The Student Room Group

Raf

not sure if this will help but that other RAF thread is over a year old and it just won't die. (plus it is a pain to wait for the last page to load up) So if anyone has any questions about applying, AFCO, OASC, training, etc. Then post it below and I am sure someone will be able to help! Or if you have any advice for people. Cheers guys!

P.S- anyone know their dates for OASC? And seeing as everyone is wanting to do Pilot here, is anyone interested in Operations? (Provost, Fighter Controller, Air Traffic Controller, Intelligence, RAF regiment, etc.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I had thought about the regiment; if I hadn't of got into school after my GCSE's, it was an option for me. I'm not sure if I'd honestly be cut out for it, though. As it is, I might put down intelligence as my secondary option; I would have said WSO, then I found out - and I *think* this is right - that they go through the same aptitude tests as pilots. Whoopsies!

Does anyone know when the deadline is to apply for Direct Entry? Does the application go at the same time as university applications?
Also, I was told today that by my AFCO I could be an officer through direct entry - did I misunderstand?

Thanks for any help :smile:

andy.
Reply 2
WSO's are being phased out of service due to the fact that there is no need anymore. New aircraft such as the Typhoon and JSF are single seat. Intelligence is almost as hard to get into as pilot, it is a very popular choice. Not sure about the uni stuff, have you asked AFCO?
Reply 3
This is what I found though you probably already know it.

The RAF sponsors sixth formers and undergraduates who will go on to RAF officer careers including catering, science, engineering, and medicine or dentistry.

RAF Sponsorship can be worth over £4,000 a year for two years of a three-year degree course, depending on your eligibility and which RAF officer jobs your degree subject can be a gateway to.

If you’re sponsored at college, you’ll join the nearest University Air Squadron. You’ll have the chance to interact with the RAF, and can get free flying lessons. You’ll have to make a commitment to serve with the RAF. How long depends on the career you choose.

If you mean direct entry from school, yes you can do that an become an officer. Thats hopefully going to be what I am doing.

AFCO should be able to tell you when the deadline is, I remember them telling me but I can't remember at all what it is. If you were just going to go straight in from school then recruitment is year round. Though the MoD is making cutbacks so I am not sure if it will change.
Reply 4
sublime_envy,

That info is great - thanks! :-D You hope to go in straight after school also? I wasn't until today, but then found that if I wait until after university, it's one try only, and that's it!

I'm hoping I can apply for university and for direct entry at the same time - I'll phone the AFCO and find out when. Although I need 2 A-level passes, I think I probably need to start the process before I get my grades - otherwise I wouldn't have the selection and everything finished before I would have been due to start college - since if I fail, I'm doing that and then applying. It's pretty confusing, knowing when to apply and everything :smile: Well, for me!

Thanks for that info :smile:

andy.
Reply 5
sublime_envy
WSO's are being phased out of service due to the fact that there is no need anymore. New aircraft such as the Typhoon and JSF are single seat. Intelligence is almost as hard to get into as pilot, it is a very popular choice. Not sure about the uni stuff, have you asked AFCO?

But surely there is still a position for WSOs in aircraft such as the nimrod, and I think other aircraft as well?
Reply 6
flashman,

I'm not sure, but I think sublime_envy meant just in fast jet, since that's what I'm hoping to get streamed for.

Correct me if I'm wrong :smile:

Incidentally, has anyone ever thought about heli - what it'd be like?

andy.
Reply 7
WSO's are generally not being activly recruited though ask at your AFCO. Fast jet WSO's are being eliminated. As for multi engine and rotary I am not sure but when you are looking at a Nimrod it takes a crew of 15 to fly I believe. A lot more emphasis is being placed on Fighter Controllers recently seeing as they only appeared after WWII
Reply 8
Me? I have wanted to join for years but held off until I was sure I was making the right decision. I have been to school, did one year of uni, dropped out b/c of fees, took a year out to think about my future and career goals and voila, here I am! Back where I started and still wanting to join, so I am.
Reply 9
Grrr!

Looks like I'm going to uni first. I was thinking - what happens if I'm accepted for training (yay!) and then don't make the grade during training? Degreeless... going into university late... extra fees...

But if I go to uni... assuming I pass selection (BIG assumption but we're talking hypothetical, here) I'm guaranteed a place in training at the end... higher pay... Win win, I guess.

So university it is.

andy..
Reply 10
yeah uni would be good if thats the way you want to go though it is hard to get sponsership, very competitive. I personally wouldn't be able to wait 4 years so am joining RAF first then doing an open degree through them. Remember if you get sponsership you have to join UAS.
Reply 11
I wanna join the UAS - that's a bonus if anything :-D

I *really* don't wanna wait 4 years either, yknow, but what happens if I have to drop out of training? What're you gonna do if (gawd forbid) that happened to you?

I'm just wondering what other peoples plans are.

andy.
Reply 12
I wont drop out. The only way I wont get in is if they tell me I'm not good enough. I've worked too hard and waited too long. I know this is what I want to do now. Dunno about other people though....
Reply 13
that's what I meant, sublime_envy - if you're forced too drop out becaz they tell you to - 'kicked out' is more apt, I guess. Obviously this is hypothetical, and related to everyone - not just yourself. You said before though that you're gonna try and get into a second choice within the RAF, right? I guess that makes it different for ya.

andy.
Reply 14
sublime envy,
i've got oasc on june 22nd and am only applying for int. gettign a bit stressed about now, especially as i'm still doing my finals for another week but hey, i'm sure it will be good!
Reply 15
_pb_boi

Incidentally, has anyone ever thought about heli - what it'd be like?

There're no slots for rotary WSOs anymore; the rotary force is going to pure 2 pilot ops.

For a pilot, it'd be dirty, dark, and full of the army. Other than that it's a good way to get promoted...
Reply 16
sublime_envy
WSO's are generally not being activly recruited though ask at your AFCO. Fast jet WSO's are being eliminated. As for multi engine and rotary I am not sure but when you are looking at a Nimrod it takes a crew of 15 to fly I believe. A lot more emphasis is being placed on Fighter Controllers recently seeing as they only appeared after WWII

They're not being eliminated; the IPS target's dropped to 20, but we still need them. The GR4 is going strong for an absolute minimum of another 10 years; and with Typhoon 10 years late, expect the GR to struggle to 2020!

The F3 fleet's still recruiting, as it's not going to be phased out for a while. F3 squadrons have taken up a SEAD role so will be around for a while up at Leuchars if nothing else.
Reply 17
There're no slots for rotary WSOs anymore; the rotary force is going to pure 2 pilot ops.

For a pilot, it'd be dirty, dark, and full of the army. Other than that it's a good way to get promoted...

Nah I meant what it'd be like as a rotary pilot, not WSO :smile: But as you say, full of the army, not that I have *anything* against them, those boys are tough.

andy.
Reply 18
Hey guys,

I've been monitoring the RAF topics for a couple of months, decided I might as well post something. Wzz, has to be said, you've been happily balancing out this universe for a while now!!

I originally wanted to join the RAF as a pilot, but after a short while realised that I am much more interested in a commision and what it stands for than any given job. Eventually, I settled on the Regiment as my first choice career. Soon after, I found that one of my friends had also joined the Regiment, but as an Airman, which was a suprise. I have always been drawn to a military life, as my father is an RSM(I) in the TA.

Currently I'm in the death throes of Sixth Form, exams impending, and going for an interview this Thursday to see if they'll take me on as a retained fireman. Also, I am trying to join the TA for a year or so before commiting myself to what will (hopefully) become a career for me, depending on if they want me in their gang or not :smile:

Anyhow, I was just wondering what everybody else was doing for as preperation. Don't worry I'm not here to say "well, if that's what they're doing to get in, then I have to do that too!", just wondering is all. I only have one other friend considering a career in the RAF, but I think a year in the ATC has given him the impression that they'll be clamouring to get their hands on him! But then again, he's just that kind of person :smile:

Obviously I'm worried that the RAF will sack me off before or during Cranwell; anyone else feeling the same or similar? Just looking for people who are looking at this from the same viewpoint I am.

Anyway, signing off.
Reply 19
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but i'm at OASC on Tuesday, i had a brief chat with my AFCO Flight Lieutenant on Friday. Turns out due to the drop in intake requirements there are now only 4 places left for Aircrew in this financial year and he gave me no assurances that any of those places are for pilot. Also operational support positions are now 88% full so those going for Intelligence branch may be similarily screwed. Now there are so few places left they have raised the bar considerably, expect to have to be twice as good as those who managed to get in earlier. Given that these places seemed to have gone fast, i.e. from April to now i can't really see there being any Aircrew positions left in another few weeks. I am really quite cross about the whole thing i applied last October and have been sitting around for eight months just to get to this point and now to be told that there are hardly any jobs left (in the braches i was aiming for) has made me grit my teeth a bit. Anyway guess i'll give it my best shot over the three days, i certainly won't be playing nice with the competition at any rate. Plan B is the Marines and helicopter pilot or intelligence, Plan C might just have to be the Army. Eeek. Cheers.

Latest

Trending

Trending