The Student Room Group

AQA AS Level French Unit 1 - 21st May 2015 (AM)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nijuuninichi
I agree, I don't think La Publicité has been an essay question for years. I am so ready for it!

My teacher guessed sport or music might come up .. apparently sport hasn't been on for ages :smile:
Does anyone have or know where I can find A grade AS essays? Preferably Internet, sport, music or fashion?
Original post by lafleur96
Does anyone have or know where I can find A grade AS essays? Preferably Internet, sport, music or fashion?

They have exemplar unit 1 material on the AQA website, there are some really good essays on there with commentaries from the examiners underneath if that's any help
If anyone is looking for A grade essays, you might want to look at my notes, much is from french websites, all checked by natives, some errors but not many. (only problem, nouvelles technologies, probably just use my points for internet/portables as washing mashines/electricity arent really new!)

If I remember the notes I usually get 32-34/35
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3252119
Original post by lucyx
Really want advertising but that was in AQA German yesterday so...
Trying to go over some content but haven't really done any French since my speaking exam :s-smilie:

I take German too!!! How did you find the exam and which question did you go for? I chose the friendship one as i was worried the Werbung one would be hard to write about from an original viewpoint, apart from the obvious "Werbung schafft Jobs/Werbung ist bunt..." :smile:
I'm preparing by going over vocab and conjugations (for the grammar fill) but I've given up on general grammar.

I'm quite confident for the reading and listening (been getting close to full marks)

The essay worries me, my standard of writing is fine and when I have access to my notes I usually get 30+ but my issue is remembering or coming up with points - some of the questions are so stupid!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by La_magicienne
I take German too!!! How did you find the exam and which question did you go for? I chose the friendship one as i was worried the Werbung one would be hard to write about from an original viewpoint, apart from the obvious "Werbung schafft Jobs/Werbung ist bunt..." :smile:

Yay, dual linguist buddies! I thought it was okay - I did Werbung, but you're right, it was hard to think of original points.
Do you prefer French or Germ? Are you gonna continue with both next year? :smile:
Resitting AS. Don't feel overly prepared though as forgotten a lot of the vocab :/ the AS exam is shorter than A2 so my timings are a bit off as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I really hope publicity comes up! Ive got two exams thus week, including this retake
Im revising the notes attached and they are helpful. Goodluck eeveryone!
Reply 29
From the grid it look like music hasnt come up, might be worth a while to revise that too n thx
Original post by La_magicienne
I think music and sport are both quite likely, holidays and advertising are also quite possible! :smile:
I made this table, showing which questions have come up since Jan 2012 (the AQA website doesn't go back any further) so you can see which ones haven't been chosen for a while....

Hope this is helpful!!
(June 2014, the relationships question was comparing family and friendship, that's why the tick is in between!)
(Jan 2013, the tick in brackets is because the question was about celebrities, I wasn't sure which category that was!!)
Reply 30
Quick question: Do they always pick essay topics from three different chapter e.g la culture populaire, une vie saine? I also think Publicite is a strong contender for writing
I just dislike the popular culture topic a lot. I'm never picking that essay question! I even had cinema as my nominated topic on my speaking.
I'm just going to revise two sub topics, is it too risky?
Original post by Lamatata
I'm just going to revise two sub topics, is it too risky?

I've done the same because just decided there isn't enough time now.
I've learnt essays for music and sport, may learn one for publicity if I have enough time.
However if you're going to revise two sub topics then its best to go for any out of the popular culture because it didn't come up last year, that means it will definetly come up this year because it follows a pattern. The topic that didn't come up in the previous year, will come up the next year, but my bet for the essay is most likely music from popular culture because it hasn't come up before (shame because I hate the topic but I have learnt an essay on the importance of music, because I doubt it would be the positives and negatives of it)
Original post by jem07
I've done the same because just decided there isn't enough time now.
I've learnt essays for music and sport, may learn one for publicity if I have enough time.
However if you're going to revise two sub topics then its best to go for any out of the popular culture because it didn't come up last year, that means it will definetly come up this year because it follows a pattern. The topic that didn't come up in the previous year, will come up the next year, but my bet for the essay is most likely music from popular culture because it hasn't come up before (shame because I hate the topic but I have learnt an essay on the importance of music, because I doubt it would be the positives and negatives of it)

I also am doing the same thing. I'm currently making my notes on Internet and sport because well I can't write an essay off the bat :frown:. How did you do your music essay revision?
Original post by a-98
People actually like the advertising subject?:s-smilie: Nobody in my class does, haha!

In my class last year, advertising was one of the more popular topics! There was quite a lot to say about it so some people found it easier.
I am categorically NOT answering a popular culture question. Jamais JAMAIS JAMAIS.
Original post by lafleur96
I also am doing the same thing. I'm currently making my notes on Internet and sport because well I can't write an essay off the bat :frown:. How did you do your music essay revision?

I wouldn't bother with internet, because new technology came up last year with the phone topic.
I've just written 5 paragraph starters, for example: La musique est un outil éducative parce qu'avec les chansons on peut apprendre une nouvelle langue. Then I've given an example for each and then developed it with an opinion.
Reply 38
If it were advantages and disadvantages of music (or something like that), what would be disadvantages? Can only think of aggressive rap music leading to violence in society... :s-smilie:
Original post by lucyx
If it were advantages and disadvantages of music (or something like that), what would be disadvantages? Can only think of aggressive rap music leading to violence in society... :s-smilie:

You could possibly talk about celebrity culture, as in singers become obsessed with wealth. Or how there is too much money within the music industry and money should be focused on more important issues?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending