The Student Room Group

Edexcel Economics Unit 1 Exam (6EC01) May 11th 2015 - POLL

This poll is closed

How did you feel about the Edexcel Econ Unit 1 exam?

All the questions were easy 4%
All the questions were hard 1%
All the questions were okay 15%
Section A was easy, but Section B was hard 19%
Section A was hard, but Section B was easy 0%
Section A was okay, but Section B was hard 22%
Section A was hard, but Section B was okay 8%
Section A was easy, but Section B was okay 22%
Section A was okay, but Section B was easy 4%
Literally have no idea how to feel about the paper5%
Total votes: 74
Just wanted to find out how everyone found the exam :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good, you do question 9 or 10 ?
Reply 2
Original post by samoj
Good, you do question 9 or 10 ?

question 9, you?
Reply 3
I did question 10
It wasn't too bad. I did question 9. I always worry a bit about the 14 markers, and the house prices difference one was a bit weird. It wasn't a typical question where you just have to give a bunch of theory then three evaluation points.

Anyone else do that one?
Reply 5
Original post by MouseyBrown
It wasn't too bad. I did question 9. I always worry a bit about the 14 markers, and the house prices difference one was a bit weird. It wasn't a typical question where you just have to give a bunch of theory then three evaluation points.

Anyone else do that one?

Yup, that was the hardest question on the paper for me. Think I got 10/14 on it or so. KAA was easy - evaluation was difficult for me. The only solid evaluation point I got was the fact that the house prices were an average, and for example, on the far outskirts of London the house prices will be much less and more comparable to those in the North East.
There were a couple of awkward multiple choice questions also. That question 8 was a bit weird (the market failure one) and then the question with the graph showing the fall in gold prices had me stumped for a bit. Overall though an okay multiple choice
ooh also, question 10 e) really had me for a while, not much to talk about and generally frustrated that no obvious graphs came up on the data response. PLUS, where were my beloved unstable commodity markets? DX
Original post by AJC1997
Yup, that was the hardest question on the paper for me. Think I got 10/14 on it or so. KAA was easy - evaluation was difficult for me. The only solid evaluation point I got was the fact that the house prices were an average, and for example, on the far outskirts of London the house prices will be much less and more comparable to those in the North East.

Yeah, it was a bit weird because I usually evaluate by looking at cases against the theory. There was no argument against the fact that house prices in London were more expensive! I talked about employment, wages etc, and tried to bring in something else by saying actually costs in London for building would be much higher too - it's supply side as much as obvious demand side.

One minute I think it was brilliant, the next I think I could be zero.
Reply 9
i am depressed housing market didn't come out.
Reply 10
I'm pretty sure that was question 9, was it not?
Reply 11
What did everyone put for question 8? Can you remind me of the questions and your answer for this? 'Twas a bit of a toughie from memory.
Original post by tayz98
What did everyone put for question 8? Can you remind me of the questions and your answer for this? 'Twas a bit of a toughie from memory.

the answer was something about how the external benefits of bus travel are ignored by the price mechanism
Reply 13
Original post by alexlopez4
the answer was something about how the external benefits of bus travel are ignored by the price mechanism

Ah yeah I remember now! Yeah I put that answer also. Wasn't the hardest multiple choice section I've done (the ones from 2009-10 were hard from memory). But I have to admit, the section B was not as student-friendly as I'd hoped. What did you guys find the hardest?
Original post by tayz98

question 8 was about externalities, the right answer was something to do with external benefits from using bus travel
Reply 15
how did you do the last one in Q10?
How did u guys answer q9 e??? And evaluation as well?
Original post by masteroflendic
How did u guys answer q9 e??? And evaluation as well?

I did a negative externalities graph for social costs of the poorly insulated places etc, but then evaluated it by saying it would inflict higher costs, forcing house prices up even higher than they already are in some circumstances. Then talked about the difficulty of quantifying the externalities in the first place, and suggested other methods alongside, like taxing fuel and using revenue from that to subsidise builders to build more efficient houses.
can anyone give a detailed answer of question 9e.. so i can see if i got it rightish or wrong. i did an external cost diagram
Original post by nicole.a.level
can anyone give a detailed answer of question 9e.. so i can see if i got it rightish or wrong. i did an external cost diagram

Read what I wrote above! I was kind of freaking out, cause I did the same thing and wondered if I had answered in totally the wrong way. The negative externality diagram was definitely the right way to start with it.

The question before was a fcuker though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending