The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 1

How did everyone find that then?

I was annoyed by the lack of megacity and the 5 marker on fair trade.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yh I was disappointed about the lack of TNCs in the paper.
What do you think the grade boundaries will be like? What question did you answer in section b?
Reply 2
I answered question 7. I think I messed up part a but did reasonably well on part b - it was about the distribution of flooding so I explained El Nino, La Nina, atmospheric circulation and how low lying land is prone to flooding. What about you?
Reply 3
Last year it was 60/90 for an A, but that was really difficult. I'm estimating around 65/90 for an A this year.
There was a lack of case study questions I thought like poland and Arctic and the Philippines and tncs and mega cities aka lots of it was common sense, I thought it was a weird paper, not awful though
Reply 5
Original post by Confused12345678
There was a lack of case study questions I thought like poland and Arctic and the Philippines and tncs and mega cities aka lots of it was common sense, I thought it was a weird paper, not awful though

I have no common sense :frown: Struggled to talk about why California receives drought - only mentioned La Nina!

Also dat question about economic effects of global warming on Africa WITHOUT referring to agriculture?!?
Don't worry I forgot that rainfall causes landslides so I put sea level rise how dumb easy mark lost
Reply 7
Original post by Remne
I answered question 7. I think I messed up part a but did reasonably well on part b - it was about the distribution of flooding so I explained El Nino, La Nina, atmospheric circulation and how low lying land is prone to flooding. What about you?

I answered question 8 but badly. It was on human activity enhancing the greenhouse effect so I wrote about the destruction of sinks/burning fossil fuels. I was running out of time and i think most of my points were repeated.

What did people write for 8a?
Reply 8
Original post by Confused12345678
Don't worry I forgot that rainfall causes landslides so I put sea level rise how dumb easy mark lost

Me too. I put river flooding then coastal flooding. Herpaderp.
Reply 9
Original post by Remne
I have no common sense :frown: Struggled to talk about why California receives drought - only mentioned La Nina!

Also dat question about economic effects of global warming on Africa WITHOUT referring to agriculture?!?

I said global warming increase malaria which means less people working
Reply 10
I thought it was quite silly. Obviously over revised case studies, content for them to only ask a few things. Disappointed that people who may have put loads of work in will not get as good grades as those who may have glimpsed through a revision book.

I found the essay questions to be as bad as each other!

Is anyone going to create an unofficial mark scheme?
**** exam, shagged edexcels mum
OMFG THAT WAS AWFUL none of the questions directly related to case studies- and I knew **** all about Africa, and couldn't think of ANYTHING that contributed to droughts in Cali :frown: don't worry everyone - I took one for the AS geography team and lowered the grade boundaries for you all!
Reply 13
Original post by Remne

Damn. Did it say without agriculture?!
Reply 14
Mucked up the drought question and forgot la Nina existed so put super generic points.

The one about south African farmers was weird too like idk what they should do.

Also chose a bad question for the essay as I have no knowledge when it comes to hazards yet chose the question on them -.-

also rushed part b oh well
Haha I forgot about Volcanic ash for the short term causes of climate change.
At least I didn't start to sob in the exam like one lad in front of the hall.

Did everyone else also do question 8? I did 9 but my entire class did 8. :/
Reply 16
Reasonable paper in my opinion. For those who are criticising the exam for not allowing students to refer to their extensive knowledge on case studies, all geography exams are like that.

The only questions I found fairly difficult was the one on 'iHub' and how it causes more flows or something along those lines? What did everyone put for it?
Not bad. Because of the difficult 10/15 markers I spent too long deciding on which one to do. Went with Q8. Anyone remember the questions and know predicted grade boundaries for an A, B and C?
Reply 18
Original post by OL350
Reasonable paper in my opinion. For those who are criticising the exam for not allowing students to refer to their extensive knowledge on case studies, all geography exams are like that.

The only questions I found fairly difficult was the one on 'iHub' and how it causes more flows or something along those lines? What did everyone put for it?

I disagree - past papers usually ask you to relate to a study.

In regards to the answer - I put:

New technology allows the population to move away from an agricultural economy as there are more chances for education, this increases investment from TNCs who may place their research centres there. This ensures they the places remain "switched on"

I am not sure about the second point - I said that technology ensures people can stay in contact through Facebook. Increasing globalisation as it is the process of people becoming "integrated" as one.

Anyone else pick question 10 for section B?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending