The Student Room Group

Renting Advice

Hello, I don't know where to post this question to but here we go:

I have recently put down a deposit for a flat in Glasgow. The letting agency has asked us to use LetAlliance in order to do a reference check. LetAlliance will charge myself and my partner £60 each in order to do this. This seems like an unecessary expense on top of our security deposit, deposit, 2 months rent and insurance which they require us to pay within the month.

The email I received stated "Please note, as a prospective tenant in Scotland you have the choice of completing the reference independently. Let Alliance will complete the reference for you and charge a nominal fee of £60.00. This fee is non-refundable once the reference has been completed. The granting of a lease on a rental property in Scotland is not conditional on a Let Alliance reference."

This implies we can get our references independently of this company they are suggesting. However when I emailed asking to do this, and if they could advise what documents the agency would need they said we NEED to use LetAlliance as the letting agency are not trained in reading credit reports.

This all just sounds a wee bit illegal to me. Any advise on this matter?
Original post by RachelJack

I have recently put down a deposit for a flat in Glasgow. The letting agency has asked us to use LetAlliance in order to do a reference check. LetAlliance will charge myself and my partner £60 each in order to do this. This seems like an unecessary expense on top of our security deposit, deposit, 2 months rent and insurance which they require us to pay within the month.

The email I received stated "Please note, as a prospective tenant in Scotland you have the choice of completing the reference independently. Let Alliance will complete the reference for you and charge a nominal fee of £60.00. This fee is non-refundable once the reference has been completed. The granting of a lease on a rental property in Scotland is not conditional on a Let Alliance reference."

This implies we can get our references independently of this company they are suggesting. However when I emailed asking to do this, and if they could advise what documents the agency would need they said we NEED to use LetAlliance as the letting agency are not trained in reading credit reports.

Talk to a lawyer that does pro bono and try and get a free consultation as soon as. A lot of letting agencies thrive of scamming students, so do not go ahead with it if you think it sounds fishy! Speak to family members if you can!
Original post by RachelJack

I'm not an expert on Scottish tenancy law, and the best people to speak to regarding the legalities might be Shelter Scotland, or your SU might be able to offer you some advice.

However, realistically, you don't want to get into a legal battle with the letting agency before your tenancy has even started. Either, you should walk away- and this is probably the best option as a letting agency which seems money grabbing and lacking in knowledge is not the best agency to go with. Or, you should suck it up and pay!

It does seem like you are being charged a lot of fees. Is paying 2 months rent up front usual in Glasgow?
Reply 3
Don't know what it's like at your uni, but ours has an "approved" list of local letting agencies. Your Student Union should also be able to advise on any to avoid.
if you are a student talk to your student union. I doubt it is illegal UNLESS they were not clear about the fees upfront. If you were not clearly told of all fees before paying your deposit then you should be able to get it back and go elsewhere but you might have to use the small claims court(if they have it in Scotland) to recover your deposit.

You could also ask here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=750285&page=107&p=55369823&highlight=glasgow%20let%20alliance#post55369823 as people may be more familiar with Scottish law and local practise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending