The Student Room Group
luke88
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate area of the forum to ask this question but I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I am deciding on deffering my place at university or starting elsewhere, I haven't made a decision yet.

If I do decide on finishing university for the rest of this academic year, is there any possibility I could go back and resit some of my modules I did in the summer?
:s-smilie: I'm assuming you're doing A2's now?

Yes, it is possible to do resits, best time would be the year after you finish your A-levels (not after uni as that complicates things). HOWEVER, I've heard that quite a few A-level syllabuses are changing in 2008, but I think you should be able to get away with it, i.e. it will be the AS year who start the new syllabus.

If you want to resit, you must decline your grade by the end of september, unless you want to pay late fees... If you don't, you'll either have to send back your certificate, or resit all 6 A-level units for the subjects you would like to do resits in.

luke88

I mean, I would like to resit something like 6 modules at the most, two for each subject. I was wondering if I could teach them my self and then get a centre (i.e a college) to allow me to sit the modules there?
Yes, it's called private candidate entry. You need to find a centre which accepts private candidated (I suggest phoning up local schools and colleges). Most importantly, you must use your UCI, otherwise you'll have to sit every paper from scratch.

Inter-exam board timetable
Perhaps you want to re-sit in January but you school doesn’t allow it - enter as a private candidate (Edexcel guide).
Ah right I see now (sorry Roger Kirk). I think you should be fine with the declining because I'm basically in your position (take it you were born in 1988?), except I'm not at university yet. My Biology A-level has been certificated this month, but I'm resitting a unit this January and doing a 'late-decline' if my grade improves, when I find out in March. So if I don't improve, I can just leave the certificate as it is. But because you definitely want to improve, I'd contact the relevant examboard, and get the neccessary documents etc. for you to send back your certificate(s). Once the decline process is in motion, you can resit whatever you need to. Declines are free, but they require a formal letter as to why you are declining. Late declines (like what I am doing) are something like £20.

I doubt you'd be able to do the exams in January because it's just over a couple of weeks before the exams start. However, I have heard that there are some centres which accept really late entries, but it don't come cheap. I'd wait until June, you'll be more prepared then as well :smile:

Hope that helps :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending