The Student Room Group

Chemistry A-Level!

Hi,

It's been 11 years since I studied chemistry(GCSE Level).

Now I am 27 and really want to go to a good university! I was just wondering whether I am technically 'ready' to start AS-Level chemistry.

I will be paying good money to a good college to learn the stuff.
Will I be able to learn the stuff as I go along or do I need a good grounding in the subject?

Any comments appreciated!
Well in my case I struggle, just make sure you put alot of time into it and you'll be fine.
Within the first 3 months 6 people dropped out in my class haha, kinda wish I had too :')
Reply 2
I got a B's at A-level (bio,chem,phys) in 1991. Did nothing scientific until 2005 when I trained to be a (general) science teacher. I only opted for chemistry when I got a job. Day one the following September I was teaching Y13 chemistry to a class of kids wanting an A*, using nothing but my memory of chemistry and what I had re-taught myself from books.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that with a bit of motivation you will be able to do it. Hopefully, you'll be rather more mature than most of your classmates and will have chosen to be there rather than just falling onto the course 'cos their 16 year-old heads don't know what to do otherwise. You will, therefore, be a bit more disciplined about extra-studies.
I'd say it's always best to be prepared. Maybe buy one of the GCSE revision guides and recap over the basics (atom structure, using a periodic table, balancing equations, bonding, simple reactions). As a whole though, I'd say chemistry isn't all that reliant on GCSE as long as you've got a basic understanding of how science works. I was lucky to get the grade that I did at GCSE (A) but at A-Level I've just remained sat on a comfortable A because most of the content from GCSE is re taught and expanded upon. Good luck either way!!
As suggested I'd read over the basic concepts from GCSE, but otherwise you should be fine provided you stay on top of the work. If you let chemistry get on top of you it can be a nightmare to take back control.
Reply 5
Like others have said, just make sure you have a basic understanding of topics at GCSE and just stay on top of it when you start learning the A-Level content.

A lot of people seem to think they can get away with doing very little, and then struggle and quit.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine - just remember to stay focused :h:

Quick Reply

Latest