The Student Room Group

AQA English Language A A2 (ENGA3) 2015.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by MisterGroger
No, I believe it does come under accent and dialect. In my AQA text book it is in the accent and dialect section, although it's quite vague as to where each section begins and ends. The only other section it could belong to is Language Change and that belongs to all the stuff you might use in section A such as wave theory/substratum/functional theory etc.

We got taught that language variation is also accent and dialect, so there is a possibility of global being question three surely?😄 I think there needs to be more clarification on ENGA3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by Sammyxo
Same and I'm doing English at uni so I need an A fml

me too I need an A so bad and I don't know anything yet fml

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by Liaamm
We got taught that language variation is also accent and dialect, so there is a possibility of global being question three surely?😄 I think there needs to be more clarification on ENGA3

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah same Liam we got taught that too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
The stress is real
Original post by Liaamm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right I'm gonna try to explain what we've been told and hopefully this should clear things up. Accent and dialect is indeed a part of variation and in section A if you choose a variation question then it may include accent and dialect. However variation is NOT classed as a discourse for section B, accent and dialect is. So you may be technically using language variation material if it is on accent and dialect but you aren't answering on variation in the same way as section A. So seeing as accent and dialect has come up twice recently it leads me to believe that accent and dialect wont come up, which includes Global English too.
Reply 65
Right I'm gonna try to explain what we've been told and hopefully this should clear things up. Accent and dialect is indeed a part of variation and in section A if you choose a variation question then it may include accent and dialect. However variation is NOT classed as a discourse for section B, accent and dialect is. So you may be technically using language variation material if it is on accent and dialect but you aren't answering on variation in the same way as section A. So seeing as accent and dialect has come up twice recently it leads me to believe that accent and dialect wont come up, which includes Global English too.

Perhaps this is why a lot of college go for ENGB3 instead, better guidelines I think 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
English has always caused me the most stress out of my A levels, I know it's a 'think on your feet' exam but it's just so confusing for me😖 I think personally I was taught it poorly. I have no theories or research for social class or anything 💭

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can send my notes which I've made from whatever sources I could get (I'm going to send them)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by Itsmattyjayy
I can send my notes which I've made from whatever sources I could get (I'm going to send them)

Posted from TSR Mobile

YEA PLEASE SEND THEM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here's what I've made for language change, it's the best grouping I could do but really there's such an awful structure for our exam...

https://app.box.com/s/pp2bz56ni4c6i6b2k2ekgl98m1wxa1gp

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
So stressed for this exam!! Had rubbish teachers this year and have no clue on how to structure answers properly, can someone explain to me what the difference is between section A and B - like what do u include in each?? alsooooo, would really appreciate it someone could share some notes they have for change & variation! :smile:
And here's what I have made for language variation, I've not complete this, I should have, I did gender for my coursework so I'm hoping some of that stuck in my brain lol.

https://app.box.com/s/7jgzylddhzfw4phuzd31b1x3zcvoqda6

Posted from TSR Mobile
And finally, what I've been struggling with most personally (we've not done a single essay all year except our mock exam in January, my teacher is that bad, no homeworks, no in class practice). I forgotten all my AS knowledge so I've done these since well, yesterday. It's the foundations of analysis

https://app.box.com/s/fp3w4dguomai06xm8bgkchlzcb66uq4i

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Psst Matthew, it's me George!
Psst Matthew, it's me George!

OMG😂 George knows my dilemma well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
And here's what I have made for language variation, I've not complete this, I should have, I did gender for my coursework so I'm hoping some of that stuck in my brain lol.

https://app.box.com/s/7jgzylddhzfw4phuzd31b1x3zcvoqda6

thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Literally feel like I have no motivation for english anymore
Reply 77
Original post by may_1
Literally feel like I have no motivation for english anymore

If you got a fairly good grade last year then you could be in a good position this year (assuming you done well in coursework) 😊 just think positive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
This has only made me more confused 😱😱😱😱😱 I don't understand the difference between section A and B! Do you have to put forward an argument in either?? Ugh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by mcbb
This has only made me more confused 😱😱😱😱😱 I don't understand the difference between section A and B! Do you have to put forward an argument in either?? Ugh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Section A: Language Variation and Change

Section A is designed to elicit candidates’ ability to evaluate ideas and issues about language variation and change by using their knowledge and study and two pieces of data.

The task will be an essay cue requiring the evaluation of a particular idea, proposition or approach regarding language variation and change.

The task will present candidates with two pieces of data. These may be spoken or written texts, word lists, graphical or tabular information about language use or a model representing ideas about language.

Section B: Language Discourses

Section B is designed to elicit candidates’ ability to evaluate how language and language issues are debated and represented in society.

The task will present candidates with two passages about a language topic.Candidates will be given texts about language aimed at a popular, non-linguistic audience and they may be given texts from different times.

The question will ask candidates to:
analyse and evaluate how the two texts contribute to a discourse about language, constituting social knowledge about the language issue
assess the validity of the views about language in the texts, drawing on their own knowledge and study of language.

^^^That is from the specification on the AQA website

From what I understand, they are very similar but Section A you are looking at 2 texts and discussing how language changes or about the different varieties and in this you will have to evaluate these ideas. On the other hand, Section B will be two texts based on views of language change or variation and you will have to evaluate the writer's views whilst still discussing the knowledge you know on the topic. So, Section B is probably more evaluative and you should say "I disagree with their view..." or something.

Make sense?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending