The Student Room Group

Applied for a different course but want to do dentistry now

Ive kind of been unsure of what I want to do at uni and Ive got offers for a course i thought i wanted to do but now im not sure if i want to do dentistry.
Ive been predicted A*AA and am doing maths bio chem and am thinking of going to Birmingham uni (which doesn't require UKCAT or BMAT)
Does anyone know if it would be possible to call them on results day and see if i could be accepted onto the course?(if i got AAA)
Original post by swegucation
Ive kind of been unsure of what I want to do at uni and Ive got offers for a course i thought i wanted to do but now im not sure if i want to do dentistry.
Ive been predicted A*AA and am doing maths bio chem and am thinking of going to Birmingham uni (which doesn't require UKCAT or BMAT)
Does anyone know if it would be possible to call them on results day and see if i could be accepted onto the course?(if i got AAA)

I'm really sorry but dentistry is a long and competitive application process. Birmingham took around 2 months looking over personal statements before they offered any interviews, and after that there was an hour long MMI interview which was tough (I think most people who did it will agree). Dentistry courses also have a finite number of places (68) which they have to fill exactly otherwise they get fined or funding is cut, so they made exactly the right amount of offers to fill up their spaces exactly. Also, even though they don't take the UKCAT Birmingham University is a lot more stringent in other areas of the application (Great dental school though!) I don't want to put a downer on it but if you think you want to do dentistry you'd be better off using this time to get a portfolio of work experience in dentistry and work on your personal statement to apply next year, or if your other degree is science-based maybe you could complete that and apply for dentistry after you graduate.
Sadly it's not just about the grades you get: they only make up a small minority of the overall application - I've known of people predicted straight As and A*s and have been rejected by universities for dentistry without even having an interview.
Reply 2
No, they won't take you like that.
Also I thought B'ham requires ukcat now but not sure.
If you want to do dentistry you'll have to take a gap year, rack up the work experience, and reapply next cycle.
Details on the stuff you need to do to get in: work xp, ukcat, statement, interviews, etc. -> http://dentallyinclined.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply

Latest