The Student Room Group

EPQ - Supervisor NOT submitting in my EPQ

Hi.

After spending months of work on my EPQ, my supervisor mentioned to me that he's not gonna be submitting in my EPQ as I've apparently just copied chunks of information from the internet.

What I don't understand is that I have referenced all off my work, completed all the EPF's and I haven't just took information from the internet but books too. Really stressing out now as I'm not going to have enough UCAS points. Any help on what I should do???
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by F000S
Hi.

After spending months of work on my EPQ, my supervisor mentioned to me that he's not gonna be submitting in my EPQ as I've apparently just copied chunks of information from the internet.

What I don't understand is that I have referenced all off my work, completed all the EPF's and I haven't just took information from the internet but books too. Really stressing out now as I'm not going to have enough UCAS points. Any help on what I should do???

This is tough - sounds like you need a detailed discussion with your supervisor and then maybe whoever's responsible for EPQs in your school or college. It's difficult to advise you without more information.
Reply 4
Original post by The Learn Ranger
This is tough - sounds like you need a detailed discussion with your supervisor and then maybe whoever's responsible for EPQs in your school or college. It's difficult to advise you without more information.

Yeah I will speak to him about it tomorrow. My Epq was about a person I chose, who was a philopsopher/Scholar of his time and how he had revived the specific religion I chose.

I first wrote a biography about him got the information from books and internet. Next on how he actually revived the religion. I got all the information from different websites and a few books. I have referenced everything and now I'm being told that I just copied chunks of information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by F000S
Yeah I will speak to him about it tomorrow. My Epq was about a person I chose, who was a philopsopher/Scholar of his time and how he had revived the specific religion I chose.

I first wrote a biography about him got the information from books and internet. Next on how he actually revived the religion. I got all the information from different websites and a few books. I have referenced everything and now I'm being told that I just copied chunks of information :frown:( what a waste of time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Be honest: did you copy-paste entire paragraphs?
Reply 6
Original post by VannR
Be honest: did you copy-paste entire paragraphs?

No I wouldn't say all off it but majority of paragraphs I did, it wasn't all from the same source though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by F000S
No I wouldn't say all off it but majority of paragraphs I did, it wasn't all from the same source though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you copy/pasted the majority of it, even if from different sources, then you are in the wrong,
Reply 8
Original post by F000S

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, but that is plagiarism. The use of references does not excuse word-for-word copying from other sources which are not direct quotations - the narrative has to be original.

You really should have looked into what does and does not count as plagiarism before you submitted your EPQ.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by F000S

http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k70847&pageid=icb.page342054
Original post by F000S
No I wouldn't say all off it but majority of paragraphs I did, it wasn't all from the same source though.Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by VannR
I'm sorry, but that is plagiarism. The use of references does not excuse word-for-word copying from other sources which are not direct quotations - the narrative has to be original.

You really should have looked into what does and does not count as plagiarism before you submitted your EPQ.

Plagiarism is really serious! Is there any reason why you copied and pasted chunks of text? If you were struggling you should have asked your supervisor for help in the first instance. I'm not sure what you can do now though apart from having a discussion with your supervisor :/
Reply 11
Original post by VannR

Oh man I'm screwed. I've went on some plagiarism checker sites uploded my essay on to it and about 13% is copy and paste. How should I solve this problem? Should I quotation marks or change it into my own words?? Any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by F000S
Oh man I'm screwed. I've went on some plagiarism checker sites uploded my essay on to it and about 13% is copy and paste. How should I solve this problem? Should I quotation marks or change it into my own words?? Any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Following Exon's post, it would be prudent for you to look up the specifics of plagiarism and how it can be rectified on the following page:

http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do...icb.page342054

Notice how I credited Exon for the idea which I wanted to use, but which I did not come up with. The idea was created by someone else, and so I credited them for it.
Reply 13
Original post by Leanney
Plagiarism is really serious! Is there any reason why you copied and pasted chunks of text? If you were struggling you should have asked your supervisor for help in the first instance. I'm not sure what you can do now though apart from having a discussion with your supervisor :/

I just thought that it may not have been possible to detect as the websites I was using were not really well known but guess I was wrong :/ Yeah will be speaking to my supervisor by tomorrow when I see him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
the arguments need to be your own work supported by quotes and notes from different sources. ive done one as well with issues of differences of opinion between myself and the marker but this was resolved to get a strong c in the end. however you need to do your own work
Original post by F000S

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by F000S
I just thought that it may not have been possible to detect as the websites I was using were not really well known but guess I was wrong :/ Yeah will be speaking to my supervisor by tomorrow when I see him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you knowingly cheated? Yes, you are deservedly screwed.
Reply 16
Original post by ageshallnot
So you knowingly cheated? Yes, you are deservedly screwed.

bit harsh i think support is a better option,

but if you are able to reword the project to show that you have proposed the arguments then support them with the sources. if you are struggling to propose the argument paraphrase the source and then use it to support as this looks like you have selected your sources well rather than just copied them. if you need any help i am more than happy to try :smile:
Original post by Rhigh1
bit harsh i think support is a better option,

x

If the OP had misunderstood what he was meant to do then I would have had some sympathy. However, he admitted copying from obscure websites in order to try to fool the plagiarism checkers. Therefore no sympathy whatsoever.
Reply 18
Original post by ageshallnot
If the OP had misunderstood what he was meant to do then I would have had some sympathy. However, he admitted copying from obscure websites in order to try to fool the plagiarism checkers. Therefore no sympathy whatsoever.

then whatever happens before submitting we can try and help to achieve a grade. At least he has acknowledged a mistake has been made and now we can try and rectify it.

what did you do your EPQ on?? mine was on class issues within the British education system.
Original post by Rhigh1
then whatever happens before submitting we can try and help to achieve a grade. At least he has acknowledged a mistake has been made and now we can try and rectify it.

what did you do your EPQ on?? mine was on class issues within the British education system.

Why is he deserving of help? He tried to cheat.

I haven't been in education for many years.

Quick Reply

Latest