The Student Room Group

AQA AS Geography unit 1 12th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SubwayLover1
Thats what you were supposed to do :smile:!

I just read it completely wrong :smile:

Ah well, you'll get some marks and it was only 7 marks, you'll be fine. Good luck with the rest of your exams!
Reply 81
Anyone have any predictions for the test on Friday, especially for the field work?? And am I the only one who found this sooo difficult
Original post by Sacred Ground
Ah well, you'll get some marks and it was only 7 marks, you'll be fine. Good luck with the rest of your exams!

The rest of the sections went well :smile: I wanted full ums but bloody population!!!
for the energy 15 marker i wrote about BP its ships ,refiniers, oil reserves, etc Then I went on and talked abut the Niger Delta pollution(produciton) and Exon Valdez oil spills(distribution). Then I come out with a conclusion that I agree if only it is sustainable and produce little pollution
Do u think I can get a good 10-11 marks?
Original post by The guy01343
Do u think I can get a good 10-11 marks?

I don't see how the sustainability part links in with how important TNCs are with the production and distribution of energy. Other than that, it seems good enough.
Original post by Sacred Ground
my answer sounds a lot worse than yours aahaha, I said something like buenos -forgot name- can be applied to the dtm because.... And then that India and the UK are anomalous because they contradict the dtm, this is shown by...

Ahaha, i had a amazing teacher, he predicted the population theories did anybody also do energy?
I was walking about the essay not the 6 mark dtm, i just said no stage 5 originally etcc
Original post by The guy01343
for the energy 15 marker i wrote about BP its ships ,refiniers, oil reserves, etc Then I went on and talked abut the Niger Delta pollution(produciton) and Exon Valdez oil spills(distribution). Then I come out with a conclusion that I agree if only it is sustainable and produce little pollution

I did this paper it talked about key roles Bp played, which i did they produce from OPEC countries? Middle east, lead to conflict Geo politics, and they mainly distribute to MEDC etcc?? It was no on sustainability, it was production and distribution
Population structure of a country i used England stages 4 going into 5, Aging population Eu migration from Ledcs increases economically active members and birth rate, affect Ledc gender imbalance males leave most skilled people, second part of the question balance between population and resource Malthus population n theory My 15 mark question for population
Original post by Tarnybxxx
I did this paper it talked about key roles Bp played, which i did they produce from OPEC countries? Middle east, lead to conflict Geo politics, and they mainly distribute to MEDC etcc?? It was no on sustainability, it was production and distribution

I said the production and distribution should be sustainable as it is the TNCs role to produced and distributed with as little pollution as possible I chose Niger Dealta to exaggerate the harm it costs to the environement
Original post by Sloanepeterson
having looked at june 13 the paper seemed about the same difficulty and an A was 75 so i reckon its around that mark:/

No chance was that the same level. This was the hardest there's been, definitely. I found last year's significantly easier than this. Many people have made many mistakes. Also the head of AQA said this would be a "stinker" of an exam at a conference a couple of months back.
Original post by Shannon56
Hey,

I did Rivers, Coasts, Population and Health. I know the Rivers questions were so easy! Especially the 15 mark question about the changes downstream! It seemed like some of the questions have already been used in other papers... I didn't use any case studies for rivers but for coasts I used 2 so it sort of balances out for Physical?

Population was easy too, the first question were just re drawing the DTM.

I do think the boundaries will b really high this year too though, just seemed much easier than last years.

How do you think you did? :smile:

Hey! I did the same options as you!:'D How did you find the human 15 markers, I found them a bit hard..
Original post by Luis Suarez
No chance was that the same level. This was the hardest there's been, definitely. I found last year's significantly easier than this. Many people have made many mistakes. Also the head of AQA said this would be a "stinker" of an exam at a conference a couple of months back.

i suppose its all subjective but which optional topics did you do? might be why we have differing opinions on it.
Original post by Peppercrunch
Oh yeah. That was the question I was talking about. Did you talk about the prominence of lateral erosion in the middle and lower course resulting in a flatter, wider cross profile and a shallower long profile?

Also, the prominence of headward and vertical erosion for the upper course creating a steep long profile and a steep, relatively thin cross profile.

I talked about that :smile: Just kinda linked it in with the Bradshaw Model with the changing profiles and features :smile:
Original post by Sloanepeterson
i suppose its all subjective but which optional topics did you do? might be why we have differing opinions on it.

Deserts and Energy. I thought the 15 marker for rivers was hard personally. Population wasn't easy at all but I think I managed to do quite well on it.
Honestly, i thought it was decent... I didn't write a whole lot of TNC tobacco in health but generally was alright, i tried talking about the main issues and answer the question properly with reference to ob creation but the state of workers are victims to violence, ect ect.
For pop, I talked predominantly about internal migration and pull/push factors of domestic migration. not really immigration :/
i liked the river 15 marker. i basically went in chronological order about the processes of the long profile, from the upper --> lower. everything i could think of that effected it and why and how. also the gradient and velocity. also the bradshaw model, plus kinetic energy. the cross profile was on my answer alot as well. hope for good marks. For what is a drainage basin i wrote: it is an open system... bla bla bla and said inputs and outputs and watershed is what separates each drainage basin. doubt ill get 2 marks for that?i hope though.
for the coast question, i used sea walls and said everything i can think of for them.i used gabions and said everything about them, like cost and examples of each. Then i said its very common for a coast to use both of these and explained why and cost effective plus cheaper and easier.
Coast Japan article i literally lifted data from it and said this and this is the consequence and because of this and this cholera outbreak possible and conflict between food ect ect. i wrote alot on that 7 marker i think?
I did crap for the Rias question - literally i drew a peace a cragp and labelled it in as much detail as i could, and even wrote an example of Milton Haven :P
the causes of coast flooding i wrote about the tsunami one. outlined the plates, the manitude, the countries affected, earthquake. (4 marks)
population had an easy first 5 marks on the DTM. Then i put Germany as a stage 4? i described it as clear due to low birth and death but is transitioning into stage 5, decline.
rivers, outputs i talked about evaporation, evaportranspiration and for some reason, tributaries,(outputs of the drainage basin) 3 marks.
the picture of the river i said: meander, flood plain, river bluffs, levees, the point bar has sediment deposited on it being shallow. the actual explain Meander was complicated, i wrote alot and think it was good :frown: but im starting to double guess myself.
overall: i think for rivers: 21, coasts: 20; Population (depends on whether my 15 marker would be correct or incorrect as if its correct, i get 7 marks): 16? health: 16. Im really bad at marking myself and never give myself the full mark even when the teacher gives me it because idk, better safe than sorry i guess. So overall i think i may have got mid 70's... really need an A for this exam.
Original post by Luis Suarez
Deserts and Energy. I thought the 15 marker for rivers was hard personally. Population wasn't easy at all but I think I managed to do quite well on it.

oh i was quite pleased with the population one tbh but that's only out of sheer luck that i revised migration about 5 minutes before the test:biggrin: and yeah i didn't like the energy 15 marker tbf but i did glaciers so thats probably why we're thinking differently about grade boundaries as i really liked the 15 marker in that one... it gave loads of choice and was not ambiguous at all:smile:
No, it was something like 'To what extent does the DTM include countries at different stages of development?'
Original post by Dan Leech
No, it was something like 'To what extent does the DTM include countries at different stages of development?'

Discuss the effect of what migration does to the population structure of a country and the effect on the balance between Pop and resources.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending