 - Social unrest (strikes in Petrograd due to uneployment/conditions/food shortages)

PARA 2 - Political problems (Gov sets up "military zones" which suspends civilian authority = liberal zemstva annoyed = ZEMGOR = ProgressSc3224ive Bloc)

PARA 3 - Military problems (Battle of Tannenburg 300,000 dead = demoralisation = 66,000 desertions = weaknesses in communications and industry)

I think i did pretty bad, cos i didn't include statistics and some of my info on the social unrest/worker unrest was general.

That sounds really good? I completely forgot about suspending civilian authority :frown:

All i spoke about was a railway workers strike and the bread queues turning violent

And then two really good paragraphs on rasputin, tsarina and military failures, dont think it will suffice :frown:
Original post by A9M4D

PARA 2 - Political problems (Gov sets up "military zones" which suspends civilian authority = liberal zemstva annoyed = ZEMGOR = Progressive Bloc)

Lmao, that's a lot better than mine

Paragraph 1: effects of war on the workers; transport and food prices; strikes in Petrograd (which I think i called St. Petersberg....) managed to include some statistics

Paragraph 2: Progressive Bloc, Liberal pressure on government, Nicholas deciding to take Commander-In-Chief, Bolshevik managing to stir up the crowd some and spread their propoganda

Conclusion: workers had been long discontented, the war inevitably made their conditions worse, though Nicholas lost respect of the army and of his former Octoberist supporters etc, the workers probably would've striked anyway
Reply 66
How many marks will you lose out on for not doing a conclusion for a 24 marker
Reply 67
Yeh, do conclusions or even introductions count? I don't think intros do, no?
Intros no, I think you lose marks if you don't do a conclusion, not *that* many though
Original post by benjenstark
Ahh yeah, I said overall he didn't improve conditions because of loss of land which serfs were angry about, and the military remaining overall peasant force which was defeated by a 'Third Rate' power;

Military - I said to preserve autocracy, to reform after Crimean War, to ensure the economy was strong (emancipation - military - factories) because of how military is invariably linked to strength of the economy; so that the army would remain loyal. No idea if this is good or not.

And lol, I saw those two and completely blanked! It's a shame cos I could've gotten statistics in too...

If on q01 I talked about: the crimean war highlighting outdated weaponry and reliance on serf armies etc (1st point); discouraging newly formed Germany from trying to colonise Russia (2nd point); then for my final point returned to the Crimean War showing the need for well trained officers, would I get a level 3 or higher or would this cap me?
Q2 24 was the worst but the rest went below par. Looks like a re-sit next year
Reply 71
I think for 01 12 marker:

THEME 1 = Impact of the Crimean War

THEME 2 = Dmitrii Milyutin's Influence

THEME 3 = Serf Emancipation needed further overhaul of the military for compatibility

THEME 4 = Great Power Status (i.e. German Unification in 1871).
Original post by brandonmcb8
If on q01 I talked about: the crimean war highlighting outdated weaponry and reliance on serf armies etc (1st point); discouraging newly formed Germany from trying to colonise Russia (2nd point); then for my final point returned to the Crimean War showing the need for well trained officers, would I get a level 3 or higher or would this cap me?

Original post by A9M4D

THEME 3 = Serf Emancipation needed further overhaul of the military for compatibility

Well, i'm not an examiner, but I don't see why not, as long as they're explained and linked.

I put all the above but forgot about based Milyutin! Ah well
Reply 73
Average grade boundaries for HIS1H:
Grade C = 42
Grade B = 50
Grade A = 58

Looked at all the grade boundaries for this paper since 2009 and totted them up on me calc. Give or take one or two marks (depends on this years paper) for estimate.
Reply 74
Theoretically, you only need to get 6 marks on both of your 12 markers and then only 14 marks for both of your 24 markers for a C.
Original post by A9M4D
Theoretically, you only need to get 6 marks on both of your 12 markers and then only 14 marks for both of your 24 markers for a C.

That makes me feel a bit better.

Though I know I'll be disappointed either way if I don't get an A
Anyone doing OCR Russia AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
I only had time to use 3 points in the first 24 mark question about domestic reforms improving peasant life - emancipation of the serfs, other reforms such as educational reforms and the presence of opposition groups. Will I lose many marks for not doing 4 different points?
Although i did do both sides of each point so the ways in which it showed improvements to peasant life and ways it didn't, and made a conclusion. Does anyone know if you have to do 4
Reply 78
Original post by A9M4D

Forgot the guys name but I did write about the Franco-Prussian war and the need to defend against expansionist countries (Ottomans, Balkans, Austria, etc)
Woops wrong thread lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending