The Student Room Group

How rare is 4 offers???

Hi guys im in year 9 and my older brother has 4 offers for medicine. hes always bragging about it and saying 'its so rare' and 'im a genius' is this true that it is rare or is it common. i know people with 4 offers for other stuff like english and history but is medicine harder?

im sick and tired of his bragging! i want to know if he is truthful or just lying to me
Original post by thestudent101
Hi guys im in year 9 and my older brother has 4 offers for medicine. hes always bragging about it and saying 'its so rare' and 'im a genius' is this true that it is rare or is it common. i know people with 4 offers for other stuff like english and history but is medicine harder?

im sick and tired of his bragging! i want to know if he is truthful or just lying to me

It's pretty rare, but it doesn't make him a genius.
Original post by Democracy
It's pretty rare, but it doesn't make him a genius.

How rare is it? are there any statistics available so I can see for myself? I want to prove him wrong sooo bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know where he applied? The problem is different universities have different entry requirements: if you applied to Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial and King's College for example, it would be a LOT harder to get four offers than if you applied to universities with lower entry requirements
Original post by neon_reaper
Do you know where he applied? The problem is different universities have different entry requirements: if you applied to Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial and King's College for example, it would be a LOT harder to get four offers than if you applied to universities with lower entry requirements

You realise we're talking about medicine, right?
... i did not. and that is why you if you ever click on something in 'latest discussions' you should check what forum you're in. Thank you democracy.
Reply 6
He is a genius.
You realise we're talking about medicine, right?

Would you agree that getting 4 offers from Oxford, UCL, Imperial and KCL would be more impressive than getting 4 offers from Plymouth, Lancaster, HYMS and Sheffield?

I thought that some universities are more competitive than others (typically Oxbridge et. London)?
Original post by solarplexus
Would you agree that getting 4 offers from Oxford, UCL, Imperial and KCL would be more impressive than getting 4 offers from Plymouth, Lancaster, HYMS and Sheffield?

I thought that some universities are more competitive than others (typically Oxbridge et. London)?

yeah the former is more prestigious and have bmat tests whereas the latter doesn't..

4 offers is impressie, doesn't make him a genius, he hasn't graduated yet...
I think you both need to grow up but i'll give you BOD since you're in year 9
Original post by solarplexus

I would not agree, since they all have different selection criteria for a start. Someone who did well enough in the BMAT to get an interview at Imperial might have bombed the UKCAT and not been able to get a Newcastle interview. And vice versa. Horses for courses.

"More impressive" is a subjective argument anyway - objectively, even getting one offer is impressive enough; four is exceptional. Quibbling over names and supposed prestige is just stupid.

Not really.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios

Yeah its pretty much pretty rare, but he shouldn't be bragging about it constantly, i mean if he's doing it in public people will think he's a douche and stuck up.
Ahhhh ok. He said to me 'only 1% of applicants get 4 offers that's why I'm special' is this number truee?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhhh ok. He said to me 'only 1% of applicants get 4 offers that's why I'm special' is this number truee?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea, but your brother sounds like a ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember many years ago someone worked it out to be 1.6% (if I remember rightly).

Still doesn't make him a genius though. Are you sure he's not just trying to wind you up i.e. he doesn't really think he's a genius, he just wants to annoy you by going on about it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Be happy for your bro, I mean if he's smart then you come from a smart family :smile:
Reply 15
I would not agree, since they all have different selection criteria for a start. Someone who did well enough in the BMAT to get an interview at Imperial might have bombed the UKCAT and not been able to get a Newcastle interview. And vice versa. Horses for courses.

"More impressive" is a subjective argument anyway - objectively, even getting one offer is impressive enough; four is exceptional. Quibbling over names and supposed prestige is just stupid.

Not really.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios

This.

If it were 4 very different medical schools, different in their selection criteria then it would be slightly more impressive.
It still wouldn't make him a genius though, just rather versatile.

I imagine he is doing it to wind you up. That or he is in for a big shock when he arrives at medical school.
Tell him it doesn't matter as the NHS is going to pot anyway and all he has to look forward to is burn out and diminishing remuneration.
No way in hell does it make him a genius

Genius is what i call newton, einstein etc.. People who find new things in science on their own through research and intiuition

People who study for exams and do well is nothing in comparison

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending